Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to float out an idea and get some feedback:

The late season bedding problem I see is the lack of coverage after most of the green foliage is gone.. Late October my neck of the woods. We have deep areas of small pines, but not in all areas we want to establish new bedding.

Hinge cutting is quick, but I have seen heavily hinged bedding areas on other properties which you can see right through after the leaves fall. So I am incorporating White Pines, Holly and some grasses in and around new bedding area's, but they require some time for them to grow to the right coverage.

My new idea is to use man made materials like burlap or camo netting and attach it in strips from about 2 ft off the ground to about 6 ft off the ground in random sections around a new bedding areas (of course leaving opening for access and some sight lines). The idea is just to use as a temporary screening for 2-3 years, until the pines, holly and other plants fill in.

Not cheap, I know, but in the grand scheme, if it can accelerate by 1-2 years the deer using the bedding cover in late season, it could be worth it.

My fear (other clearing the expense with the finance dept :16suspect ) is that the material might spook the deer, and of course it may breakdown too fast in the weather.

Just a idea I am working out while I wait for the snow to melt - Would love feedback or ideas on the topic - Thanks.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I like the outside the box thinking. I have used the camp burlap on some of my stands and I don’t see it weathering for than 6-9 months in some areas. Broken branches took out my cover on one of my stands this past Fall.
If u try it tho, report back how it works. IMO ideas like these might sound a little crazy, but u never know unless u try

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Anybody that has done serious habitat work has had people look at you with that blank stare and say....you did WHAT? Only way to find out is try. We learn the most from out mistakes, but also almost as much from our success and experimentations.

·
Registered
122 Posts
In our neck of the woods,white pine are a perferred winter food. I have planted them and the only one that didnt get browsed later died when a buck rubbed it. I would use white or norway spruce, just my 2 cents

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks NT - After some research I may go with norway spruce or do a mix of pine & spruce. Have not seen too much browsing on the pines yet (We have lots in the back 1/4 of property), but I like the idea of diversity.

Spring tree sale coming soon - so I am getting ready to order another 400-500 trees/shrubs this year for planting.

Hope I can get the TSI and bedding areas created before they arrive in April.. Always more work to do than time to finish it.

Reactions: Big CC

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Pines are great in a heavy ag cover starved setting. Nothing beats a good ole heavy aggressive hingecut in a heavy cover setting with multiple food plots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts