Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Next meeting Jan. 2016 there will be discussion and voting on zone boundaries (5yrs) and season openers(3yrs).
CWAC to change to meet once each year officially. Group could meet for issue discussion more often if they choose.
Questions on Saginaw Bay and zone placement. Earlier opener in Z2 or leave in Z3 ? Ice lost days some Managed areas.
Managed area satisfaction survey was shared.
58 days and 2 day split seems popular.
Some members questioned 2 hen mallards as Great Lakes mallards are 33% below long term goal.
2 Canvasbacks this year.
Lot's of goose shooting days.
7 day tea season.
Discussion on late goose and if season is better in early Jan or mid Feb. ?
Very similar layout to last years seasons.
Look for minutes on DNR site. Last meeting minutes very comprehensive.

Quick re-cap, Lot's more I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Don't know if it will happen but I am hoping for a move of Saginaw Bay into Zone 2. I attended the CWAC meeting at Frank's in Linwood a couple of years ago and spoke with my rep about the desire to see the aforementioned change. I was surprised to learn that there was a number of hunters he represented that were for the exact opposite. All of the hunters in my circle (east side of Bay, Sebewaing area) were for the move to Zone 2 and was unaware of the opposition and the reasoning behind it.

I think you could get creative with the boundary (M-25) that would allow the majority of the field hunting to still be available later as the farm fields would still be in Zone 3.

Whatever happens, I am still thankful for 60 and six and the good fortune to live close to the Bay (2 Cans, whoa :cool:)

·
Registered
645 Posts
where on the DNR site will the meeting minutes be posted?
If I'm looking in the right spot, it doesn't look like the last 2 meetings were ever posted.
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
Opposed to bay in z2 because you can kill ducks to the end of the season with the dates in z3. And not just divers.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm for the Bay in zone 2, been hunting there for close to 50 years and zone 2 would work better for me out of Sebewaing most years.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Opposed to bay in z2 because you can kill ducks to the end of the season with the dates in z3. And not just divers.
I am with the Doob and others on this one. In the majority of years (el Nino and "normal" years) the East side of Saginaw Bay is completely iced in by the third week of November. Sure you might get a day or two in, but consistent ability to get out is very, very rare. I have been hunting out there for nearly 40 years, and that has been my experience.
While I never hunt there, the same can be said of Fish Point as well.. If the goal is hunter recruitment (which we need) and days afield...Move Saginaw Bay in to Zone 2 and add 7 days to "our season" here on the East Side of Saginaw Bay!

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
Dec 5 2014
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1438826655.583921.jpg

Dec 27 split 2014
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1438826878.427301.jpg

Dec 6 2013
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1438826911.982476.jpg

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Nice hunts Adam!!!I can see why your are reluctant to change

Unfortunately, I have not been as lucky.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think we should leave the bay the way it is. The first week of hunting in my experience on the bay is the worst and it seems the later in the season it is the better the hunting is. I agree sebewaing and fish point do ice up somtimes before the season ends but thats because it is shallow water and its protected more than the rest of the bay but if you look around there is usually some open water somwhere on the bay. The last two years the cold weather hit a lot earlier than normal and this year could be the opposite.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
the fact that this thread has been here for over a week and only has 10 posts tells me that......

leave everything alone as MOST people are happy with how everything is finally. :) don't poke the bear.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Yea Kid, I am not going to lose any sleep over it but missing days due to ice up is a bummer. Guess I am just going to have to get more adventurous and follow Adam out :);):D

I think the three year set starting dates takes a bit of the edge off and stops the annual fighting/bitching about it. Plus, I know it will come around again and start earlier as I prefer and I can give a hat tip to the guys who prefer it later when it is their turn.

·
Registered
421 Posts
the fact that this thread has been here for over a week and only has 10 posts tells me that......

leave everything alone as MOST people are happy with how everything is finally. :) don't poke the bear.
I was thinking the same thing. This post would have been 10 pages by now in years past.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
I know I'm happy. Gears been ready for over a month with the exception of the decoys I bought at Waterfowl Fest. Bulk mono and weights are in route to get them rigged. Duck season is almost here. 24 days from now I'll be swatting Mosquitos waiting on geese and teal! It's in the air these are good days boys!

·
Registered
489 Posts
DNR requiring CWAC Reps to have proposals in to them by Dec 1. If Bay iced up by then, I could see some support for a change. If open through end of season, support is easy for no change. Lot's of feedback to gather. Everyone has their idea of best case based on their individual interest. DNR seems to support leaving alone.

·
Banned
3,127 Posts

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, the changes they made a few years ago with rotating start dates and a late split satisfied the vast majority of hunters....especially those who were wanting later dates. I can't think of a better compromise that could have happened given the current framework/guidelines that they had.

Although John and I didn't see eye to eye at first, he and others on CWAC did a fantastic job.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Yea Kid, I am not going to lose any sleep over it but missing days due to ice up is a bummer. Guess I am just going to have to get more adventurous and follow Adam out :);):D

I think the three year set starting dates takes a bit of the edge off and stops the annual fighting/bitching about it. Plus, I know it will come around again and start earlier as I prefer and I can give a hat tip to the guys who prefer it later when it is their turn.
i been at this game a long time. ice out is a gamble every year...we live in michigan....but moving that date farther forward does nothing but screw us if the weather is supportive of late migration or a soft fall...and moving it later just does the opposite. its a happy medium right now and it bounces around forward and backwards each year depending on how they fall on the calendar.. Kill the birds when they are here, majority pass thru end of october and early november.

only thing i hope they retain is the set openers. That does more for hunters than changing dates or zones. guys can plan their hunting trips and time off much easier and less people worried bout missing days due to weather.

·
Premium Member
7,082 Posts
Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, the changes they made a few years ago with rotating start dates and a late split satisfied the vast majority of hunters....especially those who were wanting later dates. I can't think of a better compromise that could have happened given the current framework/guidelines that they had.

Although John and I didn't see eye to eye at first, he and others on CWAC did a fantastic job.
I figured EVERYONE had forgotten about a stint I had on the committee!!

They do a good job. Should point out that it is all volunteer. Gotta respect these volunteers for donating their time, money and effort.

Much appreciated.

I have to agree, about as good as it can be for a state as diverse and broad as Michigan. I hunted a TON last year and had a superb season along with my kid. We started with teal and ended with giants. No complaints.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts