Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going through a big azz Plano tackle box my dad gave me years ago. It was one of his body bait tackle boxes. I re-discovered stuff I forgot I had. There are over 20 wooden pencil plugs, a Hot'N Tot price marked $2.89, A Bomber with a K-Mart price of $2.00 Ping-A-T, Storm, Heddon, Flat Fish, Quick Fish, Rapala, Fred Arbogast Jittergug, Flicker Shad. I have a Shakespeare swimming mouse, a surface lure similar to a jittergug, that I caught my first Bass on. Not sure what year it was, but I do remember the size limit for LMBass was 10". It was 9 3/4 inches long. My dad told me it was my decision what to do so I threw it back. Good times.

· Super Moderator
8,055 Posts
I saw one of those argoblast mice at a resale shop in the UP. Lady wanted $50 bucks for it even though it was in poor condition. I told her she was crazy and left it on the counter.

I would have fished it after replacing the hooks but there was no way I was going to cough up $50 for it.

Anyway, I hope you get some of those lures wet this year and remember your father fondly.

· Registered
1,219 Posts
There's something magical about old tackle boxes and their contents and all the better if there's a personal connection to the fisherman it belonged to.

· Registered
342 Posts
Very cool you have that stuff from your dad. Reading your post brought back some great memories of buying old tackle boxes with my dad when I was a kid. He is not much for fishing but he loved going to estate sales and garage sales together to try to find cool old fishing stuff.

· Premium Member
2,313 Posts
I was going through a big azz Plano tackle box my dad gave me years ago. It was one of his body bait tackle boxes. I re-discovered stuff I forgot I had. There are over 20 wooden pencil plugs, a Hot'N Tot price marked $2.89, A Bomber with a K-Mart price of $2.00 Ping-A-T, Storm, Heddon, Flat Fish, Quick Fish, Rapala, Fred Arbogast Jittergug, Flicker Shad. I have a Shakespeare swimming mouse, a surface lure similar to a jittergug, that I caught my first Bass on. Not sure what year it was, but I do remember the size limit for LMBass was 10". It was 9 3/4 inches long. My dad told me it was my decision what to do so I threw it back. Good times.

I remember when the size limit for Bass was 10". Damn we're old.

· Registered
9,871 Posts
There's something magical about old tackle boxes and their contents and all the better if there's a personal connection to the fisherman it belonged to.
Borrowed a couple lures from my Dad this Summer to throw at the mouth of the Ausable. He is 88. He said the box was mine when he passes. He ain't giving it up early, 😆. He hasn't fished but a handful of times in the last ten years. He has no idea what is in it.

· Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw one of those argoblast mice at a resale shop in the UP. Lady wanted $50 bucks for it even though it was in poor condition. I told her she was crazy and left it on the counter.

I would have fished it after replacing the hooks but there was no way I was going to cough up $50 for it.

Anyway, I hope you get some of those lures wet this year and remember your father fondly.
I haven't cast with that mouse since the 1960's. I think I'll give it a toss this year and say "This one's for you, dad."

· Registered
2,190 Posts
I lost my Dad when I was 10 years old. We weren't well off, so I used all of his guns and fishing equipment. Needless to say, most of it got lost or worn out.

I'd do about anything to have it all back as he left it.

· Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I lost my Dad when I was 10 years old. We weren't well off, so I used all of his guns and fishing equipment. Needless to say, most of it got lost or worn out.

I'd do about anything to have it all back as he left it.
Sorry about you losing your dad at such a young age. Must have been rough.
My dad gave me all his tools when he went into assisted living. A lot of them were duplicates of tools I already had but much older. One in particular is an Estwig hatchet of his that is older than I am (69). I have my own hatchet that I always use because dad's tools are kind of "sacred". Last year as I was packing a toolkit for a trip up north I packed dad's hatchet instead of mine. I figured if one of the grand kids put a nick in it or it got some rust on it at least it was being used. I hate to think that one day this treasure might be sold at a garage sale for $1.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts