Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a 444 Marlin autoloader. Is there a custom shop that can make one for me? I don't know of anyone currently making this cartridge in an autoloader.

Also, I want to get a bull barrel for a Ruger 44 carbine. Does anyone know of a place where I can a barrel custom made?

Lastly, can anyone recommend a better forum for these questions if things don't pan out here?

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
The closest I think you'll get to the .444 autoloader would be the possibility of a custom built Browning Bar in say a .450 Marlin. I say this because the BAR already can handle 7mm rem mag etc and the bolt face I believe would be the same. Would probably need to open up the ejection port a bit and definetly modify the magazine. A new barrel with the proper chamber and correct gas ports and headspace and your all set. To do the same with the .444 would necesitate a bolt change....and I don't think that would be easy nor cheap if even possible. And although I would think it would be possible to do the .450, get ready to spend 3x what the gun will be worth.
If you have the tools and the skills, lengthening a Rugar .44 carbine action and magazine and you'd be all set....again, very difficult (if even possible)and very expensive. Autoloaders are difficult...every detail must be perfect for them to operate....dealing with way to much engineering for the average guy imo.

In both, you'd just end up with a heavy big bore auto loader that would probably be less effective in the woods than the few factory levers offered. Marlin and Winchester, plus the Browning lever in .450

As for the barrel, contact Shilen or Hart to name just a couple...they will build you whatever you want for a price.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
.444 Marlin is a rimmed case; this may cause trouble in an autoloader with box magazine.

Maybe a custom BAR is possible - is the .450 a rimless case?

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Baiscally, the parent case for the .450 is the 375H&H....but the difference is that the belt on the .450 is just a tad bit longer so that it would be impossible to seat this in a 7mm rem mag etc. The belt is just longer enough that you can't get the bolt closed. Can you imagine trying to stuff the a 45 caliber bullet down a .284 bore? Ouch. Before they lengthened the belt, the whole .450 Marlin cartridge would fit in a long action magnum with the bolt closed, a disaster waiting to happen no doubt! The case head dimensions lead me to believe, that with some work, a custom BAR could be a possibility. Not sure, off the top of my head how close the .444 case comes to matching other factory cases that are currently chamebered in the BAR. I'm also not familiar enough with the BAR to know if the bolt can be changed easy enough to accomodate the .444. My guess is that it may be possible, but not sure how feasible. And bleeding the gases perfectly to make the whole thing work is a whole nother mess! You just don't see to many wildcats being used in autoloaders, nor do you see anything in the way of odd chamberings either. Maybe that has more to do with the lack of autoloader popularity though, I don't know.
Interesting project though.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Alyhough it sounds like a novel idea, you will probly find it to be cost prohibitive. But if you have your heart set on it try contacting:
Colorado School of Trades
1575 Hoyte Str.
Lakewood Colodado
They have grads who would be capeable of this transformation, whether they would do it or not is a different question

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If you simply want a big-bore auto, go with an AR platform in a .50 Beuwolf or .458 Socom.

If you are set on a .444 or .450 Marlin, I don't have any suggestions.

A few years ago I saw a couple of articles on a guy doing some Big-Bore conversions based on the Springfield M1A. I can't quite remember what they were though.

Good Luck!

Mark

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. With all the recent push for custom firearms in recent years I was hoping there was someone out there doing something like this that could make a 444 autoloader, but I guess not.

I'll just stick with tweaking the 44 as Shilen will make me a barrel.

Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts