Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This spring I heard several reports of anglers catching steelhead along River Rd and the Brown Bridge area. I also heard of numbers turning up in the shocking survey. I found out first hand by catching a year of the young in the Brown Bridge Quiet Area.

Recently there have been report of coho salmon around River Rd and the tribs. These fish will surely spawn. Why not? The steelhead clearly did.

The DNR failed to do anything to prevent these fish from breaching Union St dam and now they are spawning.....

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
itll still bite the bag

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Please pardon my ignorance, but salmon getting up that far is a bad thing? And why is it a good/bad thing? I'm truly asking not trying to stir the pot.

·
Registered
879 Posts
It’s bad for the resident trout, that have have had the river, and all of it’s food and cover to themselves. Salmon and steelhead successfully spawning will now be part of the total biomass and take up space in the river. Trout numbers may/will go down. Higher Angler numbers and associated litter, will inevitably follow the silver fish up as well.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
In my experience the fishing on the Boardman has steadily declined since the 2000 reg changes, not that I think the reg changes had anything to do with it.

As nice as this river is there is something wrong with it, there should be 3x as many fish or more and there should be more large fish.

The steelhead are really going to do well here and the DNR knows it.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is exactly what the DNR wants. They opened up the section from Keystone to Cass for year round fishing? Why? This area was largely part of the impoundment from Boardman Dam. This area is extremely fragile right now and doesn’t need thousands of people ripping it up for some skanky cohos.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
The city and DNR keep saying that they made a mistake and let a few get up the river. But one begins to wonder if their mistakes are willful. Sadly, I think we are at the end of a beautiful era. I'll always cherish my memories of fishing for brookies and browns at Shumsky's and a few other lesser known spots. Here come the flossing brigade!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Close the river during spawning season like most small tribs. The only thing I could see possibly screwing with the local brookies, is the dropbacks steelhead in spring gorging on the way back down. But really the brookies have late spring, summer and early fall to themselves. During late fall they will be amongst the cohos spawning and will have a plethora of eggs tumbling to load up on after spawning. Plus brookies are very aggressive, I could see them tearing up coho smolts in the spring. I would say just close the river to fishing in the fall, I totally agree that a couple snaggers would ruin your precious river.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
733 Posts
Seems like once the new barrier at union st. is constructed this incidental passage wont be a problem anymore unless coho and steel are selectively allowed to pass. I gotta imagine in 1-2 years once the smolts produced from this year and next spring migrate out it wont even be a problem anymore.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If they do choose to allow passage of coho and steelies then the stretch from keystone down is a perfect reach to keep open. If folks illegally fish upstream of there then it doesnt matter how they target them, they are violators for fishing closed water anyway. I think the snagging issue is going to be a problem of the past soon anyway

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
The city and DNR keep saying that they made a mistake and let a few get up the river. But one begins to wonder if their mistakes are willful. Sadly, I think we are at the end of a beautiful era. I'll always cherish my memories of fishing for brookies and browns at Shumsky's and a few other lesser known spots. Here come the flossing brigade!
I have never fished there and probably never will, but I can feel your WTF apprehension as to the gross cluster**** it'll become over green/black salmon.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I bet the vast majority of people who would snag salmon would not have a clue about this whole ordeal, but now when they Google search salmon in Michigan, this thread will appear for them to read. Or they're lurking on the site already.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts