Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this will vary greatly from cover-to-cover, time of year, and among individual birds (young, old, etc.) but I'm interested in hearing what you're finding (or have found) in grouse crops.

Typically we'll find a mix of acorns, leafy matter consisting of aspen, blackberry, clover, etc., and berries like dogwood, thornapple, etc.

Here's a young one we shot the other day with a crop that included the following items:

Lady bug
Daddy long legs
Barberry
Acorns
Mushrooms
Some unknown fibrous stems and other plant matter

Here's another funny thing. My buddy got poison ivy between his fingers once when he opened a crop full of PI leaves.

Ray

Attachments

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yes it's always interesting to check the contents. Ruffed grouse has a very diverse diet. The young birds always seem to have the bugs, catapilars etc. they are raised eating them most of the summer. I will try and dig up a picture I have from years ago. Of a crop full of tent catapilars . It's amazing what you will find in ole ruff.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
My dog enjoys daddy long legs as well.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Killed 4 this weekend, most were filled with green leaves with a random dogwood berry or hawthorn. However, one was filled with slugs.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
Well the ones I got yesterday had corn, carrots and whichhezel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts