Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was in the need to have a crossbow press so I made one and was wondering about what you guys are using. I have been shooting and hunting with a crossbow for the last 10 to 12 years (with a disability permit though our state of Michigan of course) and I was getting sick and tired of waiting on the local shops and paying them for work that I could do if I had a press and I enjoy tinkering on my hunting tools. I will try to post some pictures of what I use, what do you use?

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
Nice looking presss. Would you do anythig different if you were to do it again?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Glad it works for you! Most of the mfgs don't want you to press the limbs like that, look at most of the new presses they have "fingers" that cradle the tip of the limbs and press inward, sorta like the same as when the bow is drawn. I built mine to work on anything, with a lot of adjustment for different bows/xbows. I use a worm style boat hitch and the square tubing to slide in and out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Glad it works for you! Most of the mfgs don't want you to press the limbs like that, look at most of the new presses they have "fingers" that cradle the tip of the limbs and press inward, sorta like the same as when the bow is drawn. I built mine to work on anything, with a lot of adjustment for different bows/xbows. I use a worm style boat hitch and the square tubing to slide in and out.
I do under stand that, the first press that I made did have fingers like what your does, the problem with the one that I first made is that it would not take the presser of the Stryke Force limbs and the back bone on the press would bow from the presser:confused::dizzy:. So I came up with this design when I was having a nightmare and the other press exploded under presser:yikes: now that I made this one I have pressed all 3 of my xbow with no problems. I can put the Stryke Force or the Desert Stryker in the press and turn the turnbuckle by hand and not having to use the pin for turning the turnbuckle, now that was impressive:) When I change it from the turnbuckle setup to the cable and jack setup it takes less than a minute and there is a ton of adjustments and it pressed my Barnett RC-300 in a snap.:D:D Very pleased with this design and ease of use. Thanks Sea-nile (Mark)

·
Registered
601 Posts
I just fixed a RC-300, what kind of speed or you getting? I had to make a mount for the quiver, and change string. The cable plastic is coming off in places other than that it was ok. Sorry didn't mean to hijack your tread. BTW your press seems to have a lot of adjustment-good. Do you always press your bows with the stock on? It looks like you have a support piece for your stock. I do not have that so I take the stock off for fear of twisting the limbs. I hope you are haveing a good year.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I just fixed a RC-300, what kind of speed or you getting? I had to make a mount for the quiver, and change string. The cable plastic is coming off in places other than that it was ok. Sorry didn't mean to hijack your tread. BTW your press seems to have a lot of adjustment-good. Do you always press your bows with the stock on? It looks like you have a support piece for your stock. I do not have that so I take the stock off for fear of twisting the limbs. I hope you are haveing a good year.
I'll have to get back with you on the speed of the RC-300. I'll shoot it through my chronograph the next time I have it setup. That is a common problem with the RC's with the cables, was that you that I told about the top mount that you can install by drilling and taping your riser (look at the bracket on my Stryke Force to see one it work's great) from Wyvern Creation? To get some replacement cables call Barnett for the synthetic ones 800-237-4507. Yes I do press all of my x-bows with the stock on and I don't have a support for that, I do have plenty of clearance so there is no problem. Seanile

·
Registered
414 Posts
Wow... I can use a heavy cord to take my string off my Excalibur. Cost me about 50 cents and two loops at each end. I made it myself lol. hey by the way nice fabricating on the press,looks gr8. Now I know why i went to an Excalibur cross bow. I used to have a devastator xbow ...too many cams and cables .No more messing with nothing but the string . Hey good luck on your press...:coolgleam:coolgleam:coolgleam:coolgleam

·
Registered
971 Posts
Wow... I can use a heavy cord to take my string off my Excalibur. Cost me about 50 cents and two loops at each end. I made it myself lol. hey by the way nice fabricating on the press,looks gr8. Now I know why i went to an Excalibur cross bow. I used to have a devastator xbow ...too many cams and cables .No more messing with nothing but the string . Hey good luck on your press...:coolgleam:coolgleam:coolgleam:coolgleam
To each his own...;)
That's why there are so many makes & models.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts