Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just woundering if any one has ever hunted crow island in bay city or if they know if their are any other feilds then corn or beans. I looked and i think that is all they have. Nothing is harvested :( i just lost my feild to the farmers son :( .

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
It's all marsh...no fields...
Like was already stated...their will be TONS of people in their for the opener....

·
Registered
216 Posts
The only feilds are the stork unit and off kochville RD. The geese may still use them even before havest (beans) or you can try to hunt them as traffic feilds. Do some leg work and you can get away from the crowds, most days anyway.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
how would i hunt them as traffic feilds, pass shooting ??
I would suggest you get skilled at pass shooting. As with all the morons there any decoying ducks/geese become pass shooters. Hevi-shot is a good investment. While you will have the whinning, dont be afraid of pass shooting and dropping game there.
There are good spots to be had on both sides of the saginaw river. Get there early and you will get a good spot. If your not there before midnight opening day forget it and stay home. Fire away and good luck!:lol:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Ive never hunted the crow before but me and six buddies are gonna get out there about an hour before shooting time on opening am and get to know the place and some of the locals.:evil:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol hope to see u their. i have never been their on opener so i dont know what to expect. lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
Things to expect --

1) Lots of People;
2) Lots of mosquitos';
3) A few Molt Migrators (in two big flocks - that no one will let come down);
4) A couple family groups of 5-7 goslings that will get pushed off or ground pounded at first light;
5) Sky busters from people that get frustrated because there are too many people;
6) That one lone goose that will circle both the East & Westside units looking for Momma;
7) AND Finally an opportunity to see the Blue Wings before all the early goose hunters push them out and over to Ohio.

Now, with that said - getting there early; sleeping in the marsh and FINALLY getting out is AWESOME. Dealing with the other things kind of sucks and that's why I don't hit it on opener -- but I do other times.

Good luck to all'

Big Cans (or should I say "No Cans":sad:)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Lots of competition and not a lot of birds, gonad breaking mud with briars and not a lot of water. Decent spots require a walk of at least a mile hauling gear, and it does not get lighter coming out;)

It, like any other mudhole has it's days. But it is not a flooded corn field/managed area hunt for sure... Although the crowds and baggage of hunting those money pits are worse than cramped legs that make you cry like a little girl IMHO:lol:

Been hunting there since 1982 and seen a lot since then out there.

The recent changes have made it MUCH more diffucult to hunt for the average show up and go guy.

Every year I train on the treadmill and do free weight squats to hopefully not have leg cramps knowing I will be in there walking the muck to get to birds.

I do not hunt there on opening day since they stopped the pre registered hunts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts