Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fishing a gravel pit this year that produces a large amount of Crappie. The problem is I can't catch them at night. Any advice would be great. Rig? Depth? Bait? Right now I am using a two hook set up (size 6). 8 inches below the bottom hook, a weight. I use speck minnows, and I try different depths. I am at a loss.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
289 Posts
Im no crappie expert, but I've done well 3'-6' below the ice. Seems like they suspend just under the ice when it's dark, or at least the lakes I fish for them. YMMV.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with SuperSeal...not near the bottom, could be anywhere in the water column at night but typically quite a bit off the bottom...and I would try losing some of the hardware, at night get it down to a very dark colored teardrop...and very small...with a minnow. And don't always use the whole minnow, sometimes they'll just want the head, sometimes the body, experiment, it should only take a couple minnows to figure out what they want.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you use a lantern to attract them? Do you use any kind of fish finder?
I use both a vexilar and a lantern. Night fishing is new to me, so I am not sure about the lantern. Should it be really close to the hole?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
19 Posts
Doesn't matter how close the latern is. Look for suspended fish on your vex. Usually near bottom where I fish. I use moon glow? I think they are called. Small vertical jig that glows with a small red orange or green dot on the top. That's it the jig and 2 or 3 red and or white spikes. They usually want you to jig the crap out of it. Almost consstant jigging. When the fish covers your bait on the vex watch your rod. Usually they will grab it and not move. So wathch for your line to go limp. I catch a lot of crappie. My favorite species on the ice.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
84 Posts
On my favorite crappie lakes i leave the vex at home for night fishing. I drill 2 holes and put the lantern right inbetween them. I fish 6" to 30" below the ice over the deepest hole in the lake. Minnow on a plain hook suspended under a single splitshot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i love it now i know im not the only one sneaking out on gravel pits and golf course ponds at night, ive done well on the crappie and bluegill using a small moon jig tipped with a wax worm letting it slowly drop to the botton then realing in about a foot or soo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i love it now i know im not the only one sneaking out on gravel pits and golf course ponds at night, ive done well on the crappie and bluegill using a small moon jig tipped with a wax worm letting it slowly drop to the botton then realing in about a foot or soo.
Lol, lucky enough I'm in the pizza business and its a great thing to trade for access to fish. Thanks for all the great info so far. I am taking it all in
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
104 Posts
if you dont mark them suspended keep looking, really no other way and it sure beats sitting, waiting, and hoping.

once found...one of my fav. lures would be a large glow red genz bug with a glow plastic tail...fish on

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lol, lucky enough I'm in the pizza business and its a great thing to trade for access to fish. Thanks for all the great info so far. I am taking it all in
Posted via Mobile Device
lol ya and your probably not 16 any more either but hey what they dont know dont hurt em its just kinda hard for them to skate on their pond when it looks like swiss cheese :D;)

·
Registered
951 Posts
lol ya and your probably not 16 any more either but hey what they dont know dont hurt em its just kinda hard for them to skate on their pond when it looks like swiss cheese :D;)

Probably shouldn't boast about your illegal activities on the internet. Never know who's reading plus you make fisherman look bad.

If you have a flasher, just pre drill a bunch of holes before dakr and start hole hopping until you find em.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
60 Posts
I apologize if I affended any one. And it's not like anyone knows were I live or for petes sake knows my name, "i won't boast my illegal activities anymore":confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a flasher, but the spot I fish had so much structure it doesn't help. Thanks for the reply, every bit helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
731 Posts
I agree with what others said. They suspend at night. I've caught them in 30ft of water right under the ice at the bottom of the hole. I use minnows for them and a spring bobber. A regular bobber didn't work well for me because when they hit they wouldn't take it down. A fish finder is a must and like others said look for fish high in the water collum.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Rellick put it well...Drill a bunch of holes in an area you have gotten them before or feel they will show up. Do it before dark and HOLD ON!!

I use HT's 36" crappie rods and a #8 or #10 treble hook with minnows. This rod has such a soft tip that the crappie pull down on it and no bobber is needed. We have used blues before because the crappie are so big they can eat 'em!!;)

Drill 2-3 holes CLOSE to one another when drilling. Space the other 2-3 holes 10-15 away from the first and so on and so on. Place the "lanterns" near your holes and don't move them (I prefer at least 2 lanterns). Let the plankton and other food sources come to the light so the bait fish move in and the crappie behind them. There are times that the crappie do not turn right at last light. Sometimes it might be 11pm or 1am. Long time to wait. Try it also just before daylight until around 8am when the fish shut off.

I don't know where you live, but you should make a couple of trips to Fletcher's in early March. Crappie fishing can be wide open at times in only 4-7 feet of water. It's awesome!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am no expert but have had success in the past night fishing specs. I use a vexilar and minnows or wax worms with a glow in the dark genz worm. I have found if you shine a bit of light on the genz worm it will glow for a few minutes and seem to attract fish. Also have experimented with the minnows. Sometimes they just want the head, other times they only want lively minnows and when they are really on they just don't care, they will bite. Try something that glows and charge it often

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have been trying night fishing for the first time this year. I bring a lantern and fish waxies and spikes on a glow jig. I mark most of my fish near the bottom, but get more gills than specs. Guess I havent found the right lake yet.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Another thing with the lanterns that we do is clear off all the snow between our holes to try and allow more light to get down there. Don't know if it makes any difference but it is something we usually do.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 25 Posts