1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
That's encouraging.

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
So far so good. Let's hope that trend continues. I'm glad they shared that, maybe everyone can loosen their undies a bit. Not too much, though.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
It's nice so far, but as soon as a second deer is found people will be screaming "I told you so!"

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
It's nice so far, but as soon as a second deer is found people will be screaming "I told you so!"
Sad but true. Seems like both sides whether it be pro APR or Anti or what have you they just want to argue and no one can find common ground on how to solve a very real situation. Everything has to be a damn debate vs working together.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Good news so far.. very small sample size. hopefully we can see the same results after a few thousand.

·
Registered
36,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One found positive is a small sample size... Now everyone wants to jump to conclusions and eliminate the deer herd...

They are only talking about eradication in a small area. It's better to err on the side of caution early than keep increasing the radius of the circles.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
They are only talking about eradication in a small area. It's better to err on the side of caution early than keep increasing the radius of the circles.

I would disagree... Why make a rash decision over one deer? They should go business as usual for this next hunting season. Have mandatory testing on every deer harvested in that county and all surrounding counties and then make a decision what comes next based on the results. To eradicate an area over one deer just doesn't seem right. Just my opinion...

·
Michimaniac
4,542 Posts

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Curtis Stone requested that this update become part of the DNR site when he was at Monroe's meeting last week. The DNR thought that it was a good idea and happily complied. I believe that they said that it was only possible to do this once a week but I might be wrong on that point.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
I would disagree... Why make a rash decision over one deer? They should go business as usual for this next hunting season. Have mandatory testing on every deer harvested in that county and all surrounding counties and then make a decision what comes next based on the results. To eradicate an area over one deer just doesn't seem right. Just my opinion...
Totally agree.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I'm very surprised they have not found another CWD positive deer yet. Is it even possible she was the only one infected??? The sharpshooters must have taken out other members of her family group already unless she has been wandering alone for miles because of the disease.

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
Well the best answer to this is what would happen if you are wrong on this? You can err on the side of caution and possibly wipe out a small region Needlessly......or sit back and have a full blown disaster situation in our states deer heard. We do have evidence of what can happen when you see what states like Wisconsin have gone through. It isn't completely irrational to do whatever they can to contain this.

The area that is being targeted can eventually come back in population....what they are doing is eventually correctable. Cwd everywhere isnt with the knowledge we have today. the situation sucks but it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Shooting and testing as many deer as possible in that area is a must.
What we dont need as hunters is to transport potentially infected deer out of the area via processing. Taxidermist. Wasteful dumping. Not to mention importing animals from other states. This was a real wake-up call for all of us in michigan.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
shooting and testing as many deer as possible in that area is a must.
What we dont need as hunters is to transport potentially infected deer out of the area via processing. Taxidermist. Wasteful dumping. Not to mention importing animals from other states. This was a real wake-up call for all of us in michigan.
yep.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts