Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did any of you catch this weeks episode where they highlighted the decocker device for most crossbows? It looks like a cool idea, but I wasn't completely sold on using it...and it's just one more thing to carry around for an already moderately heavy and bulky crossbow. It looks like it would work for most folks who don't have disabilities or are weak in the hands/arms.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
At 130$ i'll just shoot a target arrow into a bag at the end of a hunt.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. That is pricey.

One other thing they said in their sales pitch is why ruin the last 15 minutes of your hunt to discharge your bolt? Is it because you aren't supposed to shoot a crossbow after legal shooting hours? In the mornings, I suppose it doesn't matter. I bought a cheap aluminum bolt for mine that I just shoot into the ground, lost the field tip once, but it has held up for three seasons thus far and is what the dealer recommended I do.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Wow. That is pricey.

One other thing they said in their sales pitch is why ruin the last 15 minutes of your hunt to discharge your bolt? Is it because you aren't supposed to shoot a crossbow after legal shooting hours? In the mornings, I suppose it doesn't matter. I bought a cheap aluminum bolt for mine that I just shoot into the ground, lost the field tip once, but it has held up for three seasons thus far and is what the dealer recommended I do.
Me i just use a regular bolt with a field tip and just shoot in to a target bag thats in the back of truck no need to shoot into ground . i walk in and out with my crossbow cocked but no bolt in the bow. When i get back to truck grab the target bolt out of back of truck load up shoot bag with it laying in back about 16 inches away pull out arrow and lay on bed whole process takes about 20 sec . I'm not hunting i'm target shooting no hrs on target shooting

·
Registered
35,772 Posts
I use my cocking rope to discharge my bow. Put your foot in the stirrup, hook up the cocking rope, put tension on it with one hand and use the other hand to pull the trigger. Let it down easy.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I use my cocking rope to discharge my bow. Put your foot in the stirrup, hook up the cocking rope, put tension on it with one hand and use the other hand to pull the trigger. Let it down easy.
I put one end of the rope in my mouth and hold with my teeth. :)

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Mine is a wicked ridge has anti dry fire need to have arrow in to be able to shoot and it says not to do this using the accudraw 52 it's not that hard doing it my way

·
Registered
388 Posts
For those with the dry fire safety couldn't you just cut a 3-4" length of arrow and stick it in the action and de-cock with the rope? I saw the video on MOOD tv on Thursday and thought it was slick but the price for that de-cocking mechanism is ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Just another reason to get an Excalibur. You can de-cock them, change your own bow sting in the field and less parts to fail with no cams and pulleys.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
For those with the dry fire safety couldn't you just cut a 3-4" length of arrow and stick it in the action and de-cock with the rope? I saw the video on MOOD tv on Thursday and thought it was slick but the price for that de-cocking mechanism is ridiculous.
You probably could but then that short arrow is aimed right at your foot when de-cocking no thank you.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Just another reason to get an Excalibur. You can de-cock them, change your own bow sting in the field and less parts to fail with no cams and pulleys.
Not worried to much about that any more then i was with my compound bow. I can't figure out why people think crossbows are so much worst then a compound bow on taking care of it . if my sting would break i would change it just like i would my Hoyt if it broke on it. I take it you hut with a recurve ??

·
Registered
18,689 Posts
Not worried to much about that any more then i was with my compound bow. I can't figure out why people think crossbows are so much worst then a compound bow on taking care of it . if my sting would break i would change it just like i would my Hoyt if it broke on it. I take it you hut with a recurve ??
How are you changing/replacing a compound x bow string in the field?. Benefits exist to being able to change a string in the field. Adjust brace height with out a bow press. Flip string to keep serving wear even. I know better but years ago did bump a string with a broad head.
A wet/frozen string being exchanged for a dry.
There are advantages to being able to service your own equipment.
If you want to go to a shop or have your own press thats fine too.
There will be periodic service required on either style ,more often if shot more,likely annually at least.
The efficiency is not that great and string on either is scrubbing on the rail and gets tensioned by the trigger so try to keep it even or just replace more often. Whats an annual service run for a non press owner?

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
How are you changing/replacing a compound x bow string in the field?. Benefits exist to being able to change a string in the field. Adjust brace height with out a bow press. Flip string to keep serving wear even. I know better but years ago did bump a string with a broad head.
A wet/frozen string being exchanged for a dry.
There are advantages to being able to service your own equipment.
If you want to go to a shop or have your own press thats fine too.
There will be periodic service required on either style ,more often if shot more,likely annually at least.
The efficiency is not that great and string on either is scrubbing on the rail and gets tensioned by the trigger so try to keep it even or just replace more often. Whats an annual service run for a non press owner?
How do people do it on their compounds now??? my brother owns a press. when we go on a trip it goes with us. They recommend to change them every 2 yrs so i do that plus i have a spare in case it breaks. People act like these strings break after 5 or 6 shots there not much different then a compound sure **** happens just like **** happens with a compound .

·
Registered
388 Posts
How do people do it on their compounds now??? my brother owns a press. when we go on a trip it goes with us. They recommend to change them every 2 yrs so i do that plus i have a spare in case it breaks. People act like these strings break after 5 or 6 shots there not much different then a compound sure **** happens just like **** happens with a compound .
I think Waif is talking about how an Excalibur (recurve) crossbow can be serviced easily in the field. Not serviced at camp but actually taking a string out of your pocket and doing the work in your stand or in the woods/field without the aid of a press. Cam timing and paper tuning not required on the Excalibur either. Not sure if that pertains to compound crossbows but having cams I would suspect it would.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I think Waif is talking about how an Excalibur (recurve) crossbow can be serviced easily in the field. Not serviced at camp but actually taking a string out of your pocket and doing the work in your stand or in the woods/field without the aid of a press. Cam timing and paper tuning not required on the Excalibur either. Not sure if that pertains to compound crossbows but having cams I would suspect it would.
I'm sure all recurves can can be fixed in the field . I'm not trying to be a ass but why isn't there all this worry about compound bow hunters being able to fix there bow in the field. As soon as someone says crossbow all of sudden everyone is worried about string coming apart . Just like any thing else you take care of your stuff and do proper maintenance you should be fine. Maliki when you hunted with a compound bow did you worry about how you where going to change the string if it broke ???/

·
Registered
20,130 Posts
I would have went with an Excalibur,, but it didn't fit in my truck... It also would have been creating too much noise,, hitting all the trees on both sides of the two-track on the way to my blind. :lol:

Seriously though,, I just fire a bolt into the dirt when I'm done hunting,,, no big deal at all. I'd never buy that de-cocker.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm sure all recurves can can be fixed in the field . I'm not trying to be a ass but why isn't there all this worry about compound bow hunters being able to fix there bow in the field. As soon as someone says crossbow all of sudden everyone is worried about string coming apart . Just like any thing else you take care of your stuff and do proper maintenance you should be fine. Maliki when you hunted with a compound bow did you worry about how you where going to change the string if it broke ???/
No Sir I did not!

·
Registered
18,689 Posts
Ain,t worried just pleased to not need a press.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/allen-crossbow-decocking-arrow.html

Lancaster archery-$9.00 + shipping (think $5.00)

works great
just point towards ground and release
bounces maybe 10 yards infront of you.
no worries of having cocked x-bow into or out of woods
and carried in quiver like any other arrow
is a little longer because of the hard tip - but not much
and don't have to take a spare target of any sort
beats the price on anything and safest release you can bet on

1 - 20 of 21 Posts