Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come every time I pan fry Crappy they come out mushy?

Can't figure it out, I can cook them right along with Gills and Perch. The Crappy are mushy but the other fish are fine.

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I used to have that problem.....

Fry the perch and gills first, then turn the heat up a little higher and cook the crappies a little longer!!!!

Give it a shot, should work for ya!!!:D

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
That's strange, I've never noticed my specks being mushy. Unless you've got some real slabs there. Then I could see a difference. Maybe if I ever get one over 9" or so, (I fish Reeds Lake mostly) I'll have that problem too!;)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Crappie are a softer filet I think. They just aren't firm like perch or walleye.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Try soaking them in salt water. Always worked for me. LOTS of salt in the water though. Firms 'em right up...:)

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Although I have never had that problem, which might be because I don't catch very many crappie, but what IFN said seems to be right on.

Some fish have softer textures and need to be seared by higher heat. Try grilling Alaskan Pollock. It will flake and crumble after a couple minutes, but drop that sucker in some hot oil and it stays intact.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
crapy flesh is not to be compared to any other fish. the flesh of a crppy is in a class of its own. it has a slightly higher fat content than most pan fish do... u gota turn the heat up a tad like the other guy said... cook em seprate from other species.;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was at a fishing show and Jimmy Huston was there and the question was asked why are crippies so soft? And he said that crippies die soon after being caught, and their flesh starts to decay very quickly. So when your going out in your boat and going to fish for crippies take a cooler of ice and throw them on ice it slows down the breakdown of the meat. I hope this information helps. crockett

1 - 8 of 8 Posts