Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw in the Detroit News today reporters saying there's a good chance Dantonio will retire after the season. Anybody have any inside info on this? I'm a Michigan grad but I was shocked to see this. I think he's a really good coach. Maybe not a great recruiter but an excellent coach. I think Sparty would have a hard time replacing him. I just don't think there's that many coaches out there better than him, especially coaches who are willing to leave their present positions. Curious how Spartan grads and fans feel.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I saw in the Detroit News today reporters saying there's a good chance Dantonio will retire after the season. Anybody have any inside info on this? I'm a Michigan grad but I was shocked to see this. I think he's a really good coach. Maybe not a great recruiter but an excellent coach. I think Sparty would have a hard time replacing him. I just don't think there's that many coaches out there better than him, especially coaches who are willing to leave their present positions. Curious how Spartan grads and fans feel.
I bleed green. However, the past few years Dantonio has gone 15-18 against power 5 opponents. It has been beyond frustrating to watch a championship level defense with a JV level offense. To top it off, he refuses to adapt his offense, bring in new ideas or admit his offense is not working. If this team continues to struggle on offense I think it would be time to step down at the end of the season. At that point, the university would have a hard time getting a big name coach to come to East Lansing. I would like to see Mike Tressel get a shot as long as he is willing to hire an OC with fresh ideas and a history of success.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I bleed green. However, the past few years Dantonio has gone 15-18 against power 5 opponents. It has been beyond frustrating to watch a championship level defense with a JV level offense. To top it off, he refuses to adapt his offense, bring in new ideas or admit his offense is not working. If this team continues to struggle on offense I think it would be time to step down at the end of the season. At that point, the university would have a hard time getting a big name coach to come to East Lansing. I would like to see Mike Tressel get a shot as long as he is willing to hire an OC with fresh ideas and a history of success.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Keep in mind, too, that MSU is "reeling" internally via the fine levied and bad press of both the Larry Nassar scandal and the removal of the Dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine, William Strampel...Nassar's former boss. Acting University President, John Engler, fired him...actually he initiated the snail-slow process of firing him, that still drags on.

Various Colleges and departments within the university are undergoing assessments to make sure that the various procedures and checks Luanna K Simons was accused of failing to implement during her tenure are now in place...which will suck-up both money and time, to patch things back together to full functionality.

·
Premium Member
9,588 Posts
He would be hard to replace IMO. He is the face of state football. Gritty, unrefined and usually overachieves with the talent he has. Would hate to see him go.
Agreed. The guy is a great coach in my opinion but is loyal to a fault (with his staff). The offensive side of the ball is lacking and not on par with the defense by a long shot. The guy has always done more with less and to me that is a sign of a great coach.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
The next coach will be Pat Narduzzi and hopefully he will assemble an offensive coaching staff. His current Pitt gig was an Dantonio endorsed dry run to coach MSU when Mark is done. This year, not sure, but soon I feel...
I am a newer State fan as a kid that went to My kids school is a freshman in the football team there, so I told the kid I would be tuning in.

If The current coach does retire, I would like to to see Narduzzi replace him. He has passion, fire in his belly and knows the school.

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
Dantonio is due a bonus of some 4 million dollars just for being the coach on a certain date, early spring 2020?, so odds of him stepping down without collecting are thin. If hire is in house with Tressel, still possible. Narduzzi would have to be after next season.

·
Administrator
17,437 Posts
Loyal! About sums it up for most Spartan fans.
I hope he keeps the season heading in the right direction and sticks around for a few more years.
<----<<<

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Does Dantonio wait until Narduzzi is free from the Pitt contract? That would be a great act of selflessness. Will the seat get hotter as this season drags on? Hopefully he can pull together 8-9 wins, but if he doesn't there will be pressure. I think Tressel is next in line, Narduzzi seems to be liking Pitt and I'm not sure Dantonio is going to stick around and wait. He is certainly starting to look his age. Of course, he does have a $4m retention clause after this season.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Does Dantonio wait until Narduzzi is free from the Pitt contract? That would be a great act of selflessness. Will the seat get hotter as this season drags on? Hopefully he can pull together 8-9 wins, but if he doesn't there will be pressure. I think Tressel is next in line, Narduzzi seems to be liking Pitt and I'm not sure Dantonio is going to stick around and wait. He is certainly starting to look his age. Of course, he does have a $4m retention clause after this season.
Which Tressel are you guys talking about?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Which Tressel are you guys talking about?
Defensive coordinator/Assistant Head Coach Mike Tressel. Very highly regarded and he will be a head coach somewhere soon, whether it's in East Lansing or elsewhere. He might be a better choice than Narduzzi even though he hasn't been a head coach before. Narduzzi's not exactly tearing it up at Pitt.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
It would be a shame, but the man has rebuilt that program to national prominence minus all of the associated arrogance.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just read this ESPN article at lunch

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...rk-dantonio-answer-questions-auston-robertson

If this is true:

Blackwell's attorneys filed a motion last month to compel Dantonio to schedule a deposition for the lawsuit. In that motion, Blackwell claimed that Dantonio had ignored the advice of multiple assistant coaches when he decided to offer Robertson -- a highly touted defensive line prospect -- a spot on the Spartans' roster. Robertson, who had a documented history of sexually violent behavior, sexually assaulted the girlfriend of one of his teammates less than a year after he arrived at Michigan State.

Dantonio's attorneys argued that Robertson's recruitment was not relevant to Blackwell's termination or to the original claims Blackwell made in his lawsuit. When asked in the summer of 2017, Dantonio said Blackwell's contract was not renewed due to "philosophical differences." Blackwell believes he was let go so that the football program and university could blame him for a recruiting class that featured four players who were all convicted of crimes related to sexual incidents within their first year on campus. Blackwell says it was Dantonio's decision -- not his -- to bring the most controversial of those players to East Lansing.

Dantonio would later acknowledge that Robertson was "a risk," but said that he decided to offer the 6-foot-5, 260-pound pass-rusher a scholarship after a "thorough vetting." Robertson had been kicked off his high school football team and banned from the school's campus when Dantonio offered the scholarship.

According to Blackwell's testimony under oath, the two coaches who took part in that vetting process did not want Michigan State to offer Robertson a spot. Blackwell said assistant coach Ron Burton told Dantonio that he didn't want Robertson on the same campus as his daughter. Then-offensive coordinator Dave Warner, according to Blackwell, told Dantonio that they "couldn't really find anybody that could say anything good about Auston."

If this is true, meaning Dantonio offered Robertson a scholarship knowing his history of assault, Robertson should never have been allowed to set foot on the campus of MSU (or any other) to walk among anyone's daughter. And Dantonio needs to be held accountable.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Boy, not sure the future of coach D. Just got ripped by Wisconsin, all the scandals at MSU, and being questioned why he brought a kid that was kicked out of his high school to the team despite alleged warnings.. Not looking good there, would not surprise if it's his last year at MSU. He is a great coach, but hasn't done anything lately.

·
Banned
6,739 Posts
Boy, not sure the future of coach D. Just got ripped by Wisconsin, all the scandals at MSU, and being questioned why he brought a kid that was kicked out of his high school to the team despite alleged warnings.. Not looking good there, would not surprise if it's his last year at MSU. He is a great coach, but hasn't done anything lately.
Yep, today was an ouchie. Fn wiscy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts