Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I've got to say this board is awesome! I've got feedback on everything so far, and it's very much appreciated. I'm about to cure some spawn... has anyone ever used brown sugar, anchove oil or shrimp juice in their cures? I assume you add stuff like I just mentioned before you actually cure the eggs with borax, etc. If you don't want to give your "secret" cure away, you could email me. Any help is appreciated.

Ditchman.:D

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
If you're interested in a good book, try Egg cures: proven methods and techniques by Scott Haugen. I would say though, the thread recomended by N.O. should be more than enough info. But a good book regardless and can be had cheap on Amazon.
Good luck...Sid

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
there have been many threads on this site about spawn cureing,I'e been spwan plunking for close 35 years,and have tried many different spawn cures and home reciepies,I've found the most simple way to preseve your eggs is not to cure at all.for loose spawn I put then a container that holds about one days worth(baby food jars are great)if you have time tie your bags first(if not tie them right before you use them.)fill the jar 2/3 full add mineral enough to cover the eggs completly.put in freezer the mineral oil keeps the eggs from getting freezer burn,pull eggs out of freezer the night before,drain mineral and your good to go no fuss at all.leaves great scent trail.for skien I wrap the eggs in scran wrap and then into a freezer bag.

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
...get yourself one of these babies! Put that bag in, then the eggs, slide it closed then get a little butane torch and burn the remaining netting and it melts and seals!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Right you are, N_O !!! Much easier and less messy than a Spawnee, IMHO. They make two different sizes; I have both, but danged if I can remember the name of them. All I know is, the guy that demonstrates them at the fishing shows made a believer out of me. He showed me how easy it was and let me try it. I bought both sizes on the spot, retired my Spawnee and never looked back!!

Butch

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Originally posted by MSUICEMAN
Did someone say fire??? :D I havent done the melting thing yet, does it smell up the place? that and have you done this with the mineral oil recipe? is mineral oil flammable?

steve
GOOD POINT STEVE. I USE THE SALT AND SUGAR CURE...BE SURE MINERAL OIL AIN'T FLAMMABLE BEFORE YOU TRY THIS AT HOME EVERYONE!:eek:

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
yeah, i was just thinking, man that may not be a good thing.... i don't know if those have a real name, but a company by the name of atlas makes em, i think some other company does also.

steve

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Would it be possible to use a soldering iron ?
Would it give you enough heat the melt the nylon ?
IF so you could still have the heat without the flame .

·
Registered
421 Posts
N.O. How many bags can you do in one hour? It sure seems simple. Dave(DryFly) has a great technique, but you need the rubber miracle thread by atlas.

KW

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Actually I used to tie about 3 a minute with just the spawn bags and Magic thread...I just got my first Spawn this year and have to see how fast the burning method goes...I might tie some up Tuesday and I'll let ya know how quick it goes...

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
didn't know that..... then again i don't deal with mineral oil at all, so i just decided to put in a word of caution just in case.

steve

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Yeah, you should have seen the pharmacists face when I said "you got any BIGGER containers of mineral oil?"!!! lol :D He said "you ain't gonna drink all that are ya?" I told him and we both had a good laugh about it! I went to Miejers and it was $1.98 for about 2 cups of it. What price are you guys paying for your mineral oil? is this a good price or did i just get ripped off?!! thanks,

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
salmon slayer I'm not excactly sure,sounds about right..you really don't use that much just put enough in to cover the eggs displace the air.

·
Banned
3,519 Posts
At Rite Aid, it's $5.99 for 32 oz.(quart).

·
Registered
920 Posts
Nice tying toy Don but it takes much longer for me than simply laying out net squares, spoon in eggs, grab 4 corners, wrap 5-6 quick turns of magic thread and pull to break off.

A quick cut of net tag ends with scissors and you have a very tight bag.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts