Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad shot this deer last night while I was at a meeting for school. He called me all excited to get up there and he would be waiting. My brother happened to be with him, but with dad having emphyzema and not in great shape I do all the work. So I arrive and he explains that its a buck that I would even shoot. Man its gotta be big!! I walked up to see the mass of a GREAT 8 point. He has 6 inch bases and stays 5 inches all the way out to the last circumference measurement which is still in the high 3 inch mark. It has 22 inch main beams, and an inside spread of 18 inches. MAN WHAT A PIG!! Congrats DAD on a fantastic whitetail deer.

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Very impressive, tell your dad i said congrats!

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
Fantastic!

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This deer was not chasing any does, but has been rutting. There were 10 does around this boy and he was just a checking them out. My dad passed up 4 other bucks before shooting this bruiser. Letting the small bucks go and letting the does breed, allowed my dad an opportunity at a great buck and it worked.
Thanks for the kind words guys, it means a lot to have been part of that with my DAD!!

·
Registered
26,512 Posts
Very nice buck, congrats!

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This buck was NEVER seen on the farm at all by a hunter. But I do have a picture of him on my game camera.

We didnt know it, but this 8 point head a dislocated shoulder and wasnt using his front right shoulder. WELL, my picture has a great 8 point in velvet, with his right front leg off the ground holding it up.

Pretty cool to have a picture of a great buck on film and then harvest that buck!!

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Yeppers, now THATS A HOG!!
Congrats to both you and yr Dad. I'd also be interested in how old that deer was??

Natty B.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They took the jaw and antlers to a check station this morning. I will have to guess that he is 3 1/2 years old.

I am having mine aged later this year.

Shane I would be more than happy to come give you some pointers when you get your land set up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts