Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been quite bored lately and alot of guys at work have been asking me to come up with a fly for panfish/bass so i played around alittle and came up with this.

really quite a simple tie.

hook: 2xl nymph
tail: fly tail (just a rubber curly tail available in shops)
body: estaz (any color you want) this one is pearl
head: standard bead/cone head, i wanted to put a colored head on it, but didnt have any small enough.

you should be able to mix and match body colors with the tail and also mix the cone/bead head colors to mimick any jig or mr. twister out there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great for smallies too. I have great success with a no. 14 black knat. They love it. Either the one with mylar looking wings or the one with hair type wings in black. Another black fly they both love is the black foam spider with medium size thorax, large "butt" and 1 1/4 long white rubber legs tied to mid thorax. Hook size is 10. I don't know what it is with the color black as yellows and reds worked very well down in Tennessee when we lived there, but I have run through all my various color schemes here in lower michigan and black is what they (bluegill, sunfish, smallmouth bass, lgmouth bass) always seem to hit.
I thought I'd mention these for your freinds.
Your crappie tail looks fantastic! I really want to start tieing too...
See ya!
David.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts