Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!!!up until now I have been almost strictly a plastic worm guy when it comes to bass. I have been pretty successful but want to be more versatile so I have invested in a baitcaster and a selection of cranks and chatterbaits. My question is where and when is it better to pick up the baitcaster and put the spinning rod with the worm down? What do I look for? What I don't want to do is lose confidence with the cranks and go back to just doing what I always do if you know what I mean

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Crankbaits, even the deep diving cranks are great search baits. Not only for fish. But you can find those areas where there are 2 kinds of clumps of weeds. Coontail/cabbage etc where smallies like to hide. So you are completing 3 tasks on each cast since you also find what the bottom composition is. Once you find the weeds that are working. Switch to your chatterbait, lipless crankbait, spinnerbait and hit the area's hard. If you found some nice fish. Go back around with your worm's/tubes.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crankbaits, even the deep diving cranks are great search baits. Not only for fish. But you can find those areas where there are 2 kinds of clumps of weeds. Coontail/cabbage etc where smallies like to hide. So you are completing 3 tasks on each cast since you also find what the bottom composition is. Once you find the weeds that are working. Switch to your chatterbait, lipless crankbait, spinnerbait and hit the area's hard. If you found some nice fish. Go back around with your worm's/tubes.
Great advice!! Thanks. Bummer about cabbage weeds are they seem to be disappearing

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm not great with traditional crankbaits but lipless crankbaits work great in cold water conditions like late fall and early spring. Live target golden shiner is the best in the 10 feet of water near spawning flats on the north end of a lake in the spring is money. Change the hooks out the put normal straight trebles instead of the ones that are curved in. Chatterbaits catch bass up shallow but I haven't had any good size fish on those just numbers. If you want big bass than big swimbaits are the best though takes time to get used to but they work even up here.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Chatterbaits catch bass up shallow but I haven't had any good size fish on those just numbers. If you want big bass than big swimbaits are the best though takes time to get used to but they work even up here.
The home of lunker bass is deep water. They will migrate to shallow depending weather and water conditions in a unpredictable manner. However they will always follow the same route when they do migrate from deep water to shallower water.
The shallows are the home of juvenile and small fish.These fish do not school with the big mature fish.

Reactions: SleepingInTrees
1 - 5 of 5 Posts