Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duck 60 day/6 birds

Changes from last year include 3 woodies/day, canvasbacks closed, scaup 1 bird/day for 40 days 2 birds/day for 20 days.

These are the dates CWAC is proposing and are still not set until the NRC meets on Aug. 14.

Zone 1 (UP) Oct. 4-Dec. 2
Scaup- 2/day from Oct. 11-Oct. 30 other 40 days are 1/day

Zone 2 (NLP) Oct. 4-Nov. 30, Dec. 6-7
Scaup- 2/day from Oct. 18-Nov. 6 other 40 days are 1/day

Zone 3 (SLP) Oct. 11-Dec. 7, Jan. 3-4
Scaup- 2/day from Oct. 25-Nov.13 other 40 days are 1/day

Goose-Zones now follow same lines as duck (No more MVP/SJBP).

Early Season- Same dates as last year with 5 bird/day limit.

Regular Season 45 days 2 birds/day

Zone 1 (UP) Sept. 22-Nov. 5 2 birds /day
Zone 2 (NLP) Oct.4-Nov. 10, Nov. 27-Dec.3 2 birds/day
Zone 3 (SLP) Oct. 11-Nov. 13, Nov. 27-Dec. 7 2 birds/day

Late Season

Zone 3 Jan. 3-Feb. 1 5 birds/day

I'll have to dig for my "managed goose area" info as I don't see the paper I wrote my notes on.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Thanks for posting Bmac.

i have to confess that the scaup seasons didn't play out like I thought they would. I'd have laid money it'd be 40 @1 and then follow with 20 and 2/day, but no matter. (probably afraid of freeze up).
like i said in another thread; get lemons, make lemonade.

(Just surprised the SLP guys wouldn't want 2/day during the january hunt.)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Thanks for posting Bmac.

i have to confess that the scaup seasons didn't play out like I thought they would. I'd have laid money it'd be 40 @1 and then follow with 20 and 2/day, but no matter. (probably afraid of freeze up).
like i said in another thread; get lemons, make lemonade.

(Just surprised the SLP guys wouldn't want 2/day during the january hunt.)
Thats what I would have thought too. The goose sounds pretty good finally aligning it with the ducks a little. Hopefully it will be some good lemonade!!!!!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay I still don't see where I wrote my notes on Goose Management Units so I'm going from memory here.:help:

Allegan and Muskegon GMU seasons are not proposed by CWAC. The Area Biologist did present some options they developed using input from public meetings for their seasons. They will make their own recommendations to the NRC for their seasons.

The Tuscola and Saginaw GMU dates will run the same as the Zone 3 Regular Goose season dates with 2/day and no quota. There will also be a Late season hunt for these two GMU's the same as Zone 3 but the daily bag limit will be 2/day, not 5 as in the surrounding area.

Once again, this is from memory so I apologize if I have some wrong info here. Also, keep in mind the NRC still has to approve all of this so nothing is final until Aug. 14.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2/day scaup dates were chosen using harvest data from previous years and recommendations from guys who hunt/represent the traditional diver areas. We tried to time it with what looked to be the peak of the migration. I usually only diver hunt Saginaw Bay a few days each season in late Oct./early Nov. so my experience here was minimal.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I would think there are things in there everyone will like and things everyone will question. I know the CWAC works hard to find seasons and limits that meet the feds requirements and makes the majority of hunters happy.

The later open opener in the UP means we will miss days at the end of season due to freeze up but hopefully less hen malards will be shot since they will have colored up another week and it should be more enjoyable with the additional color on the birds. On the flip side less teal and woodies will be around as long.

Three woodies - I guess the numbers are there for that so lets have fun with it I know the kids and puppy will love it. Might even change the way I hunt a few days since the beaver ponds could easily produce 4 or 5 birds for a day now with the mallards being the bonus birds instead of the other way around.

Bluebills - I am sure there was lots of talk before they made any decission as to when to put the 20 days in the season. I wont comment on the other zones but they really missed the peak in the U.P. Not sure why they picked the dates they did but I guess its what it is. It was probably hard to pick dates without input from the public since this screwed up season was pushed on us a few days ago.
Next year hopefully they get some good feedback and align the dates better with when Bluebills will be around.

Bmac. Thank you so much. I know its a thankless job and apreaciate you doing it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Bmac was kind enough to go in my place. I was having trouble getting the day off from my regular job. I would have needed to take sick leave from work to be there. But having a good friend like Bmac (a biologist and dedicated duck hunter who is more than qualified to represent us) take my place for the day made my life a lot easier. One way or another I would have been there, so thanks to Bmac for helping me out and doing a great job.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad I could help out! I enjoyed going and learned quite a bit about the process. Hopefully the weather and birds cooperate and the season dates work out for everyone.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
looks like the calendar helped push the slp back a few days.. nice for a change.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
SLP: Scaup- 2/day from Oct. 25-Nov.13 other 40 days are 1/day
Cool, a lot better than I expected, but I'd rather Nov 1 to Nov 20. I had expected it would be something like that last 20 days of the season, which would not be ideal for where we hunt.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
More like make Lemon Pledge out of lemons...
You guys are gonna weep when the 30,000+ rafts settle into Anchor Bay, and we only get to have one a day.
But, take comfort in the fact that, a few miles away your Canadian brothers get to shoot their 6 a day.
Really makes a lot of sense, doesnt it?:mad:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Yesterday 10:36 PM
thedude looks like the calendar helped push the slp back a few days.. nice for a change
I agree. Nice it worked out that way. Although the whole Can business is a little upsetting, nice to see we'll still be able to shoot some Bills. No matter the dates or the limits, we'll be out going after 'em.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
I can live through this. I really don't "need" a 2 BB at the begining or end of season since there are other types of hunting an other areas to hunt for different species in the layout. Scoter, Squaw, Redheads, G.E.'s and bingo mallards can all be taken advantage of.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
well i truly feel sorry for the geese this year. they are gonna have no where to hide. :evil:
Not true!!

I have 11 fields "locked up" and will only be able to hunt on the opener, because I can't be expected to take vacation days to hunt- soooo I guess they will have some refuge ;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts