Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is my first muzzleloader and not really sure what to do know i got a great deal and i couldnt pass it up Does anyone shoot one what do u think, What powder bullet comb works for you and what kinda new things do i need to buy? I am thinking about putting a bushnell trophy xlt or 3200 scope on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i recently purchased an OPTIMA too. what i found thru my testing while i was sighting the gun in for deer season is it gave me the best grouping with 150 gr charge of pyrodex pellets, 209 winchester primers, and the 245 AEROtip power belt bullets. i was shooting 1.5" groups at 150 yards with that combination.

the scope im using on it is a T/C 3x9x40........picked it up at wally world for less than 40$. nice and clear, positive movements for adjustments, IMO, one of my better scope purchases.

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
Well this is my first muzzleloader and not really sure what to do know i got a great deal and i couldnt pass it up Does anyone shoot one what do u think, What powder bullet comb works for you and what kinda new things do i need to buy? I am thinking about putting a bushnell trophy xlt or 3200 scope on it.
Here's the BEST thing that you can do, right off the bat and not have to worry about powder, cleaning problems, or poor bullet performance.

Take the breech plug out and take it to a machine shop. Have them drill out the flash hole to .035 It should cost around $10.

Buy CCI209M primers and Blackhorn 209 powder. Then, purchase some Barnes 250gr or 290 gr. TMZ bullets (Cabela's has the 24 pk. cheaper than anyone).

With your volume measure, measure out a half dozen loads each of 90grs, 100grs and 110grs of the BH209.

Then load, shoot and be happy...........

Scopes............ I highly recommend, and others that follow with additional posts will also, that you purchase a QUALITY scope. Scopes take a beating on a muzzleloader and cheap scopes go bad fast. A friend shoots the Bushnell 3200 and has already had it replaced once. This second one, has held up. I would suggest Nikon or Leupold.

Now, I know that in the first answer to your OP, the poster mentioned Power belt bullets. With all due respect intended, I might as well be the first one to start out with the debate again. DON'T SHOOT THAT JUNK!!! I don't care what kind of groups anyone will tell you that they get with them. They're just about the poorest performing bullet on the market. Its one thing for a bullet to hit paper, its another thing for it to perform when it hits an animal. Its just absolutely amazes me, that with all the bad press and high number of posts here on M-S over bad performance, that anyone would use those bullets or, continue to use them. There are so many better performing bullets out there and no reason to use a bullet that has a history of poor performance.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I've had mine for 2 years. I shoot 250 gr. Hornady SST sabots in front of 2 Triple 7 pellets and use Winchester 209 primers. That combination was recommended by several other users. It has served me very well. I have a Bushnell Banner 3-9 camo scope on it and though it's not a high dollar scope, I have been completely happy with it. Mine is a tested and dependable outfit that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I've had mine for 2 years. I shoot 250 gr. Hornady SST sabots in front of 2 Triple 7 pellets and use Winchester 209 primers. That combination was recommended by several other users. It has served me very well. I have a Bushnell Banner 3-9 camo scope on it and though it's not a high dollar scope, I have been completely happy with it. Mine is a tested and dependable outfit that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Good luck!!
I do the exact same and have the exact same scope too! I have less than $200 into mine.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Here's the BEST thing that you can do, right off the bat and not have to worry about powder, cleaning problems, or poor bullet performance.

Take the breech plug out and take it to a machine shop. Have them drill out the flash hole to .035 It should cost around $10.

Buy CCI209M primers and Blackhorn 209 powder. Then, purchase some Barnes 250gr or 290 gr. TMZ bullets (Cabela's has the 24 pk. cheaper than anyone).

With your volume measure, measure out a half dozen loads each of 90grs, 100grs and 110grs of the BH209.

Then load, shoot and be happy...........

Scopes............ I highly recommend, and others that follow with additional posts will also, that you purchase a QUALITY scope. Scopes take a beating on a muzzleloader and cheap scopes go bad fast. A friend shoots the Bushnell 3200 and has already had it replaced once. This second one, has held up. I would suggest Nikon or Leupold.

Now, I know that in the first answer to your OP, the poster mentioned Power belt bullets. With all due respect intended, I might as well be the first one to start out with the debate again. DON'T SHOOT THAT JUNK!!! I don't care what kind of groups anyone will tell you that they get with them. They're just about the poorest performing bullet on the market. Its one thing for a bullet to hit paper, its another thing for it to perform when it hits an animal. Its just absolutely amazes me, that with all the bad press and high number of posts here on M-S over bad performance, that anyone would use those bullets or, continue to use them. There are so many better performing bullets out there and no reason to use a bullet that has a history of poor performance.
Listen to Encore he is spot on. Very good advice.

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
Had nothing but great accuracy and success in the field with Powerbelts.

New Version Optima,
Gander, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile...;) Sooner or later, after you've shot a few deer with them, you're going to find out what everyone else has been talking about. I've taken well over 200 deer with a muzzleloader and with just about every bullet made, including some that I made myself. Other than a couple of the NEW bullets on the market that I haven't shot, those powerbelts have performed the worst of any bullet that I've taken a deer with. Its one thing to punch paper all day, its another to have clean, consistent kills and consistently dependable bullets harvesting animals. They might work well for you out west, where you don't have to worry about a buck traveling on to the next property, when you're spending all day tracking. But here in Michigan, these hunters need something that is dependable and quick.

With all due respect, I know you like to shoot a muzz and powerbelts may have worked good enough for you. However, I beg to differ on just how good a bullet it is. When there are so many reports, by so many people that have had trouble with them, I can't recommend them to new shooters, or any shooter for that matter. There have been tests done by others into gelliten, that shows the bullets doing just about everything wrong. I'm just wondering, as much as you claim to shoot, why you're shooting such a poor quality bullet.......

Nice looking rifle, just get rid of that K-mart sling and put something else on it. :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gander, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile...;) Sooner or later, after you've shot a few deer with them, you're going to find out what everyone else has been talking about. I've taken well over 200 deer with a muzzleloader and with just about every bullet made, including some that I made myself. Other than a couple of the NEW bullets on the market that I haven't shot, those powerbelts have performed the worst of any bullet that I've taken a deer with. Its one thing to punch paper all day, its another to have clean, consistent kills and consistently dependable bullets harvesting animals. They might work well for you out west, where you don't have to worry about a buck traveling on to the next property, when you're spending all day tracking. But here in Michigan, these hunters need something that is dependable and quick.

With all due respect, I know you like to shoot a muzz and powerbelts may have worked good enough for you. However, I beg to differ on

what kinda of bullets do i shoot?? most of my shots will be with in 100yards but i would like something that will perform out to 200 or so
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
309 Posts
Love the Quake sling. It normally has the Sling Stix on it but that was when i just got the rifle.

As far as Powerbelts, been using them since 2002, finished shooting well over 4,000 of them this year so dont try teaching me about them ;)

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Nice looking rifle, just get rid of that K-mart sling and put something else on it. :D
Sling? I was thinking that the $39 Bushnell needs to be replaced, that poor rifle is begging for some good glass! ;):evil: Kidding ofcourse. CVA has finally found someone that isn't from the Crayola School of Design to design stocks for their rifles. The new Optima's are nice looking.

Oh, and the onlytwo things the OP really needs to know are; Blackorn 209 and Barnes Bullets. (once you modify the breech plug)

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I see now that it is a Quake sling....great slings! Sticks to your shoulder like no other. And can still be twisted enough to steady a shot if necessary.

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
Love the Quake sling. It normally has the Sling Stix on it but that was when i just got the rifle.

As far as Powerbelts, been using them since 2002, finished shooting well over 4,000 of them this year so dont try teaching me about them ;)
That number is a drop in the bucket for muzzleloader shooting. One of these days you'll catch up. I'm just wondering, how many of those 4,000 powerbelts that you've shot, have you killed deer with? I still haven't got it figured out. You've got to work for that guy or, are related.

I won't try to teach you about them, you'll learn yourself when you stop punching paper :D

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Based on pricing around here, thats about $4700 spent on PB's alone this year. Course, that would be the case if you were paying for them instead of getting them for free. :evil: Sponsorship has it's priviledges! ;)

·
Banned
309 Posts
its easier seeing targets than animals! 7 days of hunting in november and only one stickin buck to be seen! Of course we see the bucks when we have bull elk tags in our pocket :D

New Mexico this year hopefully!

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
Gander, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile...;) Sooner or later, after you've shot a few deer with them, you're going to find out what everyone else has been talking about.
Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick....... It will happen.. Same as I found out with SST/Shockwaves

1 - 16 of 16 Posts