Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all the bass guys out there, I'm looking to buy a rod for a dedicated cranking setup this upcoming holiday season. What's everyone's favorite? I'm looking for something versatile that I can throw anything from 1.5 squarebills with all the way up to something like a 6XD. I've looked at the Duckett Triad and Silverado, but would like some more input. Ideally looking for something $130 or less.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I use a 7' Abu Garcia Veritas 2.0 MH it is a good rod for multiple applications. with a Revo S combo can be had under $200

·
Registered
751 Posts
Your really talking about two rods. For deep cranks you want something that can get the crank as far from the boat as possible and accuracy is not an issue. For squarebills you’re tossing at bank structure, docks, piling, etc. and accuracy is really important.

Which do you do the most?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your really talking about two rods. For deep cranks you want something that can get the crank as far from the boat as possible and accuracy is not an issue. For squarebills you’re tossing at bank structure, docks, piling, etc. and accuracy is really important.

Which do you do the most?
Probably more deep cranking, but I'd love your recommendation for each

·
Registered
751 Posts
I like dobyns and st croix rods. They may be a bit over your target range. I use the champion 804 CBRM with a revo winch for deep cranks from dt10’s to dt20’s. For smaller cranks and square bills I’ve got a st croix 6’8” medium cranking rod. I don’t throw a ton of these as I mainly fish LSC.

·
Registered
78 Posts
First recommendation is trying before you buy. If you've got any buddies that fish, try their stuff. Second, expand your budget if you are able, it'll save you spending double later to upgrade something you bought and don't like. I'm a Lew's guy so their TP-1 Black is a great value at $125 with good performance for small cranks and squarebills, for big cranks the Custom Pro Mark Rose 7' 11' is a great stick imo for throwing XD's but its pricey at $250. Keep an eye out for promotions at TW, I got my Mark Rose rod 50% of with a reel purchase, ended up with the whole setup for the price of the rod. Lastly, TW Black Friday and Days of Christmas sales always save you tons on gear and closeouts. Hold off for a few weeks and save. Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
75 Posts
To all the bass guys out there, I'm looking to buy a rod for a dedicated cranking setup this upcoming holiday season. What's everyone's favorite? I'm looking for something versatile that I can throw anything from 1.5 squarebills with all the way up to something like a 6XD. I've looked at the Duckett Triad and Silverado, but would like some more input. Ideally looking for something $130 or less.
I dont post much on here. Mostly just read and follow threads, some are pretty entertaining. Lol. I dont bass fish much any more but have plenty of high quality rods and reels, mainly abu reels. Have a variety of rods if youd be interested. I'm in Toledo, just over ohio line. I'd set you up pretty cheap, I'm sure I'd have a setup to fit your techniques.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
something about making your own rods really appeals to me you can whatever your want in literally any configuration that you can dream up and usually at a much better price!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts