Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went out last weekend and took one 10" trout in eight hours worst trip for me so far but this is my first time out since september. Do the fish change locations from the summer to the winter up here? i tried just about everything i could. spawn, wigglers, wax worms, minnows, and trout worms. finally did catch one one a worm. p[lan to go up sunday and see what i can do. any advise and help would help just started trout fishing this summer. the only thing i have chang was my line size i have went up to 4lbs test on my small rods and running 6lbs red color line on my steelie rod:grouphug:

·
Registered
760 Posts
JMHO but I like to fish behind the salmon beds and along current breaks. Also, I like to let the bait/lure hang a little while at the end of the sweep. They aren't as a ggresive in the colder water. Maybe you want to try some slower water also. Dark water is good water! if you are headed to the Mo tomorrow, be careful, the water is HIGH! The melting snow and all the rain together with the draw down of Hardy pond adds a lot of water to the system.:sad: GOOD LUCK!:)

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Sounds like you fished "melt water". Good for flow, but it's right at 32. It actually cools the river.
Listen to Dutch. The wadeable fast water (Pine) just doesn't produce under those conditions. Now if you were to find the slower stretches just below there...

I'm contemplating a trip near the end of the month. The additional water brought fish and even if it gets colder the fish have acclimated by then

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Fished Wed, Thurs, and Fri last week also. We kept the skunk out of the boat, but not by much. As Shoeman said, snowmelt had the fish off bite and a very low barometer thru the period didn't help. I have a feeling some very good fishing is to had next week. New fish entered ALL the rivers with the runoff from the last warmup and with no snow to melt with the warm up coming next week.........!!:fish:

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Hey Kirk

Happy New Year, Bud!!!

Say, a few of us been talking about the end of January. Mo, Joe...

Spanky just Pm'd me about an outing on the Joe.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Let me know! I still want to get some seat time in on the snowmobile but the way this winter is going I can sit in a boat looking at rods and pretend.:lol: There's a place up north I know about where we can go and crash anytime too!!!! Happy New Year to you and tell the rest of em down there the same. Keep in touch.

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Sure will!

Knockoff is available the last 2 weekends of the month. February is kinda screwed up for me. Heading to Tennessee toward the end and back to Florida the beginning of March.

Not much into the cold-water fishery lately, although we're going jigging open water tomorrow...lol

·
Registered
342 Posts
wildcoy73 said:
went out last weekend and took one 10" trout in eight hours worst trip for me so far but this is my first time out since september. Do the fish change locations from the summer to the winter up here? i tried just about everything i could. spawn, wigglers, wax worms, minnows, and trout worms. finally did catch one one a worm. p[lan to go up sunday and see what i can do. any advise and help would help just started trout fishing this summer. the only thing i have chang was my line size i have went up to 4lbs test on my small rods and running 6lbs red color line on my steelie rod:grouphug:
wildcoy73,

fish do change their habbits when the water temps get colder. I switch to using bait/flies under a float. I thought I'd bring it up since you didn't mention using bobbers. often they are not as many of them in the system so the float allows you to cover more/and more types of water.

if you do not have access to a boat and you want to fish the muskegon, I'd head to downtown newaygo. you will have more opportunity at productive water.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
101 Posts
Went out today on the mighty Mo and picked up a nice 17 inch brown and 1 5lb steelie. plugged all day with 3 nice hits, it is slow right now but we need a change in weather. did see the sun for a couple of hours today which was a plus

1 - 9 of 9 Posts