Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i looked on the web for the laws and all i find is laws about commercially havesting crayfish.all i want to do is get some for a couple cookouts in the summer.so can anyone help me out w/seasons and number of traps or size of traps?thanks
rick

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Crayfish may be taken with a fishing license. Their are no regulations that I am aware of as far as traps or size of traps. The crayfish caught cannot be sold and on some lakes cannot be used as bait.
On a personal note, liver works the best for bait. It holds up well and has always worked for me. :)

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
I forgot to answer your pm. Sorry...

I use a regular minnow trap for crayfishing with the ends opened up a bit more. I set if off the end of a dock in various water depths with a light shining down on it if possible. I put spare rib and chicken bones in it. Any kind of bones with a little bit of raw or cooked meat. Liver will work, too.

Crayfish are easy, so are the laws. The only thing you'll have a problem with is finding the crays, at this time of the year they're still out in deeper water unless they're spawning. Look in the rivers and creeks for spawners.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks i was just looking for info before the season or should i say the warm up hits.liver does work i got a few catfishing one time.we would freshin up the bait and cut the old stuff off.i looked down and seen 5-6 fighting over a chunk.so i got some that way but would like to try trapping them in hopes of a little better numbers.thanks
rick

linda its ok if you forgot me.i hope i dont foget you when i cook up a big batch of them.lol

·
Registered
9,230 Posts
pretty much covered . but ,,,i catch a lot of mudbugs every year. theres some great info on traps and such on the internet. do a websearch. some good time killing reading there.
its a bit important to know how to handle them after the harvest. keeping them alive and cleaning out their digestive tract.
i use a huge plastic washtub with a bilge pump as a holding tank. often catch 300 a day.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
a small version of a turtle trap should do the trick just make sure its small enough it doesnt drowned any tutrtles..usually find em thick around this time....and the dont work half bad on the walleye either

the guide says you can take crayfish for personal use but not for comercial ,,,,

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
This law is very murky, a lot of people misunderstand it. If you don't believe me, ask Boehr or call the DNR.

You are not allowed to transport rusty crayfish from one body of water to another, you are not allowed to SELL rusty crayfish or market them commercially, but possession for individual use is not only allowed, but encouraged-no limit, no season, no rules. Just a fishing license required.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Linda G. said:
This law is very murky, a lot of people misunderstand it. If you don't believe me, ask Boehr or call the DNR.

You are not allowed to transport rusty crayfish from one body of water to another, you are not allowed to SELL rusty crayfish or market them commercially, but possession for individual use is not only allowed, but encouraged-no limit, no season, no rules. Just a fishing license required.
I addressed this in my original post, but Linda re-affirmed my answer with her post. As for the "almost all crayfish are rusty crayfish"....you must be joking right?

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
correct me if im wrong but it seems to me that these little buggers are egg eaters along with what ever else they find...but the eating of fish eggs is why they are unwanted pests..but they are yummy boiled with some butter and garlic

but then i can see after looking it up how "murky" that regulation is its mentioned in to seperate locations and a bit confusing....when in doubt call the DNR and ask but this ones perty clear to me

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Read an article in a Field and Stream magazine at the doctors office this morning.

It had a picture of a 2 liter plastic soda bottle, with the top cut off 1" below the point where the bottle begins to taper to the neck. Then, they took this piece and reversed it to create a funnel and stuck it back into the rest of the bottle. They said to duct tape it or staple it together to hold it. Before doing so, put a few msall rocks in the bottom half to hold it on the bottom for weight, and raw pieces of fish as an attractant. Then lay it on its side on the bottom and it works like a minnow trap to catch crayfish.

You might staple a string to it as well for easy retrieval.

For the crayfish that live in my creek, I would think they are too big to get through the little opening (the neck of the bottle) so I would think you would have to cut it off some to open that up more. Would seem to me that it would work well, and for $.10 a piece, would be a cheap trap to set.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
You're putting plastic bottles in the lake, and taking a chance that they'll get loose, as they're lightweight and easily driven by wind and surf.

Then you'd be polluting that water, and our waters have enough problems. Better to use a $10 minnow trap, you can catch hundreds in one night out of one of those. Or a regular crayfish trap, but I've tried those and didn't have anywhere near as much luck as I did with a common old minnow trap you can buy in K-Mart.

·
Super Moderator
38,414 Posts
I have seen Lindas crawfish trapping first hand. All I can say is YUMMMMM.
The thing that really suprised me was that where she sets her traps is not in what I would have considered the typical area for a lot of craws, no rocks, not even timber, none of the structural elements I would have thought of being necessary for large populations of craws. But she gets them, and ahe gets a LOT of them, almost all rustys. Linda, I haven't researched it, but can it be that rustys, being larger and so much more agressive will stray further from cover than the indigenous species?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I see this is a couple of weeks old, but I have a question for all of you crayfish experts.

How do I catch those stupid things in my yard? They leave huge holes (2" across!!) all over my yard, and every couple of days I have 3" piled of dirt that they build up outside their holes. I have to spend 20 minutes every time I mow the lawn cleaning up the piles of dirt.

Also, can I really eat these things?

Thanks,

Captain Jay

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
JWICKLUND said:
Lucky you!

Sounds like you have the rarest species of crayfish, the burrowing crayfish. Not sure how to catch them but good luck! :)
I used to catch those all of the time when I was in gradeschool in the yard. I just opened up the hole a little and stuck a stick in there wiggling it around. It would usually tick them off and they would grab the stick with there claw or they would come out for a quick sec to get defensive after you take the stick out. Was kind of fun to do on recess. :)

·
Registered
9,230 Posts
virtualy all crawfish burrow, usually in mudbanks.
as to eating them,,, your durn right you can. i keep mine in circulating water for a couple days to let their digestive tract clear out. then cook em up and pile them about three inches deep on the picnic table, with a cooler of beer near by, and keep your hands back when your buddies dive in.

·
Registered
535 Posts
COHO said:
how do you cook them, & how do you eat them. is it like a mini lobster, do you just pull them apart and pick out the meat?

http://www.greatcajuncooking.com/tips/crawfishboil.php

http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/Cooking/Recipes/Seafood/boiled-crawfish - JG.htm

The Cajuns and "Southerners" will split the body from the tail and "suck heads"... Meaning, they suck out all the yellow gooey louie from the head and in the body of the crab!! I just can't bring myself to do that... But when boiling, don't forget the Zatarans Cajun Crab boil!!!!! Adds a bite to 'em!!!

tb

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.