Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is for everybody, but i would like to hear from some of the old school guys, what is the weirdest or craziest bait or deer attractant you have ever used?

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Gallon of my pee poured onto a scrape in front of my treestand.......small buck came in and tore it up............next day when I came back looked like a herd of buffalo had wallowed in the scrape.........shot a real big 7 from that scrape that afternoon..........

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have viewed this site for about a year without posting. This thread made me come out of the shadows -- funyuns!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Grandpas deer sucker ,don't know if you can still buy them and I had a small buck licking on it on opening day a few years ago .Bud

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Had a melted Kit Kat in my coat and took it out of the wrapper and left it on the ground where I parked. When I came back out the Kit Kat was gone and nothing but deer tracks in the loose dirt.

·
Registered
521 Posts
peanut butter with the bottom of the jar cut out and the top screwed to a tree. took them while to discover it but they sure went after it when they did.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
my horses were great bait last year. Deer just kept coming into my pasture. There's a mini game area a bit back from my property and the deer seem to think my pasture is sanctuary because the horses are all grazing relaxed and all. Little do they know the horses don't care about the sound of gunshot, and the horses also let me know when they are coming into shooting range.
And tonight, I kicked a deer off my stock tank.....that was interesting.
Kristie

·
Registered
270 Posts
last year my cousin gave me a liquid that a oldtimer made up for him.. he had given him the nuts from a buck he shot during bow season.. he wouldnt tell him what was in it but it was a little milky.. it didnt work for either of us!!!

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
my horses were great bait last year. Deer just kept coming into my pasture. There's a mini game area a bit back from my property and the deer seem to think my pasture is sanctuary because the horses are all grazing relaxed and all. Little do they know the horses don't care about the sound of gunshot, and the horses also let me know when they are coming into shooting range.
And tonight, I kicked a deer off my stock tank.....that was interesting.
Kristie

Thats pretty accurate Kristie.. I know someone with a horse and he says when he's riding its unbelievable how close he can actually get to a deer before they spook. He says at time if he kind of crouches down a little he literally can usually get into bow range before they take off..............he's checking right now about the legality of shooting deer while on horseback..:lol::dizzy:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Last year my Dad got a bunch of chestnuts from a side job he was doing. After we picked out all the good ones we dumped the rest back in a fencerow thinking squirrels would like em. Next time we checked it was all tore up with deer tracks.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have seen deer attracted to anise oil, bears like it too.

One time in up in Iron County, we were hunting some CFA land, 4 of us. We wanted to meet back at the truck for lunch. There was 10" of snow on the ground and we had a fire going off to the side of the truck. Ohio State vs. Michigan on the radio, italion sausages propped up around the fire. Guns all leaning on various tree's and then we saw him. Wow what a buck. I have three witness's that open fire and sausages will draw in big bucks.:lol:

·
Premium Member
5,603 Posts
I have seen deer attracted to anise oil, bears like it too.

One time in up in Iron County, we were hunting some CFA land, 4 of us. We wanted to meet back at the truck for lunch. There was 10" of snow on the ground and we had a fire going off to the side of the truck. Ohio State vs. Michigan on the radio, italion sausages propped up around the fire. Guns all leaning on various tree's and then we saw him. Wow what a buck. I have three witness's that open fire and sausages will draw in big bucks.:lol:

No, it's the guns leaning against the trees that does it:lol:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
No, it's the guns leaning against the trees that does it:lol:
:yeahthat: It doesn't just attract bucks, it applys to any game that you are targeting at the time. Stepping out of the blind to take a leak is another sure fire way to bring'em in. Only works if you leave the gun in the blind though.

·
Premium Member
5,603 Posts
:yeahthat: It doesn't just attract bucks, it applys to any game that you are targeting at the time. Stepping out of the blind to take a leak is another sure fire way to bring'em in. Only works if you leave the gun in the blind though.
Murphy lives in the woods. Buddy of mine saw the biggest buck he has ever seen through the crack of the outhouse door a few years back:lol: I have had experiences that to this day will wake me up in a cold sweat and beating my head against the wall.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Had a melted Kit Kat in my coat and took it out of the wrapper and left it on the ground where I parked. When I came back out the Kit Kat was gone and nothing but deer tracks in the loose dirt.
Back in 1995 my son dropped a kit kat wraper on the ground when he was at my blind. That evening I had a 4 pt come in and he licked that wrapper clean. I watched him for probably 5 minutes messing with that wrapper.:)

·
Premium Member
9,638 Posts
My Dads buddy bought some Deer Cocaine one year and my Dad said he pulled up on his 4 wheeler to see his buddy and a deer doing lines!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Until a few years ago my grandpa would take at least a half dozen garbage bags full of rejected Lucky Charms marshmallows up to his camp in Baraga County. From what he says, the critters devour them and he wished that he could have gotten a semi-truck load of them up there. Needless to say that he caught some flack from the neighboring hunting camps every year.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts