Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first pair of good upland boots was a modle by Rocky, 200 grams of thinsulate, gortex, I wore them for three full seasons as my sole pair of boots, plus half a summer in Alaska doing all kinds of crap. I wore the sole off them, they were a lot to hot, but they held up great, and never leaked!

I replaced them with a pair of Irish Setters with 200 grams of thinsulate, they are a little big and got stretched out, but I still wear them when I need warm dry boots.....I am not a big fan of the soles though - vibram pretty flat.

The next season my brother was working at Gander, he got me a pair of Danner Bighorns at a great deal. They were great boots, never leaked, problem was the stiching came un-done after a season or a little less. So I decided to send them back, they sent me a new pair, I thought well maybe I would like a pair of light weight non gortex boots, purchased some non-insulated Danner Sharptails. Great Boots and have held up great. So I rotated the new pair of gortex with non gortex last season. GORTEX boots wore out same area after a season. They quit making this model and sent me a pair of Pronghorns, nice light boot, but they leak, have leaked from day one, I even Nik Waxed them and they dont leak for a half hour. I know Gortex is not rubber, but give me a break.

Three pairs in three seasons.

I think I will try and get another pair and just closet them.

For what it is worth I love the sharptails, maybe try a pair of those in Gortex?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Have used a pair of Pronghorns for 1 1/2 years now for everything from in- season hunting to out-of-season preserve hunts and training fields. No problem, except last week stepped into a snow covered cranberry bog nearly up to the waist -- boots got wet. Only complaint -- wish they were a little lighter.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I have a pair of Pronghorns too. I have worn them for 2 tough seasons (off-season too) and they leak also.

Might try a pair of Irish Setters next year....boots that is.

I wish Asolo or Vasque would make an upland boot...

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I was just thinking about buying a boot to wear every day what would you go with fritz

I had a pair of them Danners to I like them for just wearing around the house and work but they sucked for hunting and training

I bought a pair of rubber lacross aphla the have a reg boot sole and are the nicest pair of boots I have ever owned dry or wet I wear them

scott

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have a pair of Danners made for cabelas. I think they are the grouse boot. They have leaked since midway through the season. Not only that they look awful. I have two pair of boots so these only saw part-time use and did not hold up.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kek25 said:
Have used a pair of Pronghorns for 1 1/2 years now for everything from in- season hunting to out-of-season preserve hunts and training fields. No problem, except last week stepped into a snow covered cranberry bog nearly up to the waist -- boots got wet. Only complaint -- wish they were a little lighter.
How many days have you spent in them?

I guess I need a pair to work 60-80 days a season includes hunting and non hunting...When it is dry I wear the non gortex modle, much nicer.

Timber, I have a great pair of Irish Setter Chuka's that I wear in the winter out on the town so to speak. To short for me to wear in the woods but you can find them cheap at bargainoutfitters.com and Seirra Trading Post.com

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Steelheadfred said:
Timber, I have a great pair of Irish Setter Chuka's that I wear in the winter out on the town so to speak. To short for me to wear in the woods but you can find them cheap at bargainoutfitters.com and Seirra Trading Post.com

I like a high boot

scott

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Steelheadfred said:
How many days have you spent in them?

I guess I need a pair to work 60-80 days a season includes hunting and non hunting...When it is dry I wear the non gortex modle, much nicer.

Probably put in 75-90 days hunting/training/off season preserve hunts last year. Of course, not all days were wet. But I don't think that's the issue if yours have leaked since day one.

Like any product, you get some good and some bad. Maybe the stores from mid-state north got the bad Pronghorns. :lol:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hevi said:
I wish Asolo or Vasque would make an upland boot...
No kidding. I owned a pair of Vasque Sundowners for 6 years and put alot of backpacking miles on them and never had an issue. I retired those and got into a pair of Asolo's and they are great also...be nice if one of them made a hunting boot.

I'm hunting in the Cabelas Master Guide Hunting Boot right now. It's a decent boot for the cost. I think I got them for around $100 and they've treated me well so far and I've put alot of miles on them.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
SHF, I know what you mean about Rocky's. I had a pair of those 200 gram Gortex boots that lasted forever. Then replaced them with a newer model and the soles blew out after two seasons. I have tried Wolverine dura shocks great comfort gortex doesn't leak after 3+ years but the soles have no traction and they are too have for all day hunts.

Right now I'm using a pair of LL Bean boots, nice light and pretty good in wet weather. I am also am breaking in a pair of Filson Upland boots. So far they have been great. But to be honest I haven't had them long enough to test them in really wet conditions, as they don't have a gortex liner. Feet do breath well in them and stay very warm in this cold weather even though they are not insulated. I'll give you a report on them after I get thru the winter/spring hunting training season!!

Bear Creek

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
colehatch said:
No kidding. I owned a pair of Vasque Sundowners for 6 years
I had the Asolo backpacking boot (all leather). They may have cost $200, but I wore them for everyday boots for amost 4 years, and they still get action today. I bought them in 2000. I have had a couple pair of Vasque boots and like them also...right now I have a pair of Vasque that are about 1.5 yrs. old and a new pair of Asolos. Good footwear is a must in my book.

This thread has prompted me to do some boot research.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Got to thinking about it. There are 2 versions of the Pronghorn. One has the Gortex "patches" on the sides and the other is full camo leather. I have the full camo leather style, which leads to them being on the heavy side. But they do stay dry -- probably less stitching.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
SHF,
I know exactly what you are talking about 1st year of real hard hunting and within 12 or so times the Danners leaked like the Titanic. Here's what I did. It's a bit pricey but I haven't bought any boots since.

Bought a pair of Russel Woodcock TLC's great dry weather to damp weather
Bought another pair of Russell South 40 Birdshooters with 200 grams great cold and medium wet. Even though they aren't gortex you can walk through water and not get wet you just can't slog all day through wet stuff and stay dry.

Best purchase was a pair of Les Chameux leather lined boots. These boots you could wear all season and not get tired of them. THey are light, easy to put on, waterproof and oh so comfortable. For anyone who needs rubber boots but hates wearing them these are the ticket. Again they are pricey but I haven't spent a dime on boots in almost 4 years because these all have been so good.

·
Registered
645 Posts
So far I have had the best luck with Matterhorn Sports. Got 8 years out of a pair and still going strong. They still don't leak, all stitching remains intact. Best of all made in the U.S.A. They make the armed forces boots. The only place I have found that carries them locally is Michi-Gun. I will be replacing them with another pair when the time comes. I bought mine at Gander Mountain when they used to carry them. I guess you won't sell many boots if they don't fall apart after a year or two, so they quit carrying them

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
kek25 said:
Probably put in 75-90 days hunting/training/off season preserve hunts last year. Of course, not all days were wet. But I don't think that's the issue if yours have leaked since day one.

Like any product, you get some good and some bad. Maybe the stores from mid-state north got the bad Pronghorns. :lol:
I agree with this statement. You get good and bad with everything you buy boots, cars, guns, ect. I have worn danners for four years and have had two pair go for two years each one which was a pronghorn and one which was a mountaineer. I am now into another pair of pronghorns just like SHF and have no complaints or problems with them as of yet. I know that Danner made everything right with me when the stitching went out on the Mountaineers and that is why I have a new pair of pronghorns.

I would say send them back and see how the next ones are. You wont lose any money off the bat and you can replace them if or when they leak and just keep them as a dry day boot. You could have just gotten a lemon!

Jr

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I cant' complain about my Bean Boots so far, they have been great. I have the gortex ones as well and they have held up very well.

Do you clean and put more waterproofing for gortex on the boots? That may help with the leaks, but it looks like some other quality issues are also there.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I have two pair of boots I currently use, and I bought both in the last century!!!!

My main hunting boot is a pair of Rocky Super Brutes I bought in 1998. They are Gore-Tex and are mostly leather (some cordura). I treat them religiously with leather treatment. The sole on the ball of the foot is mostly "bald" but the boots are STILL watertight!!!!. They are 1000 grams of thinsulate, so they get hot (I originally bought them for sitting in a tree stand), but my feet sweat in sandals in January, so I trade that off for a very comfortable, long wearing supportive boot. The design has changed a little bit from the original, (mine are all brown, no camo) but I'm pretty sure they're mostly the same boot.

My second pair of boots I have (and wear even more in a year) is a pair of Vasque Clarion GTX which I bough in 1999. They are also still "leak proof". They don't offer as much support as my Rocky's, but are lighter and cooler.

I have put a LOT of miles on these boots and it amazes me how long they have lasted, each year I think they're done, I get another year out of them. I wear them Hunting, Fishing, working, etc...,

Super Brutes: http://www.rockyboots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&levelId=4&categoryId1=10101&categoryId2=10105&categoryId3=10116&categoryId4=20674&categoryId=&productId=62866&parent_category_rn=20674

Vasque's: http://www.vasque.com/products/m-clariongtx.cfm

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hevi said:
I had the Asolo backpacking boot (all leather). They may have cost $200, but I wore them for everyday boots for amost 4 years, and they still get action today. I bought them in 2000. I have had a couple pair of Vasque boots and like them also...right now I have a pair of Vasque that are about 1.5 yrs. old and a new pair of Asolos. Good footwear is a must in my book.

This thread has prompted me to do some boot research.
I had several pairs of Vasques. They always wore out at the toe. I bought some with a rubber toe and it started peeling off. Since then I've worn Asolos and they do not wear out. I have four pairs that are all wearable and water-tight. Three have lost their tread, one I got for Christmas.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
BarryPatch said:
Since then I've worn Asolos and they do not wear out.
Best boots I've owned, I'll wear them as long as they keep stitching them together.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts