Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's the best way to attach crankbaits to mono and fireline main lines.
Direct line tie, loop, snap rings, Doulocks, Interlocks, Bass snaps, coastlocks, swivels, no swivels, duck tape ???

·
Registered
166 Posts
I’m a big fan of the uni knot. Simple enough to tie and strong enough for most applications.

For Kings I normally just uni knot a 20lb flouro leader to the braid. I normally throw a couple extra wraps on the braid side since it tends to slip.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
What kind of fishing are we talking about? Salmon, walleye, or bass. I do things different depending how and what I’m fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m a big fan of the uni knot. Simple enough to tie and strong enough for most applications.

For Kings I normally just uni knot a 20lb flouro leader to the braid. I normally throw a couple extra wraps on the braid side since it tends to slip.
I do use the Uni knot for leadcore, but you use the Uni to connect main line to crank also?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of fishing are we talking about? Salmon, walleye, or bass. I do things different depending not how and what I’m fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Salmon mostly, but if the thinner walleye lines should be done differently I'd like to hear that too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use the uni for line to leader connection. Doesn’t matter on species from bass to salmon. Basically braid to flouro or mono I use a uni. For leader to fly or bait I either use a improved clinch or a lefty kreh knot. Lefty kreh knot is good when I want to put a little more action on something. Improved clinch is for everything else.

For salmon I mainly throw thunder sticks. I run 30 lb braid to a 3-4 ft section of 20lb Rio Flouroflex. My Stradic cranked down to max drag only puts out about 22lbs. So running 10-15lbs of drag as long as it’s smooth I shouldn’t have any issues with snapping off. I also run a 10’6” rod which acts like a giant shock absorber.

Good thing that most of the time they inhale those cranks. Must easier to control a fish when you don’t nab it in the ass.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Salmon mostly, but if the thinner walleye lines should be done differently I'd like to hear that too.
Everything on the big lake we use ball bearing swivels my brother uses the standard clinch knot I’m trying to convert him to the polymer knot or uni-knot though. Note: we have never lost a fish on on a clinch knot. Spoons I always use a ball bearing swivel whether casting or trolling.

Walleye and bass fishing for casting I have come full circle. Started using cheap swivels and snaps, to tying everything direct, to I’m back to using KVD snaps and no swivel ( I only say KVD because I bought a metric butt ton on clearance at Walmart last year). Its just faster to change out cranks. I’ve converted over to pretty much the polymer knot for everything including attaching to snaps. Only time I would tie direct is while using a spinner bait ( polymer), jig (polymer) or top water lure you walk the dog with like a spook ( rapala knot) . Connecting two lines together while casting I’ve been using the Alberto knot exclusively to me it’s just faster than the double uni-knot. Next spring I want to learn the uni-knot on bigger lures as polymer knot on bigger lures can be s hassle getting the loop around

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I only use the uni. I works for everything I fish for. Easy to tie. Able to tie no matter the wind strength, line types, darkness. As you have hand control of the line/ both lines. No swinging around lure for wraps, loop here, pull thru, loop there pull thru etc. Works as a slip knot when required.
But that is me. And I have had 3 hand surgeries which makes everything more difficult.

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
I use a uni to join braid to mono and fluoro, super easy to tie and hardly any issues on my end. There are better knots out there but the uni is very fast and easy to tie. I usually run about 6ft to 10ft worth of leader material and usually direct tie my baits unless I'm fishing spinning tackle, then I'll use a snap swivel.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Uni from braid to any other line. For all cranks, I use improved clinch.

Reactions: Offfishn

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use the same knots that have served me well in saltwater: albright for braid to mono or fluoro, 3 or 4 turn surgeons knot for fluoro to mono, and a San Diego jam knot to terminal hardware (hook or swivel). Stands up to tuna, probably overkill for freshwater applications, but they’re what I’m familiar with...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use the same knots that have served me well in saltwater: albright for braid to mono or fluoro, 3 or 4 turn surgeons knot for fluoro to mono, and a San Diego jam knot to terminal hardware (hook or swivel). Stands up to tuna, probably overkill for freshwater applications, but they’re what I’m familiar with...
I have never heard of the albright or San Diego knots, I'm looking them up now.

·
Premium Member
14,153 Posts
I have never heard of the albright or San Diego knots, I'm looking them up now.
I am a fan of the Albright. It is not the easiest knot to tie, but tied right it will do a good job for you. Personally I double the braid up when tying the Albright.

If there is a secret to the Albright it is to make sure your wraps do not lay over each other. The other is to make sure you go back through the loop the same way going out and going in.

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/albright-special

1 - 14 of 14 Posts