Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Erieau fishing report keep posting that hot setup is using hot lip crankbait 165 foot back. I think it is just non-sense. hot lip is similar to hot&tot and it dives maximum of 16 feet. Do not know how far back but 165 feet is ridiculous. At some lenth, crankbait does not go down any longer. Is there a chart for that? I mean maximum foot back for each crankbait to reach its maximum depth. I think if you send it too far back it will start coming up because of drag on the line.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Erieau fishing report keep posting that hot setup is using hot lip crankbait 165 foot back. I think it is just non-sense. hot lip is similar to hot&tot and it dives maximum of 16 feet. Do not know how far back but 165 feet is ridiculous. At some lenth, crankbait does not go down any longer. Is there a chart for that? I mean maximum foot back for each crankbait to reach its maximum depth. I think if you send it too far back it will start coming up because of drag on the line.

There is a trolling version also of the Hot Lip crankbait. The older ones like I have (20yrs) all had a curve in the bill if I remember right. The trolling version will reach 30' down easy. Your looking at the casting versions!

·
Registered
153 Posts
With 10 lb test mono it would put you approximately 39-40' down. I still use Hot Lips while fishing in Canada(Lake of the Woods). Used them years ago at Erieau with big planner board and mast. They got to be a pain in the elbow, retrieving sheephead was a killer.

BOB

·
Registered
120 Posts
I happen to like the Precision trolling app for the I-phone. In essence you pay for each lure that you need to know how far back for what depth. $1.99 each lure you want to know about, Personally I find this very helpful while on the water, just pull up the app, find the lure, dial the depth, and it tells you how far back. Has been spot on for me.... Or for the rich guys you can buy the entire package for $109.00. Again, I don't have that many lures to warrant buying the entire package. But to each his own. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
167 Posts
I still use the Precision Trolling book. I like the book but I've been making my own spreed sheet for the lures I have. I put them in order from deep running lures to shallow running lures using the information obtained from the Trolling Book. This way, I use locate the fish ( for example 10 feet) and then use my spreed sheet to determine what lures will hit that depth . A lot of lures run similar so you can substitute a #7 Flicker Shad with a #7 Shad Rap and still target the same depth with the same line out. This allows me to switch lures easily and determine if they want a fast tight movement or a wide slow wobble.

Yes, I probably gave this too much thought but it allows me to locate, catch and then repeat.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My main question is: why don't you add inline weight so you do not run 250 foot back? each ounce, I heard, takes the lure down 10 feet.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
My main question is: why don't you add inline weight so you do not run 250 foot back? each ounce, I heard, takes the lure down 10 feet.
With how much line? Then a diving lure goes how much deeper? It's important to be above fish because they more likely to come up to a bait.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
The other issue besides depth is sometimes the fish are extra spooky and just like using lead core it gets far enough away from boat noise to trigger fish to strike.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yeah you can do that for sure, like mentioned sometimes that long lead off a board isn't about depth as much as it is about stealth and spooky fish! I would run weighted lures that will have a steeper dive angle on the inside boards so your other boards will clear easily. Like 200' back outside, 50-50 1 oz, 30-30 2 oz.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
fsamie,

The hot lip as other said and very big billed deep divers made by luhr Jensen. They pull like the dickens and will plum wear you out after a days fishing. The Charters for years in Erieau have used Hot lips, Powder dives Manns Stretch 20-30's......

They have always ran the lengths out into the mid 200's. Many feel it keeps them away from the boat and spooked fish. and they can reach depths into the 30's doing so.

I gave up doing THAT many years ago and use spoons now. Much easier to bring in too. Matter of fact I have 48 lures for sale. 28 power dive minnows, 11 stretch 20's 8 Bomber long A deep divers and 1 Manns Stretch 1 used on rigger.

ps they pretty much run these on the big boards not inlines

Skinner

·
Registered
90 Posts
fsamie,

The hot lip as other said and very big billed deep divers made by luhr Jensen. They pull like the dickens and will plum wear you out after a days fishing. The Charters for years in Erieau have used Hot lips, Powder dives Manns Stretch 20-30's......

They have always ran the lengths out into the mid 200's. Many feel it keeps them away from the boat and spooked fish. and they can reach depths into the 30's doing so.

I gave up doing THAT many years ago and use spoons now. Much easier to bring in too. Matter of fact I have 48 lures for sale. 28 power dive minnows, 11 stretch 20's 8 Bomber long A deep divers and 1 Manns Stretch 1 used on rigger.

ps they pretty much run these on the big boards not inlines

Skinner

Skinner, pm me on the power dive minnows.

·
Registered
99 Posts
We ran the hot lips out 240 ft we we use to fish there and did very will 15 to 20 years ago for the walleye

1 - 14 of 14 Posts