Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you long time spearers have any tip on things to have or not have in a spearing shack. Or just a few tips for me. I'm setting up a dark house on a private lake this year. It will be my first time having a shack. I have only speared a few times. What colors and kind of decoy do you guys prefer??? Thanks for any help.

KEvlar

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try viewing the Michigan Darkhouse Angling Assn. website midarkhouse.org we have a lot of information for Darkhouse anglers. What I like to do when I first get to my Darkhouse, is us a small red/white decoy and swim it fast. Then I switch to a silver sided decoy for flash. I usually like a large decoy for muskie, but anchor it well. They usually come in fast and hold on to the decoy. Also, keep a gaff with you. Change decoys often. Unlike boat fishermen, who can move alot, you may have to wait a while for the fish to find you.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We also use daredevils in addition to decoys. Hookless if it puts you over the line limit. Have good luck with the "flashiness". Also try a dead minnow hooked through the tail with a daredevil. Have had good luck with that also.

DougV>

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
dark house tip #1- don't open the door, it lets all the dark out.

dark house tip #2- bring duct tape, great for patching pin holes so the dark doesn't get out.

I've always used a big honkin sucker chub for a decoy, IE 16+ inches.

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
Kevlar, another guy inquired on the in's and out's of pike spearing, I pretty much did a dissertation on everything I found to be effective in my quest for pike. I've built two shanty's I can't tell if you've already built or planning, shoot me a pm if you need specs or something. but this post I responded to gives a pretty in depth analysis on pike spearing. hope this helps. Others have responded on the thread too, BFTrout, Muleskinner, etc, we all gave some pretty good ideas on what works, and what doesn't. while eliminating light is good idea, I sometimes question having to have it pitch black, I've speared pike while clearing the hole for a day of spearing. Door was open and I was seigning the ice from the hole when a 30" popped in to investigate my decoy, I put down my seign and grabbed the spear. Put it through his head and let him thrash while I got the rest of the ice out of the hole. Haha
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120741

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i was at a bait shop in cadillac yesterday. by pilgrims village. he had pike/musky spears for sale. from 79.00-199.00 pricey but man did they look like these spears would get the job done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts