·
Registered
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Heard that already... But they have not done a lot and other brands bow companies paid Darton for use of their Patents ie cam designs. And possible the engineering to keep said patents has come to the end. Or maybe the guy is aged to the point he wants to retire and get out of the Business? As Darton has been around since the Late 1970's not sure if the same people have been there all that Time? But had an SL50 my first Compound and it never really worked well as to getting arrows to fly well. Arrow under Spined did not know much then as I do now. Only can wait and see what happens as other brands have come and gone as Things Change in the industry what ever happen to another MI Brand "Wheeler" think was the brand with a few decent models they had been gone a long time now?
Only will wait and see what Happens with Darton!
Newaygo1

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heard that already... But they have not done a lot and other brands bow companies paid Darton for use of their Patents ie cam designs. And possible the engineering to keep said patents has come to the end. Or maybe the guy is aged to the point he wants to retire and get out of the Business? As Darton has been around since the Late 1970's not sure if the same people have been there all that Time? But had an SL50 my first Compound and it never really worked well as to getting arrows to fly well. Arrow under Spined did not know much then as I do now. Only can wait and see what happens as other brands have come and gone as Things Change in the industry what ever happen to another MI Brand "Wheeler" think was the brand with a few decent models they had been gone a long time now?
Only will wait and see what Happens with Darton!
Newaygo1
Well yeah, if you listen to the podcast I posted, the owner was 81 years old. He wanted the company to go to another hands on single/private owner that would keep the company traditions. Also, the average tenure of employees is 25+ years.

Darton suffers from advertising and marketing, building excitement. They haven’t done anything ground breaking in the last few years. And as the podcast said, the best bows no one has heard of.

Reactions: METTLEFISH

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Can't Watch the Podcast (slow connection) but this has been mentioned at Archerytalk for a few days many thought the same. Yea working at a job for 35 plus years is long gone now. Most places sell and leave their employees in a big change these days!
Newaygo1

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sure lots of people here have fond memories of Darton bows. Mine was a Viper cranked to the max, like 75lbs. Was a thumper with the big aluminum arrows I had and 31.5” draw. Had an Eradicator sight on it. Still have the bow.

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first bow when I was 8yrs old was a Darton. Grandfather gave it to me.

·
Registered
11,590 Posts
Sure lots of people here have fond memories of Darton bows. Mine was a Viper cranked to the max, like 75lbs. Was a thumper with the big aluminum arrows I had and 31.5” draw. Had an Eradicator sight on it. Still have the bow.
I was just looking at a Viper in a archery shop up in TC. $40 thought what the hell, I should pick it up. Still might.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
My first bow was a Darton SL-30. Never killed a deer with it, but spent many hours learning to shoot when I was 12. Dad bought it for me at a place called Erno’s Archery near Freeland.

Pretty sure that bow is still around in my Dad’s barn somewhere.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Darton makes some great products, their soft spot was sales and marketing. Hopefully that will improve and Darton will get the notoriety that they deserve.

·
Administrator
17,421 Posts
Very sad!:(
I shot Darton from 1982 - 2015. Went from the SL-50 >>>----> 600 WXR >>>----> Darton Cyclone. Killed many deer with all of them and lost very few.
In 2016 I switched to a Mathews NoCam because I wanted the last vertical bow that I would purchase to have wheels in place of the cable slide. Spoke with Darton directly and was told that they had no plans on getting rid of the slide. Love my NoCam, but loved all my Dartons as well.
Pic below is from the last shot taken afield with my Cyclone in 2015... Bow was at least 15 years old at the time..

<----<<<

·
Administrator
17,421 Posts
Hope they keep making them in Hale.
According to the video production is still in Michigan, so that was pretty good news. New owner is set up in Georgia.
<----<<<

Reactions: deepwoods

·
Registered
709 Posts
Darton Archery started their business in 1950,going on 71 years now,They were a really popular bow company locally,and their compounds added to the growth of archery.They did make good bows many within the price range of beginning archers.They were inovative in cam design and engineering,but not on par with companies such as Mathews
and Hoyt.I owned a SL-50 and my oldest son a WH300.Those were good entry level bows and i enjoyed shooting mine!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Nitro225Optimax thanks for posting, sounds like this will be a good deal for darton moving forward.

Reactions: 12Point

·
Registered
11,187 Posts
My first bow was a Darton SL-30. Never killed a deer with it, but spent many hours learning to shoot when I was 12. Dad bought it for me at a place called Erno’s Archery near Freeland.

Pretty sure that bow is still around in my Dad’s barn somewhere.
Bought my first bow at ernos. I was 9. It was a bear mini mag or something like that. 4 yrs later I traded it in at floyds archery in flint. They gave me the price I paid new for the bear bow on a trade in. I bought the darton 50mx. It was same as the SL 50 with wood limbs except they put cams on it. Some of the first cams darton sold i believe. I was so proud of that bow back then! Also bought hawk aluminum climbing stand that summer. Spent all my hay bailing money at floyds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts