Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So wheres all the crappie at. Father and I have decided to do a little Ice fishing. Haven't been in 10 or so years. Looking to get out and have a good time maybe get a few fillets for the skillet before we start back to hand lining in the trenton channel for walleye.

So Wheres everyone catching them at.

·
Registered
593 Posts
So wheres all the crappie at. Father and I have decided to do a little Ice fishing. Haven't been in 10 or so years. Looking to get out and have a good time maybe get a few fillets for the skillet before we start back to hand lining in the trenton channel for walleye.

So Wheres everyone catching them at.
Cass lake is the best crappie lake in Michigan its in Oakland

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Cass lake is the best crappie lake in Michigan its in Oakland
Perc are you being serious. I have heard that from other people but I have been working hard to find those damn things on cass lake and I can't. Just curious if this is the standard answer to newbies and people who can catch crappie sit and laugh at fools like me.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
732 Posts
Try Coles bay by the apartments. It gets very deep but there is some good fishing there. Set a tip up or two, leave them after dark too i've caught some dandy walleye there after dark. As far as crappie electronics would be a great help with that much water to cover. Try by the marina at the end of the bay

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Most aren't going to give up their spots, sorry just the way it is. Alot of guys work hard to find good spots and aren't willing to give them up over the net. I'm willing to say just about every lake in oakland county holds crappie, just gotta look for them. Lakeville might be worth looking at though.;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've had great success(many 12" +) on specks at (in no particular order)
Walled Lk
Wolverine Lk
Cass Lk
Middle Strts Lk
Upper Strts Lk (private)
Lk Sherwood (private)
Long Lk

There's more.....

·
Registered
732 Posts
I always kept my spots secret, but after so long I realized the fun in fishing for me is helping others enjoy it too. Finding the spot is only half the battle getting them to bite is another story. Coles bay that I mentioned earlier is a long long way from the public access so you might need a machine to get there or try talking to someone at the marina across from the freswater grill. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I would never ask anyone for a specific spot. I don't mind continuing to look as long as eventually it will pay off. I just like to know I have a reasonible chance of success in a lake. As far as electronics go maybe someday but with a wife in lawschool it won't be soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I won't give up a good hunting spot. But to me fishing is different. I always offer up tips on where to catch fish. We stopped Ice fishing a while back as we mainly Hand Line for Walleye. I'm sure we will find some crappie somehwere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I always kept my spots secret, but after so long I realized the fun in fishing for me is helping others enjoy it too. Finding the spot is only half the battle getting them to bite is another story. Coles bay that I mentioned earlier is a long long way from the public access so you might need a machine to get there or try talking to someone at the marina across from the freswater grill. Good luck!

hey guys, i typically fish the bay for walleye and perch. Im looking to change it a bit this weekend and am goin to hit up some lakes for crappie. Not looking for any spots. Just wondering what usually works the best? Minnows on a hook? Minnows on a small jig? Spikes? Russian hooks? Thanks, dustin
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
It depends greatly on the mood of the fish, and it will be different everytime you go out. Once you find the fish, throw everything at them. Sometimes they want a spoon with a minnow, sometime just a head, sometimes they want waxworms and a jig. i also always put down just a minnow on a treble to swim around at it's own leisure, sometimes thats the only thing they will hit. Good luck guys.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Perc are you being serious. I have heard that from other people but I have been working hard to find those damn things on cass lake and I can't. Just curious if this is the standard answer to newbies and people who can catch crappie sit and laugh at fools like me.
Posted via Mobile Device
sorry for the late reply ...RATHERBOUTSIDE... NO IM SERIOUS.. IT IS WHEN YOU WALK OUT FROM DODGE PARK I THINK THATS THE PARKS NAME... YOU WALK STRAIGHT OUT TO THE LITTLE MOUTH PAST THE MIDDLE THE LAKE..

.........................AND DOES ANY BODY KNOW ANY GOOD WALLEYE LAKES IN OAKLAND COUNTY...........................

·
Outdoorblog.net Member
7,074 Posts
sorry for the late reply ...RATHERBOUTSIDE... NO IM SERIOUS.. IT IS WHEN YOU WALK OUT FROM DODGE PARK I THINK THATS THE PARKS NAME... YOU WALK STRAIGHT OUT TO THE LITTLE MOUTH PAST THE MIDDLE THE LAKE..

.........................AND DOES ANY BODY KNOW ANY GOOD WALLEYE LAKES IN OAKLAND COUNTY...........................

Get the sportsman connection books guys it tells you what each lakes has in it. It even tells you what lakes are managed for walleye. The book are in value able. Best $20 I have ever spent.:D

·
Registered
593 Posts
Get the sportsman connection books guys it tells you what each lakes has in it. It even tells you what lakes are managed for walleye. The book are in value able. Best $20 I have ever spent.:D
here is my best crappie and pike spot... if you launch from the park walk straight out to that little peak and fish right there or
fish about 10-15 feet from the gas pump i caught alot of perch and crappie there:)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Good book for contour and landing info, but don't take the fish info as gospel. Also a source for fish stocking info. I use my book to scout new lakes and to show others where to check out. Contour maps don't show all the little humps and bumps that you need to find panfish, only time on the water will do that.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
PM NEW HUDSON WALT. He will tell you where I put him onto crappie.;)

Walled Lake has some HOG crappie. Middle Straits has a few humps that at dusk really turn on.

There's a lake in Milford/Hartland that has given up 16's before.

Crappie can be harder than perch and walleye at times to figure out. Last night they didn't want minnows. They wanted wigglers! Go figure.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Do you actually have fishable ice there???? I already have my good Crappie spot, but it is about 50 miles north of there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.