Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get into planting food plots this year and am going to make my own cultipacker. Should I make a tow behind? or should I make one that will mount on my 3 point hitch of my tractor? Tow behind will be heavier but not as easy to get around in the woods. I plan on building a 6ft packer. Anyone use a 3 point hitch packer and how does it work for you? Thanks

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have one and I prefer it to the trailer style, much better in tight spaces and if there is something you don't want to run over just pick it up , can back into tight spaces easily

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what i was thinking. Do you have a problem with it not packing, do to it being lighter than a pull behind? I would think that you could run the tractor tires up on a 2x4 set the packer down then use the weight of the tractor to help press it into the ground

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
It's a 10' so I would think it would weigh the same as any other 10' with the same dia wheels . I just let the 3pt float it packs great .Last yr I purchased a 6' tiller and it really looks nice when it's done now . I am actually considering getting a 6' 3pt packer we have allot of trails on our property that I could take one pass with the tiller , seed/fert then pack and be done. It would really increase our FP's

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The packer I am going to build will have the 9 inch wheels and I don't think they will be as heavey as some of the older packer wheels, ( can't seem to find one for sale) so I will be going to build a frame from Omni manufacturing I guess the total weight will be around 450 lbs. You have had no problems with a 3 point packer doing the job? I plan to put in alot of clover and Brassicas so I really need to have one of these.

·
Registered
66 Posts
One of the old style units that have 15" wheels on them probably weighs in the range of 140 lbs/foot, so a 6 foot model likely weighs over 800 lbs.. One of the advantages of a tow behind are, like rmw said, is to be able to tow it behind a tiller or other piece of tillage equipment. Another advantage is if you have a buddy helping, then the 6 footer (or smaller) can be towed behind a 4 wheeler and free's up the tractor for something else.

If you have a small tractor, just assess whether you need to put front end weights on it, if you go the 3 point hitch route.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have been thinking of trying one of these. I looked at them and they seem pretty heavy duty. Just fill it with water or sand, (or better yet rim-guard, I just put it in my tractor tires and it made a huge diference in traction). They come with either a 3-point style or pull behind.

http://www.bestoutdoors.com/shop/?page_id=9

·
Registered
83 Posts
Another option might be to weld your three point on one side and then weld a foldable tongue for the other side. just hinge it straight up when you are using the 3 point hitch and if needed, fold the togue down and hook it on. Just a thought for if you ever wanted to pull it behind a disk.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have been building and selling packers for the last 3 years and have sold alot of them to guys on this site. I have 2 built so far a 6 foot with 14" wheels and a 7 footer with 12"wheels and have wheels to built 2 four footers with 12" wheels and six footer with 14" wheels and one more set of 12" wheels for a 7 ft. if anyone is looking to get a packer you can feel free to call my cell I'm in the bay city area 989-415-1180 thanks Brian

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I used a lawn roller instead of a packer. Did a good job. Smaller and easier to manuver.
Don't get me wrong a packer will be better but the roller accomplished the job. Just another option.
I used to also use a lawn roller and they work better than not packing but i just seem to get great germination with the cultipacker . I'm not sure if it has something to do with the ridges? A farmer told me the lawn roller can compact the soil too much and make it too hard for the seed to push through . I've broadcast brassicas, beans, wheat/rye, clover and have got better results with a packer than any other way I have tried . Last yr was the first yr I used a tiller and we had the best results we have ever had , it also works great in small plots in the woods . It saved me time over a disc the one pass my be slower but it is just one pass and the biggest plot we have is about 2.5ac

1 - 12 of 12 Posts