Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
876 Posts
Thanks for posting.
Interesting findings.
Now if they only knew if the CWD negative survivors are possibly immue/resistant to CWD.
Sounds like CWD might be "nature's" own population control mechanism particularly for bucks.
Would be interesting to know if the fatals were in concentrated hot spots or spread through out the study range/area.
Conclusion: maybe the sky isn't falling.
Hear Fishie Fishie

· Administrator
18,841 Posts
CWD is 100% fatal. We know that already. Most positive animals will die from CWD before they reach 4 years of age.
<----<<<

· Registered
14,494 Posts
CWD is 100% fatal. We know that already. Most positive animals will die from CWD before they reach 4 years of age.
<----<<<
Most deer in michigan will be in someone's freezer long before their 4th birthday. Let's not kill our hunting heritage chasing a disease that up to this point hasn't caused any problems.

Reactions: otcarcher

· Administrator
18,841 Posts
Most deer in michigan will be in someone's freezer long before their 4th birthday. Let's not kill our hunting heritage chasing a disease that up to this point hasn't caused any problems.
To say that it hasn't caused any problems is a bit of a stretch. Hunters are already saying that they won't continue to hunt in CWD zones. Members of this very forum have taken CWD positive deer that have gone to waste. Undoubtedly, deer have suffered and died in the wild.
I think that a plan with goals to limits spread, limits waste, and limits suffering is the prudent approach to take.
These goals can likely be accomplished without killing our hunting heritage.
<----<<<

· Registered
14,494 Posts
To say that it hasn't caused any problems is a bit of a stretch. Hunters are already saying that they won't continue to hunt in CWD zones. Members of this very forum have taken CWD positive deer that have gone to waste. Undoubtedly, deer have suffered and died in the wild.
I think that a plan with goals to limits spread, limits waste, and limits suffering is the prudent approach to take.
These goals can likely be accomplished without killing our hunting heritage.
<----<<<
Real or imagined problems? Hunters dropping out are because they're imagining problems not because they have encountered them. For one, shooting a CWD positive deer isn't really a problem. Throw it out and go shoot another. 57 wasted deer, a few from members on this forum? Big deal... There are many more wasted in my county from poaching every year. Out of 29, some odd thousand tested they have found 57 and you're telling me a herd that where 70%+ are harvested at 2 yrs old and they are dYING from CWD in the wild. None of which as been documented so you're speculating and the fact of the matter is we have such a young herd state wide and the prevalence rate is so small that the possibility of a CWD deer dying from the disease it's self isn't realistic at all.

· Administrator
18,841 Posts
Real or imagined problems? Hunters dropping out are because they're imagining problems not because they have encountered them. For one, shooting a CWD positive deer isn't really a problem. Throw it out and go shoot another. 57 wasted deer, a few from members on this forum? Big deal... There are many more wasted in my county from poaching every year. Out of 29, some odd thousand tested they have found 57 and you're telling me a herd that where 70%+ are harvested at 2 yrs old and they are dYING from CWD in the wild. None of which as been documented so you're speculating and the fact of the matter is we have such a young herd state wide and the prevalence rate is so small that the possibility of a CWD deer dying from the disease it's self isn't realistic at all.
This is the beginning; the proverbial tip of the ice berg if you will. As prevalence goes up and disease spreads, the more deer will be wasted, and succumb to the disease. As far as age of deer, I would bet that a good percent of the doe population survive to 4 years of age in Michigan, and there still are quite a few 3.5 - 4 year old bucks as well.
<----<<<

· Registered
14,494 Posts
Doe #47 episode

The UP is screwed then eh? You’ll have to wipe out the entire herd and start over to get the average age down.

Of course they’re going to get old. With limited doe tags and hunters who won’t shoot a doe. Didn’t the SLP have some like 500,000 doe tags? We have a young herd down here.

Enjoy the video by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

· Registered
41,829 Posts
The UP is screwed then eh? You’ll have to wipe out the entire herd and start over to get the average age down.

Of course they’re going to get old. With limited doe tags and hunters who won’t shoot a doe. Didn’t the SLP have some like 500,000 doe tags? We have a young herd down here.

Enjoy the video by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
No disease no problem but if it shows up it is. The LP is already screwed.

Font Material property Parallel Pattern Number

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.