Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great opening day for my dad and myself. I saw 12 opening morning. Six small bucks and got to watch two small 4 pointers sparring. Late in the evening I saw a nice buck about 100yds out in the edge of the corn so I started hitting the grunt hard. After a few minutes I looked to my left and there was nice 8 that had come in through the corn only 12yds out. He caught me off guard as I focused on the other buck and made his way by quickly through the corn. One row closer and I would have had a shot. My dad sat until 11:30 in the morning and only saw one doe. In the afternoon he only seen one but he took advantage of it and shot at a nice buck. After meeting up w/ him and grabbing some lights we found a huge blood trail and knew he had to be down. After about 20yds it got very thick and my dad had to sit and rest for a few. I continued on about another 20yds over and under the thickest stuff around and found his 7 point (broken brow tine) piled up. It was not a long drag but that was my hardest ever. He has a bad back and had a mild heart attack in June and tried to help all he could. This was not his biggest buck but very special to me. He shot it out of a blind I built for him and I am thankfull I can give back some of what he has given me. Great opening day!!! Today was a lot slower. Only saw one each. I thank he is more pumped up than me now. I can't wait to drag that monster out of the woods for him. I will try and post a pic when we get our pc problems worked out. Good luck all!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
congratulations on the deer to both of you. So you had bucks responding to a grunt already, thats a good sign, I think the rut is going to be earlier this year if it stays cool. Cant wait to see the pic.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't normally use a grunt this early but I thought I had nothing to lose w/ the time and wind on the opener. I also talked to a guy in our area that was hitting the grunt a lot and he had four different bucks come in tonight (three together). I also did not mention the fact that some #$$%$#% tried to wreck our opener by stealing a couple of stands, but there are more important things to talk about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts