Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I've been adding it in for about 5 years, oats ,CC and WW is my FP mix. Some years the carry over is better than others, but it usually will go to seed the next year in June for me.
Our deer seem to hammer it. My sand is as light as you get and it seems to thrive. I buy mine online from Dixie seeds from Georgia.

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Back in 2009 or 20010 Jake Ehlinger recommend I plant crimson clover on my low ph sand plots in Ogemaw county. I bought some from him and planted it with WR. It out performed any clover I had tried. I been using it every year since. It grows taller than other clovers and ther deer like it.

Good thing broom is no longer here, he'd be telling Wild Thing he is wrong because crimson will not grow in northern Michigan :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
8,720 Posts
Back in 2009 or 20010 Jake Ehlinger recommend I plant crimson clover on my low ph sand plots in Ogemaw county. I bought some from him and planted it with WR. It out performed any clover I had tried. I been using it every year since. It grows taller than other clovers and ther deer like it.

Good thing broom is no longer here, he'd be telling Wild Thing he is wrong because crimson will not grow in northern Michigan :ROFLMAO:
Pretty sure I tried it cause of you originally. Thnx

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

·
Registered
255 Posts
Learned something new (or at least that I never considered )

"Most popular varieties of crimson clover contain 50% coating material per bag, thus a 50- lb. bag of crimson only contains 25 pounds of actual seed".

Now trying to recall any other coated seeds I have used before. Will have to keep this in mind for my Excel plot calculator next year.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Learned something new (or at least that I never considered )

"Most popular varieties of crimson clover contain 50% coating material per bag, thus a 50- lb. bag of crimson only contains 25 pounds of actual seed".

Now trying to recall any other coated seeds I have used before. Will have to keep this in mind for my Excel plot calculator next year.
I noticed that too and am now wondering if my seeding rate was too low.

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
My local feed mill in Norway changed hands this year - It has been Ray's Feed Mill forever but it is now Parker Seed & Supply. I stopped in the other day to pick up some urea to top-dress my brassicas and just took a chance on asking about Crimson as last year there was none to be found anywhere near here. I ended up getting it from Welters in Iowa last year.

Lo and Behold! They had it by the 50# bag or by the pound - $1.90/lb so I picked up a few pounds to add to my cover crop next month.

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
I'm going to try this. Got my seed yesterday. I have already hit the field with Gly once, about 2 weeks ago, I was thinking of hitting it one more time. Any advice as to timing between when I spray and when I can broadcast the seed? I was thinking about broadcasting the seed, cultipacking and then spraying later that same day. Will that harm the seed?

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
I'm going to try this. Got my seed yesterday. I have already hit the field with Gly once, about 2 weeks ago, I was thinking of hitting it one more time. Any advice as to timing between when I spray and when I can broadcast the seed? I was thinking about broadcasting the seed, cultipacking and then spraying later that same day. Will that harm the seed?
No, your seed will not be harmed.

Reactions: ThreeDogsDown
21 - 40 of 41 Posts