Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone uses these supplements from the Whitetail Institute. I am thinking of buying year supplements for some key areas.

If you have used supplements which ones seem to work the best?

·
Banned
3,359 Posts
I know some guys swear by them, the deer have pretty much ignored every one of my mineral supplementation attempts.

I know the Eaton Co. QDM branch sells a good one, recommended by Dr. Kroll.

$18.00 for 50#.

Give Tony Smith a call for the low down, 517-726-BUCK.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I've been using 30-06 from The Whitetail Institute for about 10 years now. The deer eat it. I've tried mixing my own deer mineral. The deer don't use it very much. Let us know if you take Swamp Ghost's advice and try the Eaton co. QDM mix.

·
Registered
19,326 Posts
I believe these supplements are consider bait just like carrots or shelled corn. IF I'm correct, then these can only be put out from Oct. 1st to Jan. 1st. I thought a couple of you were opposed to baiting ?? If I'm wrong, let me thank you in advance for clearing this up for me.

L & O

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Your'r right L&O, they however can be placed within 100 yards of your home year round legally. Minerals have not been found to make a difinite improvement in the size of deer's antlers or their body by most scientific studies. However even scientists like Dr. Kroll who has stated this fact uses minerals. Why?

Deer do not go to mineral locations in a big way. they hit them hardest starting in early april, back off a bit then go for minerals again in May and use them all summer long, leveling off in early september and hardly touch it again until the following april. So, as far as using minerals as a bait during the hunting season it don't work very good, and then they tend to hit them at night. Having one mineral site near your home will serve many deer and one site per 160 acres is more than enough.

There are many natural mineral licks that have been used by a host of wildlife for thousands of years and yet these natural lick locations are not used much as hunting sites.

I have read of only one study made by the University of Wisconsin where they used cattle type minerals in public land a few years ago that showed antler improvement. In the poorest soil locations there was a 20% improvement in antler size. So, who knows for sure. Maybe this is why Dr. kroll uses it.

Keep the fun in hunting!

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would only use it to help out the antler growth a throughout the year. It isnt to be for there main stay of food like food plots and baiting.

I was just watching and reading some info on the product and wanted to see if it is worth trying for antler growth.

Baiting on the other hand to hunt over is NOT what I am intending on doing.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Everything I've ever read, by folks that have actually studied this matter, has concluded that there is no measurable effect on antler size as a result of mineral supplements.

I actually have a couple of natural mineral licks on my farm, which I supplement each spring just for the heck of it. I do spread the mineral out over a wide area. As others have noted, deer use of these sites is primarly an April thing.

Just goofing around, I spread some mineral on two other sites in old weed fields last spring, only about 100 yards apart from each other. One was ignored. On the other, they dug a hole deep enough to hide a Chevy pickup in. :D

·
Registered
19,326 Posts
Let me say that we have a number of mineral stations also. None of them are within 100 yds of my home. I bait them during the fall so I think this makes it legal. Deer mainly use them in the spring. My point is that it seems pretty hypocritical to me for some of you anti-baiters to talk about your mineral stations as if they were somehow different. While you may not be hunting over them directly, do these stations bring the deer into a small area to lick/fed on the product ? I can see where they might be worse that regular bait that is eaten.
I am mainly into food plots, but I have no problem with legal baiting. In fact I think that the amount should be increased to 5 gallons spread out over a 250 sq. foot area. The 2 gallon rule almost insures violations because most baiters are going to carry in a 5 gallon bucket. If you bait or feed....spread it out.
If anyone is interested, we have killed dozens & dozens of deer over the past 35 years going to, leaving, or feeding in our food plots. If you have a decent amount of land & any common sense anyone can kill deer around food plots.

L & O

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
When Ed talks about
University of Wisconsin where they used cattle type minerals
Is that like the stuff sold in the bags at like a farm and fleet store?
called cattle supplement/minerals?

L&O
Filling a bucket to the top is a no no anyway LOL.
Violaters will violate regaurdless of how much is legal. When you want to buy a used car you start offering a lower price than you really want to except to give, If it was 10 gallons they would use 15 and so on. I have nothing against baiters just in my experiances it tends to make the deer (the ones I really wanted to harvest anyway) very wary about your location and also I really do feel it can make the big bucks go more nocturnal than usual if too much bait is used. That is why I quit baiting years ago but one mans garbage is anouther mans supper. Untill I buy someone elses licence I wont tell anyone how to use it. Just my opinion and not meant to cut down anyones methods.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts