Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before last year I had never planted Crimson Clover as I always thought it would winter kill and not be available the next year, like the typical Medium Red and various White Clovers I generally plant. I know some of you guys in lower Michigan have successfully planted it so last year I decided to at least give it a try. I guess you never know for sure unless you actually plant some to see what happens.

So...that is exactly what I did. I ordered some seed from Welter seed and planted 2#/acre along with my July brassicas and I also included 2#/acre in my 12-seed fall cover crop mix in August. Lo and Behold....look what has shown up in those plots this week:

This is in one of the played out brassica plots. I included some medium red clover as well as the crimson clover in with the brassica seed. Later on I broadcasted some cereal rye into the brassicas as well.

Sure beats having nothing but bare ground after the deer have their way with your brassicas...

This is what the fall cover crop looks like this week...

As they say...you learn something new every year and that has certainly been the case here. I will definitely be including Crimson Clover in this years' planting as well.

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any signs of deer eating it or are you using it for soil stabilization?
I planted it as a soil builder and to add more diversity of plants but the deer are browsing it. From what I understand it is a preferred browse forage.

Deer have been browsing in these plots all spring. Up until now I just thought they were foraging on the Medium Red Clover, and the rye when it was more appealing. I didn't recognize the Crimson until the red seed heads appeared.

Food Plot Species Profile: Crimson Clover | NDAhttps://www.deerassociation.com › food-plot-species-pr...

·
Premium Member
16,897 Posts
All my plots are going to be done this way. July I'll run my spring harrow through my clover and chicory sparsley at a shallow depth, plant a mix of crimson and brassica more crimson than brassica. Come back in early september and reseed with rye and vetch. Worked for me last year and im doing it again this year.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Last summer was also my first time trying crimson clover. Much to my surprise, it also came back for me this spring. I have already purchased a 50lb bag of it and will be including it in all of my brassica and fall grain mixes. At a $1.30 per pound it's super inexpensive and 50lbs should go a long ways for us.

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last summer was also my first time trying crimson clover. Much to my surprise, it also came back for me this spring. I have already purchased a 50lb bag of it and will be including it in all of my brassica and fall grain mixes. At a $1.30 per pound it's super inexpensive and 50lbs should go a long ways for us.
Yes it is very inexpensive. I got mine from Welters last year and I did purchase enough to get the half price shipping. I am pretty sure I planted everything I had last year so will have to order more. None of the seed dealers up here sell it.

Crimson Clover (w/Nitro Coat® Organic)

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reactions: jr28schalm

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
16,897 Posts
Where did you get the 50# bag at?

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where did you get the 50# bag at?
Nobody stocks it up here BB so I got mine from Welter Seed in Iowa ($72/50#). If you order 50# of seed they will split the shipping costs with you (or is it 25#?). I have bought a lot of seed from them in the past. Great prices and great customer service along with great products.

·
Premium Member
16,897 Posts
Nobody stocks it up here BB so I got mine from Welter Seed in Iowa ($72/50#). If you order 50# of seed they will split the shipping costs with you (or is it 25#?). I have bought a lot of seed from them in the past. Great prices and great customer service along with great products.

yeah i have a hard time finding it local

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
planted 2#/acre along with my July brassicas
I'm going to reseed with brassica and crimson again in late July.
Do you guys add crimson to your existing brassica blend or do you lower your brassica seed rate? I've mixed crimson with rye before but never mixed into brassica.

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Do you guys add crimson to your existing brassica blend or do you lower your brassica seed rate? I've mixed crimson with rye before but never mixed into brassica.
This is the recipe I used last year Dish:

Land Pride 606NT No-Till Drill
Brassicas 2020 - Drilled July 9th

Large Box:

GH Forage Radish 6#/acre

Small Box:

Purple Top Turnips 1#/acre
Barkant Turnips 1#acre
Appin Forage Turnips 1#/acre
Kestrel Kale 2#/acre
Crimson Clover 2#/acre
Medium Red Clover 2#/acre

Total 9#/acre + Radish = 15#/acre

I also broadcasted rye over this mix 4-5 weeks later.

As I mentioned on the other thread, I never even noticed the clovers in with the brassicas last year as they were overshadowed by the brassicas. In fact, I wasn't even aware that the Crimson had survived winter until it flowered this spring. While it looks like this is a heavy rate of seeding for brassicas, the clovers never really entered into the picture until spring.

This year I did not drill the brassicas - I just broadcasted them into the sugar beets which I had drilled in mid-May. So....this is what the recipe looked like in 2021:

RR Sugar Beets - 2#/acre (50,000 seeds/acre) - (Drilled in mid-May)
Purple Top Turnips - 1#/acre (The following were all broadcasted on July 6th)
Winfred Forage Brassica 1#/acre
Barkant Forage Turnips - 1#/acre
Appin Forage Turnips - 1#/acre
Crimson Clover - 1#/acre
Medium Red Clover - 1#/acre
Tillage Radish - 5 #/acre

1 - 20 of 41 Posts