Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been fishing on Crystal Lake? Would like to know if we can get out and catch some perch.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Is This The Crystal Lake Near houghton lake?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
don't expect safe ice on Crystal Lake for a few weeks if at all this winter. Unless you plan on plugging around near shore for panfish and such. Crystal doesn't always ice-over good every year.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
This Must Be A Diffrent crystal Lake Because The One That i Was On Last Weekend Had 10+ Inches Of Ice On It.

Carl

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am asking about Crystal Lake in Benzie County. I had heard that the lake was frozen over last week in that cold spell we had. I hope that the cold weather we have right now will lock it up. I would like to go out off railroad point in 40'-60' of water and catch perch.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Koho,
The wife wants to go to Beulah for breakfast tomorrow, so if we go I'll look it over and post whatever I see on this thread after I get home. I got a nice mess of gills on Hamlin Monday, but they're gone now and some fresh perch would taste pretty good.
Butch

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to try and fish Hamiln this Monday. I have never fished there in the winter. Hopefully I can get some gills. Thanks for the help with Crystal. Higgins perch are bitting very good.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Koho,
Sorry I took so long to respond but I've been pretty busy all day. I drove all the way around Crystal today mid morning and it doesn't look good. There is a shelf of ice all the way around the edge of the lake ranging from 1/4 to 3/8 mile wide out from Beulah on the east end to ten feet in spots. There is open water fifty feet out in front of the marina on the northeast corner angling diagonally the length of the lake to Frankfort. The Railroad Point area doesn't look safe, from what I could see. In fact, there was nobody on the ice and I didn't see any area that looked safe to me. I'll keep you posted if it gets any better.
Butch

·
Registered
550 Posts
Brookside Inn I take it?

My in-laws cottage is on the NE end of the lake.....couple cottages west from the "Miller spread".

:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info Bucktail Butch. I guess we have to wait a few more weeks to get out and chase the jumbo's. I'm heading to Hamlin Lake this weekend to chase Gill's. Let me know if you find out any more on Crystal. I love that lake.

·
Registered
18 Posts
anybody going to crystal next weekend; 13-15. beware there is no parking on the south shore, (east of railroad point). rails to trails & no parking signs . the Local Athorthies are tickiting vechicals. sucks big time!!! they want people to come up for their festavil, but dont offer any parking! rails to trails is the biggest joke that ever hit this county! people have been parking there scinse there was cars!!!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
We were fishing lakers on the west end last Tuesday and a DNR creel census guy on a snowmobile stopped to get info for their survey. He told us that tickets were being issued in the area you mentioned. You can bet it was because the "special people" who live in the area complained. Imagine that, they don't want us to park there, but they will fight the new access site that is to be built where the east end of Mollineaux road intersects M-115 (Railroad Point) because they don't us to be there, either.

These clowns have their "little piece of heaven" and they'll do anything in their power to make sure that us riff-raff don't downgrade their precious jewel by dunking bait in it. These are the same people who fought the National Park Service over the Wilderness designation because it would exclude them from something they felt they own a share of. Oh yeah, like the surface of the lakes of Michigan that we all own a chunk of!!! Guess it just depends on who is being excluded.

On the subject of the new public access site, there is bound to be a battle over it. I heard recently that the Crystal Lake Association has $30,000.00 in their legal fund already. The property owners around the lake don't want us there and they will stop at nothing to delay or halt the construction of the site. As news becomes available, I'll try to keep updated info here on the site and I'll be asking for all the support anyone cares to give, probably not monetary but attendance at meetings, letters to the appropriate people, etc. Even if you don't fish Crystal lake, we would appreciate your support. If they get away with it here, a lake near you could be next.

Butch

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was up there last Tue and Wend. Thought those posts were for the bike trail that runs between the lake and road to stay off of. At least that was what one of the locals told me. Guess I was just lucky.

Gibby:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts