Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo we have a sandy natural gas pipeline that runs the length of our ~80 acres, and the last few years I have been trying to plant tall grasses to screen to give the deer comfort, and allow me to walk in to stand more discretely. I have spoken with the energy company, and you can't plant anything woody. I have tried planting grain sorghum and egyptian wheat, and neither took at all. Tried this two years in a row to make sure I was planting late enough and with enough rain, but still nothing. There is some little blue stem and big blue stem in the area, but buying these seeds is expensive as crap. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions? I was thinking maybe something that looks natural but is man made, but can be rolled away or moved if the energy company needs to get through? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
35,821 Posts
It’s possible your past cover failures are due to residual herbicide used by whomever maintains the ROW for the utility. There are all kinds of brush killers used by maintenance crews some have long lasting effects.

Reactions: chedda bob

·
Registered
18,753 Posts
Can't see your site...

I'd get off the gas line's right of way twenty or thirty yards and focus on that area for screen.
The gas line I used to hunt deer crossed more than ran it's length. Using low terrain to do so when pressured.

There should already be a vegetative edge existing. Sunlight allowing thicker cover than farther away from open gas line , and beginning where sand is not toxic near the line..

Plantings are at risk of weed/brush killer overspray when tight to gas line border too.

A screen twenty yards off the lines edge and twenty yards wide (yes that is generous) gives you screen when walking the line. (Assuming it's like a place I hunted the company gave us permission to be there) ...And screen from the other side if you are avoiding detection from the line. (Again , I can't see there. Deer are coming and going from where to where? Ect..".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts