1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt6pTEwEs9A

Yeah, I really think we would be O.K.

I personally would not have taken the shot, at least until there was no,
deer behind. If the one he shot at would have ducked the string there is a high chance of wounding the one behind.

but then again that bolt got there extremly fast, and appeared to be pretty lethal.

(oh, and it didn't seem to be very loud?)

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Interesting clip. He was sure busted by that doe pretty quickly, which kind of illustrates that scent control and getting in range is still the primary obstacle to bagging a deer. I was surprised that the doe hung around as long as she did stomping her foot.

As far as the shot, it's hard to tell whether the other deer was behind the target doe from the angle that the hunter was shooting from. It was behind it from the camera angle but the hunter seemed to be off to the left a bit, so he may have had a better angle for the shot. He was also shooting at a downward angle, so if the deer jumped the string the bolt may have just hit the dirt.

I enjoyed watching it, though. I was just waiting for that doe to bolt and see a bunch of white flags going off through the bush. The hunter did well to not rush the shot.

I have to say that I find it amazing that anyone who loves to hunt could watch that clip and reach the conclusion that the hunter in question is lazy or unsportsmanlike or lacked ethics, simply because his choice of weapon. . Looks to me like he was just like many of your average Joe six pack Michigan hunters who simply like to spend time in the woods and successfully harvest a nice fat deer.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And after all, isn't that what it's all about! To get away from everyday
problems and not worry about what others think or say.

Now if there was proof that these things are just BAD for hunting like
eradicating the herd then I would be on the band wagon, but if the shotgun,
or centerfire rifle hasn't killed them off, I highly doubt that this thing would.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I hope not! Crossbows are fine if you want to use them during gun season, but other than that, we don't need them. Why? You know all those guys that hit the woods for a few days during gun deer season and never step foot in the woods any other time of the year, now picture them on opening weekend of bow season.:yikes:

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Diggdug said:
I hope not! Crossbows are fine if you want to use them during gun season, but other than that, we don't need them. Why? You know all those guys that hit the woods for a few days during gun deer season and never step foot in the woods any other time of the year, now picture them on opening weekend of bow season.:yikes:
What about "all those guys that hit the woods for a few days during gun deer season"? Does this mean that they are somehow an inferior group of hunters? Maybe there are other reasons. Have you considered that there are many who cannot get the time away to spend more time hunting? And what ever does that have to do with the weapon of choice? What about other states that allow crossbows during archery season? Did the fact that crossbows are legal ruin the season for other hunters? I think not.

Edited by boehr, everyone is entitled to there opinion.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Diggdug said:
We don't need them? Who is We? I assume that you are speaking of Michigan sportsmen & women collectively when you say we. In point of fact there are probably a number of sportsmen out there who have a disability yet don't qualify for a permit under Michigan's Draconian crossbow permit rules. Probably a few woman and youngsters that would have a hard time pulling back a compound, who might benefit from being able to use a crossbow and who might join the hunting fraternity. I think you can make the case that those individuals need a crossbow, although need is not a word I would really apply to any weapon. Probably more appropriate to say they could benefit from a crossbow.

As far as the casual hunter who may choose to hunt only a couple of days out of the year, are you more entitled to use the public resource because you may make the personal decision to devote a greater amount of time to pursuing game? How many of those casual hunters are going to spend $1,000 or so to hunt a couple of days in early October? I truly think that concerns along these lines are greatly overblown. I doubt you would even notice the difference if crossbows had an expanded season. Has the archery season in Ohio been ruined? Has the herd there been wiped out?

Hunting is supposed to be fun. Personally I could care less if someone chooses to hunt only on opening day or whether they go out every day for the 3+ months that it is legal to hunt. Why would you care how often others choose to hunt or what weapon they choose to use?

This is not meant as a rhetorical question, I truly would like to understand the thinking & reasoning of those who want to dictate how others choose to hunt. The only valid concern that I can think of is whether the method or weapon employed would have an adverse impact on the resource or whether it would cause a disruption to other hunters (Example - firearms going off during archery season). I can buy that as a valid concern but other than that why would anyone care what methods and choice of weapons another hunter makes?

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Damnit - my first thought was to close this down - if you guys are NOT going to discuss this topic like gentlemen without the name calling then we'll not discuss it -

Be advised this thread is on tripple secret probation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad:

ferg....

·
Registered
733 Posts
Since I am way too slow of a typer to reply to every point, I will say in general terms that any law that IMHO makes deer hunting easier than it already is IE: Youth season, baiting, and the use of crossbows, is a step in the wrong direction. You should have to work hard for something this good!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Diggdug said:
Since I am way too slow of a typer to reply to every point, I will say in general terms that any law that IMHO makes deer hunting easier than it already is IE: Youth season, baiting, and the use of crossbows, is a step in the wrong direction. You should have to work hard for something this good!
So we can assume then that you hunt with a basic stick and string (preferably home made) with no sites and without the aid of a release or any other specialized equipment. And I guess we can also assume that you must hunt on the ground without scents or scentlock clothing. After all, you don't want to make this too easy. You must really have hated to see the compound bow be developed and used as well as hunting from treestands. Makes things way to easy. And you must really frown upon carbon arrows, scope sites, as well as mechanical releases.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Keep your opinions about crossbows, not your opinions about someone elses opinions or if Ferg doesn't shut it down, I will.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I think we should have a javelin only season the last week of October and the first week of November.

·
Banned
6,767 Posts
Others had said it here and I concur..taking a mature doe with any short-range weapon such a compound-, long- or cross-bow, is perhaps one of the most difficult tasks out there. As we know, bucks let down their guard somewhat during the rut. A muture doe NEVER lets down her guard, particularly when she is the group leader.

I have been "busted" by does a zillion times more than I have been by bucks. And, as for the "sound" of a crossbow when it releases.....I personally wait until a deer is within 20 yards for many reasons including the fact that my crossbow is indeed loud and arrow jump is common. So, I wait until the shot presents itself. If not, I dont take it, reminding myself once again how much I dislike dressing out a deer as well as the fact that I hate the taste of venison, which only goes to reinforce my decision not to shoot.

·
Premium Member
13,412 Posts
A poster notes: "I think we should have a javelin only season..."

Seems to me there was a news story going around within the last couple of years of Pennsylvania legalizing....or considering to legalize ......the atlatl. !!!

I never saw the proponents articulated reasons for wanting it...but I'd bet it would be interesting.

Color me skeptical.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
fairfax1 said:
Color me skeptical.
Me too. I was being sarcastic. :)

Sarcasm aside, I would not oppose it as long they really did not have a special season for it. Three distinct seasons is adaquate I think.

·
Premium Member
13,412 Posts
Yup, Yooper, I knew you were throwin' the javelin with a wink. I appreciated your parody. These xbow threads get snakebite serious in a nanosecond so your humor was appreciated.

I've been reading ---and participating --- in these tempest-in-a-teapot hissyfits for some time. If all the posts were collected into one volume and a newbie hunter was to sit down and read them.......well, I'd think the last people he'd want to be in the woods with are the folks one each side of this issue.

Can't these folks learn to party?!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
To me this video proves the main difference between bows and crossguns(yea I said it lol). That being that you would have had to have your bow drawn back and held it the whole time waiting for the correct angle. That doe was ready to spring and it would have been almost impossibale with a bow to draw on her. With a cross gun you just point and shoot. SSSSSo keep them out of archery season and in gun season where they belong.

It is some great hunting footage and I enjoyed it. It looked like he spined her?

Having said that I dont see anything wrong with loosening up the requirments to get one like with over a certain age and lessening the dissability amount. Also let them be in BP season. But not during artchery.

This just my opinion so flame away if you must. Its not directed towards anyone and its not ment to be negitive.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Chuck said:
This just my opinion so flame away if you must. Its not directed towards anyone and its not ment to be negitive.
There will be no flaming Chuck, everyone is free to air their opinions here without personal attacks in return -

ferg....

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Chuck said:
To me this video proves the main difference between bows and crossguns(yea I said it lol). That being that you would have had to have your bow drawn back and held it the whole time waiting for the correct angle. That doe was ready to spring and it would have been almost impossibale with a bow to draw on her. With a cross gun you just point and shoot. SSSSSo keep them out of archery season and in gun season where they belong.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The fellow went hunting with a weapon and took a deer. How do you know you couldn't have shot that deer with a compound and dropped her as well? If that man was legally hunting I see no problem at all. You could be in good camo and got away with a longbow even. Important thing is fellow got to hunt. It shouldn't matter what weapon as long as he's legal.....m

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
marty said:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The fellow went hunting with a weapon and took a deer. How do you know you couldn't have shot that deer with a compound and dropped her as well? If that man was legally hunting I see no problem at all. You could be in good camo and got away with a longbow even. Important thing is fellow got to hunt. It shouldn't matter what weapon as long as he's legal.....m
I agree 100%

I would not have shot the deer being she was alert to the hunter.

Some are making a lot of assumtions.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts