Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DTG and I fished all day today... braved the wind... ate thru 2 trolling motor batteries... and caught 50+ pike. Gold Husky Jerks and Perch colors worked well... but we caught fish on nearly everything we threw. Too bad not one of the fish we boated was more than 23" though... a lot of hammer handles but they all hit HARD and fought well. We didn't lose any baits either!! Also managed 5 smallies... biggest was 16 1/2". I lost another one that was probably 3+ lbs 5' from the boat.

Over all a great day on the water. Time well spent with a good friend. Oh, and the pizza at the Croton Dam Trading Post is really good when you're starving. It's nice that you can beach your boat there and get some food, beverages, bait, and tackle.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Had a great time on the water Mike, and my right arm, wrist and hand are all cooked.:lol: I've never done so much reeling in one day in my life. Now it's time to wash off two days funk and I get to sleep in tomorrow, yeeeaaaaaaa me.

We also threw fire tiger#12, silver black #18 Rapalas and everything was getting hit today. Them pike are hungry critters.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Where abouts did you guys get most of your fish in the big pond or in the causway(litle pond)? Fish their quite a bit during the summer when the weeds come up and have a riot on pike and smallies.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
none legal?..hmmm..............any talk of sizes around ramp? we used to count on at least 1 nice size esox a trip...no eyes?.........was headed ur way later today..but just jacked up my knee (walking my figgin 'mike tyson' dog)..we will see how it heels..dave sent me a good page for GR weather....do you have any of the 'berkley flicker shad'? wonder..how do you like them.....reading alot haven't bought any yet....now parsons goes ahead and wins the pwt tourney sayin he used them(also responsible for design,production)..seems the minn. fellers like 'em....geez not one you could stretch to 24? them early spring or late fall pike are the best eaters

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,449 Posts
Nice job on the slimers Mikey.... Did you take Dave 'cuz I was hot on your heels last time we fished & you didn't want to chance havin' me walk on by??
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You might want to PM ryppinlyp - he fished that quite a bit and does hang a few nice fish here -n- there , huh Chris?

:evilsmile

I heard from a certain "legend" that you can get some eyes outta croton too....
:D

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Na Robert... I asked Dave to go along because he brings less STUFF!!! LOL!!! :D

Man was it windy!!

Hey Shame... you heading over here at all this week? The Grand is fishable at the moment... unless it rains....

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,449 Posts
doox00 said:
wow, 50+ thats amazing, where is croton dam exactly?
Near the little town of Croton. Just about 14 Mi. West of M37 if you take 40th to the East ( 4-5 Mi. So. of White Cloud or abt. 6 Mi No. of Newaygo)

You fish the ponds above here.
43° 26.23'N, 85° 39.86'W

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=43.4372&lon=-85.6644&datum=nad27&u=4&layer=DRG&size=l&s=50

Wder Angle:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=43.4372&lon=-85.6644&datum=nad27&u=7&layer=DRG&size=l&s=250

How's that????

:evilsmile

P.S. Mike - still no ramp fee??

RAS

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No ramp fee!!

The DNR was there when we were leaving. She asked us how our day was... we told her. She was amazed! LOL!! So if you read a fishing report on the DNR website that says the pike are slammin on Croton... that would be us! :D She never even asked us for our licences though... which we found kinda strange.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
waterfoul said:
Na Robert... I asked Dave to go along because he brings less STUFF!!! LOL!!! :D

Man was it windy!!

Hey Shame... you heading over here at all this week? The Grand is fishable at the moment... unless it rains....
the grand? gee..will it float my craft? i draft quite a bit.....was hopin to have made it today, but jacked my knee all outa shape..tested it with brace this a.m. seems passable....dave has plans for tuesday..and i know SFw is kinda a weekend warrior...got any surefire can't miss..limit in 20 minutes..not trophies but easily 40 pound bag spots?:lol:

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
sfw1960 said:
The grand is SHALLOW most of the way - I wouldn't drop no deePVee haWG like that in it!!
no way no how!
It's gunna CONTINUE to be windy/breezy & I guess we got some rain coming in soon possibly.

http://www.wunderground.com/US/MI/White_Cloud/KMKG.html
rain? wind? shallow?,,,sheesh MIKE said..'beware of SFW' he will keep you off all his hog holes!:rolleyes: nice southerly type breeze here this sunny morn..but big waters around here here fairly mudded american side..always though the grand was a might shallow most places

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
shametamer said:
rain? wind? shallow?,,,sheesh MIKE said..'beware of SFW' he will keep you off all his hog holes!:rolleyes: nice southerly type breeze here this sunny morn..but big waters around here here fairly mudded american side..always though the grand was a might shallow most places

If you're coming over this week you can ride with me on a "local" lake. Going for eyes but nothings safe when I get out there. I'm subject to go any day so give me a hollar if'n you want to go.................

I'd take Robert but I have a load limit on my boat.......LMAO.

Dan

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
wally-eye said:
If you're coming over this week you can ride with me on a "local" lake. Going for eyes but nothings safe when I get out there. I'm subject to go any day so give me a hollar if'n you want to go.................

I'd take Robert but I have a load limit on my boat.......LMAO.

Dan
define limit! since i became handicapped..i sit in front of puter, sit in front of tv, sit in car, sit in boat..sit on glutus maximus while wifey trims my toenails, rubs my calves etc:D ...added 50 pounds since i was 198 pound weakling!..gear? i am unsure ,i have rods n reels in boat, in attic, in car, in utility room..tackle boxes the same.plus in the den(computer room, sewing room..actually just a spare bedroom), but i just got a great deal on some shimanos and some bass pro extreme, xps rods..itching to try out..plus could always use another opinion on the lakewood tackle box(contemplating buying a musky box and another 1 or 2 from them):D

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
I guess I should have stated: Robert and his "GEAR". Gear being the weight restriction.......:lol:

Handicapped? We'd make a good pair then, I'm supposed to walk with a cane and can't walk a straight line but I still can cast a little..........hips, knees and lower back killing me but I just try to "fish" around that......

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
I thought Mike had a lot of gear, when i first met him last year for a day of fishing. But I hear that Robert packs more than a woman for a weekend trip to Chicago!!!!:lol: :lol: :hide:

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
dtg said:
I though Mike had a lot of gear, when i first met him last year for a day of fishing. But I hear that Robert packs more than a woman for a weekend trip to Chicago!!!!:lol: :lol: :hide:
MAN .... I was sitting here thinking of all the different things I could chime in with. But now I'm laughing so darn hard I can't think.:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
wally-eye said:
I guess I should have stated: Robert and his "GEAR". Gear being the weight restriction.......:lol:

Handicapped? We'd make a good pair then, I'm supposed to walk with a cane and can't walk a straight line but I still can cast a little..........hips, knees and lower back killing me but I just try to "fish" around that......
yep me too..dem handicaps make it fairer for the fish..lol...runnin around ,not much sense to pack more than a rod or two and tackle to cover most anything..usually have the boat so she is loaded...hey fishin be bad..we can discuss our ills, aches and pains..like all the old farts at the nursing home:yikes:

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
wally-eye said:
Dan - Don't forget the sleep handicap.:eek: We all know you're not too keen on getting up any too early.:lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts