Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any pics of "honeycomb" ice? I was on a lake today that was popping and cracking like crazy under me. Literally like walking on a big spider web. Except the cracks weren't real spaced out. Every yard or so there was a big crack, and lots of small cracks forming. 6-8" thick where I stayed (4" in one spot:yikes: didn't stay) and every hole I drilled the ice cracked and moved under my feet. I figured it was from pressure, from it making ice, but I'd like to know for sure. I want to take my snowmobile on that lake in a week or two when it looks thick enough but new to the whole heavy machinery game so I figured I should ask some questions.. What do you guys think?

·
Outdoorblog.net Member
7,012 Posts
Just Pressure being released no big deal happens all the time. When you hear it breaking apart you will know.lol If water rushes up the hole while it's cracking better be ready to move quick.

I had a huge chuck I was on drop two inch the ice was three inches. I was in the middle of a snow pack. It went from white to slush in a second. I moved pretty quick off of it. That has been the fastest I have ever come to going. :lol:

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
If it is popping and cracking, it isn't honeycombed. Honeycombed ice is soft. It will only honey comb when it is warm, and usually from water being on the ice. Now that it has cooled off, the ice is hardening up again and will crack a bit as it thickens and hardens.

·
Premium Member
29,761 Posts
Be careful Josh, if your worried, just stay off and let it harden up. If the ice is clear (like a window) when you drill through it, thats the best,new hard ice. If its white, you'll know when you auger it. Will feel soft and cut alot easier than the hard stuff. Runoff and snowmelt from warm weather will cause it to get soft and honeycombed, but usually it takes more than a few days of warm weather like we had. I'd think also its hardening back up. If you had 6 to 8", you should have no problem next week w a machine. As long as there's no inlets(streams) or springs in the areas your going out from.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Just Pressure being released no big deal happens all the time. When you hear it breaking apart you will know.lol If water rushes up the hole while it's cracking better be ready to move quick.

I had a huge chuck I was on drop two inch the ice was three inches. I was in the middle of a snow pack. It went from white to slush in a second. I moved pretty quick off of it. That has been the fastest I have ever come to going. :lol:
Worst feeling ever. Then when I went to move right I stepped right into someones spearing hole they covered up the night before.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
My cottage is on a lake that doesn't get a lot of activity. The pressure cracks can get so loud they literally shake the house--especially at night when you are trying to sleep.

I love it, it scares the poo out of most other people.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.. I thought that honeycomb was that white stuff but I wasn't sure. It actually seemed like the stuff yesterday cut better than usual but it could have been because I am getting better with my hand auger technique. :lol:

It's still freaky to have the ice cracking and popping like that right under ya especially when you feel it move a little underneath your feet or bucket. Oh well.. I'll be back out tomorrow and/or Thursday morning!

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So to sum things up, whats the best ice thickness to know your 90% safe on?
No ice is safe ice :lol:

I once read this a while ago, good read on ice thickness:
http://www.crrel.usace.army.mil/ierd/ice_safety/safety.html
It says 4 inches are required for a 1 ton load but I only weigh 130 and prefer to be out on nothing less than 5 or 6 depending on how it's acting :lol:

BTW just read this on there:

"Contrary to what you would expect, a rapid, large air temperature drop makes an ice sheet brittle, and the ice may not be safe to use for 24 hours or more"

·
Registered
618 Posts
i feel safe on 3-4in of ice on a lake i know dont have springs or streams. new lakes or lakes with low pressure i go after a month of good ice at my other lakes. stay on the trails and stay away from the shore.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
i will go out on 3 in of clear (black ice) or 4 in any other ice... on a lake river need 5-6 min yes i know less will hold i have been on 2 but felt uneasy....... we also do ice rescue and been on 1 in that would not break had a full mustang suit on with ropes and about 40 ppl hahahaha it was funny we tried to break it but no luck

·
Registered
208 Posts
i will go out on 3 in of clear (black ice) or 4 in any other ice... on a lake river need 5-6 min yes i know less will hold i have been on 2 but felt uneasy....... we also do ice rescue and been on 1 in that would not break had a full mustang suit on with ropes and about 40 ppl hahahaha it was funny we tried to break it but no luck
So then what are some "warning" signs to see from the ice... i'm new and all, so i don't really know what to look for... (Yea, i'm a noob)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
always bring a spud with you, sound the ice 2 wacks and you are through don,t go any further. Don't walk with other people be at least 5 ft apart. if you are sitting out there and hear cracking that means it is making ice which is a wonderful thing. If it is spongy like a wave when you walk get off the ice. stay away from currents. Deep water freeze last. Stay away from open water. Walk slow on your first time out. it is hard to say whats good and whats bad

·
Registered
242 Posts
We just had a funeral for a good friend today. He was 76 and he new the water of Cedarville like the back of his hand and went thru the ice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts