Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a bit of thinking last night and I thought if this turns out to be an isolated case, or even isolated to a very small area, would it actually be a good thing in the sense that people are now far more educated and aware of CWD than they were prior to all this talk about prions? I'm not saying it is isolated, but I'm sure hoping it is. I'm also hopeful that folks(sykes) will adjust their practices to prevent the spread of these types of diseases.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I'm definitely more educated, never occurred to me that a deer in some other state (like Colorado) could infect deer in Michigan by selling deer urine or another hunter bringing his kill to Michigan. Or that CWD is in the soil for practically forever.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm definitely more educated, never occurred to me that a deer in some other state (like Colorado) could infect deer in Michigan by selling deer urine or another hunter bringing his kill to Michigan. Or that CWD is in the soil for practically forever.
I'm with ya there! I'm hoping that processors and taxidermists really get the message as well. Proper disposal of carcasses is vital in slowing the spread, not only for out of state deer, but for potentially positive Michigan deer as well.

·
Banned
59 Posts
good post walt !!!! I know way more about cwd now. I want to stay positive also, I really feel for the land owners at ground zero. last year one third of wisconsins 20 largest bucks taken where from the original cwd discovery area.

·
Registered
12,741 Posts
I totally agree, thanks for bringing this up, Walt. For far too long we have been passing the wrong deer, any deer that is breathing. Call it QDM brainwashing, trigger management, bitching by your brothers, what ever you want. What we all need to take from this CWD issues is that the SLP, my home area in particular, is that we have far too many deer but I will do my best to remedy that this season. There will be no group of deer that are off limits. Both buck tags will be filled this year along with many, many doe tags. Age or size matters naught. Most years I eat both buck tags waiting for one I'd want to hang on my wall. The sad reality is that way of thinking is not what is beneficial to the herd.

#BrownIsDown

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
good post walt !!!! I know way more about cwd now. I want to stay positive also, I really feel for the land owners at ground zero. last year one third of wisconsins 20 largest bucks taken where from the original cwd discovery area.
I am sure you will post all of the links to that statement......Now does CWD cover 1/3 of the state?

Also the zones where CWD is already has and is capable of producing monster bucks.

So I am calling non-sense......

NOW...there is nothing good about a killer disease entering the state of MI.

·
Premium Member
30,900 Posts
I was doing a bit of thinking last night and I thought if this turns out to be an isolated case, or even isolated to a very small area, would it actually be a good thing in the sense that people are now far more educated and aware of CWD than they were prior to all this talk about prions? I'm not saying it is isolated, but I'm sure hoping it is. I'm also hopeful that folks(sykes) will adjust their practices to prevent the spread of these types of diseases.
There are "hunters" that hunt the CZ that will live their entire lives not ever knowing, or caring, that CWD was found there. :(

·
Premium Member
30,900 Posts
I totally agree, thanks for bringing this up, Walt. For far too long we have been passing the wrong deer, any deer that is breathing. Call it QDM brainwashing, trigger management, bitching by your brothers, what ever you want. What we all need to take from this CWD issues is that the SLP, my home area in particular, is that we have far too many deer but I will do my best to remedy that this season. There will be no group of deer that are off limits. Both buck tags will be filled this year along with many, many doe tags. Age or size matters naught. Most years I eat both buck tags waiting for one I'd want to hang on my wall. The sad reality is that way of thinking is not what is beneficial to the herd.

#BrownIsDown
Correct, THAT way of thinking is NOT beneficial to the herd.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

#BrownIsDown
Sounds about right HUBBHUNTER. Hard to argue with that logic. QDMA guys will probably gasp, but hopefully more sportsman reevaluate their goals and see the big picture.

·
Premium Member
30,900 Posts
Sounds about right HUBBHUNTER. Hard to argue with that logic. QDMA guys will probably gasp, but hopefully more sportsman reevaluate their goals and see the big picture.
Was QDM being practiced in the CZ? :confused:
You're very transparent Walter and this thread is just another anti QDM/QDMA bashfest. :(

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
How far from the S.M.A.R.T. World Headquarters was this deer found?:rolleyes: It was a planted deer to allow the killing of bucks to be rampant.:lol:

Ganzer

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I was in 3 large box stores the last few days and i was shocked when i did not see any posters or print offs to inform customes about cwd.. i think any store that sells hunting products should post the drn information letters for customers..

It will help all the way around.

·
Premium Member
30,900 Posts

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Well, so much for putting personal agendas aside, eh Johnny?
You're basically accusing Walt of having a QDMA bashing agenda because he started a CWD thread and thought ALL sportsmen need to reevaluate how they approach things. Before you complain and accuse him of something maybe you should ask him first where he was going with it?

·
Premium Member
12,899 Posts
Well, so much for putting personal agendas aside, eh Johnny?
Is this an APR proponent realizing it's never going to happen in the SLP?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts