Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the CVA Buckhorn - will be my first muzzleloader and seems to be a decent entry level gun. Price is right (read it won't get the wife too upset...) and comes with a starter kit/scope. Wonder if anyone has one and would share their thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a cva that I think a few years ago when I bought it was called the stag horn. Any how, it was the cheapest one they made. Got it for $100. I added a scope and have had a great time shooting it ever since. Very accurate with sabot bullets(hornady xtp). But I have had a hell of a time getting powerbelts to work so I am giving up on them. Mine has a black plastic stock and a 26" barrel. I have been using for 3 years now and I clean it every time I shoot it. Looks and works as good as new.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I have the ecclipse and my dad has the buckhorn from CVA. Both have been great for us. Both deer I have shot with mine have made it less then 50 yards. I'm using Hornady bullets (.50 cal) as well and have great luck. The price is right. Only negative is the plastic fiber optic sites. They show up great, but aren't very sturdy. I broke my rear site off last year. Called the company and they sold me a set of metal ones for half price (I guess I was the one who smacked it up agasit the tree)

Brad

·
Registered
277 Posts
i have a cva staghorn as well and i have been very pleased with the gun and i am looking at buying 2 buck horns 1 for the wife and 1 for my daughter as they both caught the m/l bug, in my opinion there is nothing wrong with cva products they may be the low end of the m/l rifles available but they get the job done, as far as power belts i agree they tend to not shoot them well at all but since i have switched to hornady sabots all is good

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks fellas. Bought a New Frontier at Cabela's Sunday - completely out of the CVA Buckhorn. Can't wait for the starter kit to show up so I can go blow some smoke!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts