Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this morning with my daughter to fish out from the DNR ramp at Crocker RD. The ice at the bottom of the ramp is pretty much gone. Very tricky to get onto ice there.

I guy tipped his 4 wheeler into the water trying to get on to the lake. He got WET! Bummer to start your day.

We caught 6 perch, dinks, about 1 mile out in 10 fow.

Had a good time though. Nice talking at you Tin Can.

Coming back in at 5:30pm, same slop but worse at the ramp. Another guy took a bath. One guy was coming down the ramp, eyed the slop and went for it. He got across rather roughly, his machine died as soon as it got up on the ice. Could not get it restarted. Guess his evening was screwed. Bummer.

I think that's going to be it for me at crocker rd launch until ice is off. Too darn slopy to get onto the ice, not worth getting wet. Off to selfridge next time.

For the atv guys, be super careful there. You will need 8-10 ft boards to get onto the ice safely. I really hate to see anyone get wet but most importantly, hurt.

·
Registered
663 Posts
thanks for the heads up . i was gunna bring the golf cart there tommorrow, guess i will try metros launch.

·
Registered
723 Posts
My buddy Tim and I did OK, we got 27 between us ranging from 9"to 12", also threw about 10-12 little guys back for next year.

I was the lucky one catching the hogs, most of the hogs were caught on minnows with a slip.

Moved six times, on the last move just drilled hole everywhere with in a 100 foot area, and moved every 15 minutes with in the area..

What a nice day, on Saturday.

Hopefully I may get out once more. But if not that is ok, getting the boat ready for them eyes.

Tin Can

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Any word on how the ramp looks today??(pm)

To be perfectly honest with ya,, I don't feel ONE BIT sorry for the guys that dunked their vehicles in the moat, there. I told EVERYONE I saw out there, that all those vehicles are going to mess up that launch, BAD. Now look at what we got,, 15" of ice and "hardly' any way to get onto it.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
well put.... if they would use one side and let one side for walkers.... but no... lazy is as lazy does... at least we don't have to worry about there sorry lazy arses out on the ice...

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
SORRY THIS IS A DAY LATE BUT SATURDAY TURNED OUT TO BE A LONGER DAY THAN WE BARGAINED FOR WITH THE DNR RAMP BEING ALL JACKED UP . I STUCK MY MACHINE IN THAT HOLE ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF RAMP ,GOOD NEWS IS WE GOT IT OUT WITH A LITTLE HELP THANKS AGAIN GUYS .BUT NO THANKS TO THE GUY WHO LEAD ME IN THE HOLE.THE FISHING WAS PRETTY GOOD WE CAUGHT 40 BETWEEN PATTY AND I . HUNG OUT WITH TIN CAN , TIM AND MIKE THE ELDER HAD SOME GREAT LAUGHS WITH THEM GUYS NICE TO MEETS ALL OF YOU AND HOPE TO FISH WITH YOU GUYS AGAIN ,MAYBE PULLING WIRE.

A/K/A MING MING

·
Registered
505 Posts
Duh.....are we all stupid in our old age or what??? I just realized that all we have to do is back our trailers into the water like we do with our boats....and take the ATV's off the back of the trailer when they get to the edge of the ice. Its all concrete below the water....and if not its only two foot of water anyhow and our atv trailers don't weigh enough to tear the axles out of if we go off the ege of the ramp. The biggest problem you have then is getting from the ice to your car upon your return without getting wet.....
I'm surprised that some contractor has'nt brought some scrap lumber from a building site to make a ramp for the foot guys and ATV's.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Neversunk, is 100% right here… that’s how my friend has been doN it for quite some time now. Hat’s off to neversunk for using his tinKer :D; and then 4 sharN his brainstorm wif everyone!

I don’t have the privilege of owning one of dems ATV’s/SnowMobiles, so I get lotS of great exercise walkN out and back to my fishing holes. It's good fer me ticker they say, so keep on keeping on!

:confused: Now, if anyone can figure out a way to keep those dang machines away from people who are catching fish in shallow water we’ll all be winners? I mean don’t ya just love it when your catchN fish like crazy in 4 fow, and some yahoo wif a 10” power auger pulls up and cuts their holes in 6” of ice when you could cut one with your hand lazer in the time it takes em just to start theirs :rolleyes:!

I say thanks neversunk… U da ma ;)!

Dan K.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
One thing I saw that needs to be addressed. As I was coming back to the ramp one guy parked on the ramp and proceeded to put his gear away blocking the ramp so any one else that wanted to get off or on the ice had to wait. That is rude aand I would bet this guy is the same kind of person who dumps trash on the ice and leaves small fish on the ice. there really is no place for these slobs.
well I got that off my chest
FROM EYECATCHER/FAIRHAVEN SATURDAY
I GUESS THE BOTTOM LINE IS YOU CAN'T WIN FOR LOSING.

A/K/A MING MING

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello fellow fishermen, I also have complaints about the broken up ramp, Someone is going to get hurt one of these days. I was so mad yesterday that when i got home i wrote the DNR Parks Divison Board. Here's a copy of what i wrote: Mr . hertel, I am writing to you in regards to the new launch site that is located at Ballard rd. & Jefferson on lake St. Clair. recently I spoke with one of the DNR Officers at that location about the problem with automobiles using the ramp to drive their autos out onto the ice. It seems every year they are allowed to do this and are destroying the ice at the launch, therefore inturn causing much difficulty in getting our snowmobiles, quads, and ourselves onto the ice. it has created a seriously dangerous situation. Someone is eventually going to be hurt if this practice isnt stopped. Is there anyway the Board could approve the use of signs & barracades to stop this ? I would truely like a response from you on addressing this matter in front of the state parks board.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hats off to you friend !! This is the kind of action needed with these situations. There is no reason the DNR couldn't use them big cement barracades to completely block off the ramp leaving only openings big enough for quads and snowmobiles to fit thru. These trucks, cars and vans this year was completely rediculous. Thanks for your efforts !! I'm interested in hearing about their response to your letter.
:D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Joe,
I know what you mean but.....
I don't think a guy with a quad/snowmobile has a greater rite to access than anyone driving a car/truck. My fear (if we press this issue) is closure to access period. Which btw has already occurred at several parks. Besides places like Cotton rd also get tore up by quads making it difficult for walkers to access.
Just my 2 cents.
JigmanII

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I agree with JigmanII as far as them closing some accesses.

I don't think they are going to spend any money on the ramps for Icefishing use. And they just might shut them down for the winters if they think they are dangerous. You do have a good idea though

I was at the LSC outing at Crocker this year and watched people drive up to the launch from out on the ice way too fast. You need to get people to understand they need to come off the lakes in cars and trucks very slowly for the last 50 yards or so to keep the launch from "blowing out".

Don't know how to do that though, most people don't give a hoot about other folks, just care about themselves. As long as thier big ol 4X4 pickup makes it out, the Heck with everyone else.

I like the idea about the barracades, even if they just use them to slow people down coming off the ice

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
While we are on the subject...there was 30 inches of Ice at Lake Simcoe and I didn't see any cars or trucks out there except to park near shore...is it Illegal to drive a car on the ice in Canada? If so they might be on to something...every year I see trucks out there when I wouldn't even chance a quad out there....

I like the idea about the barracades, even if they just use them to slow people down coming off the ice
How about SPEED BUMPS????:p :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Jiggman , not to be rude, but isnt that why we purchase stickers for our snowmobiles & quads. I feel if we have to buy them to run out there then maybe they should make autos-trucks purchase them also, then limit them heavy vechiles to a certian side of the ramp and leave the other side for lightweight machines and walkers. by the way, do you honestly think there going to shut down the ramp for the few measly dollers it would cost to use barracades, compaired to the amount of money that we spend to use this site. 4 bucks a pop and it was always loaded. Also as were on the subject of Cotton rd. That is a dead end street not a public access site.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
good question ibfish . I wonder is cars ect do need an orv sticker to drive on the ice?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Cotton Road is a public access.....thats why the township failed when they tried to block it off a few years ago. They were ordered by the courts to remove their barricades. We used to drive out from there when I was a kid in my dads 1957 Plymouth. Since then the township and neighbors have dumped the crap you see there in their idea of an attempt to at least make our lives miserable if they cannot completely legally block it off (notice that nobody has tried to remove the debris....they call it a "safety measure to prevent someone from driving into the lake accidently"). The DNR refuses to get involved in the whole mess cause they're tired of hearing the neighbors complaining about us icefishermen. Many of the problems there stem from the "old days" of tons of brown liquor bottles and non deposit beer bottles and cans being strewn about and broken all over. Todays icefishermen have cleaned up their image considerably compared to the spear chuckin drunken rednecks that gave us the bad name 35 years ago. Unfortunately some of us still have live with the legacy of a few of their decendants who are on the ice haunting us like the remnants of Saddam Hussein's loyal guards.....not that I'm on a rant today or anything - I'm just stressed out cause I wanna go ice fishing so bad......

·
Registered
505 Posts
registered vehicles don't need an orv sticker to use the ice. Thats how the snowmobiles got an exemption to be used on the ice "strictly for the purpose of ice fishing" without one. I love the golf cart gig though.....that had to get the DNR scratching his head....:confused:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I don't think closeing it to cars and trucks is the answer. They have just as much of a right to be out there as you walking does.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
I don't have a problem with people driving on the ice, what I have a problem with is people driving on the ice and messing up the launch, to the point that "walkers" can't even get on the ice. Why not drive on the ice at Metro??? Metro never seems to get messed up, from people driving on and off the ice.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts