Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out of my tree tonight and start across our property when I heard a couple of fire trucks going up the highway off to the east. Suddenly in front of me about a hundred yards 3 or 4 coyotes started howling then off to my right about the same distance 3 or 4 more started barking and howling. From the neighbors woods behind me another band of screamers started up. I got to tell ya, I was a little spooked at that point. Turning west I took the shortest way home at a very past pace ! Being in the dark, alone and all that noise around me got to thinking if they would ever attack a human. Has anyone ever heard of a pack attack ? I may start carrying hand grenades just in case !

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a big one at 40 yards but that's as close as he came. Haven't been seeing many deer lately but that may have been answered tonight !

·
Banned
6,739 Posts
Get your cpl and carry during bow hunting, such as an AR registered as a handhum.

Personally, the cpl requirement seems stupid. Why can't anyone just carry a bow for deer and a rifle for coyotes during bow season, or do I have the regs wrong?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I heard them every night last couple nights in NELP. Don’t worry about them. I also hunt in NW ONT where wolves are very present, vocal and far more chilling and they aren’t gonna attack me either.

I shot one of my biggest bucks in the NELP in a cedar swamp about 15 minutes after three coyotes chased a small buck across the river by my blind. I nearly shot one of ‘em but if I had I’m pretty sure I woulda walked out to look at the coyote = no bigger buck strolling by.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Why worry about coyotes. When you have a bear with cubs around. My nephew was in a tree stand with his cousin the first of the month. Just before dark the cubs sounded off looking for their mother. When she answered back so they could find her it was not coyotes that sounded off but the pasture full of beef cattle. They carried on for quite a while. needless to say they got out of the stand when it was still light out.

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
We had one nipping at the hooves of my cousins doe we were dragging out once in Alcona county fed land. Ended up shooting it with his bow. When we stopped it would back up and growl. Weird little bastard.

I wasn't honestly that nervous, but I probably would have been if I was alone.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
They always send a little shiver up my spine when I hear them at dark. Have shot a couple over the years. Only once had a problem with one while bowhunting. The sucker came by me earlier and when I began walking out in the dark I could hear the sucker barking and yipping at me following me. I could hear him getting closer and closer and kinda freaked me out. Made it back to the truck and turned on headlights and there he was watching me. Sucka may have been rabid or something.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
They always send a little shiver up my spine when I hear them at dark. Have shot a couple over the years. Only once had a problem with one while bowhunting. The sucker came by me earlier and when I began walking out in the dark I could hear the sucker barking and yipping at me following me. I could hear him getting closer and closer and kinda freaked me out. Made it back to the truck and turned on headlights and there he was watching me. Sucka may have been rabid or something.
You should have tried to pet him!!!:)

·
Registered
17,375 Posts
We had a couple packs singing at the Muskegon Wastewater while we were picking up decoys last year. My buddy's Draat was ready to throw down...

·
Registered
10,798 Posts
Got out of my tree tonight and start across our property when I heard a couple of fire trucks going up the highway off to the east. Suddenly in front of me about a hundred yards 3 or 4 coyotes started howling then off to my right about the same distance 3 or 4 more started barking and howling. From the neighbors woods behind me another band of screamers started up. I got to tell ya, I was a little spooked at that point. Turning west I took the shortest way home at a very past pace ! Being in the dark, alone and all that noise around me got to thinking if they would ever attack a human. Has anyone ever heard of a pack attack ? I may start carrying hand grenades just in case !

Human attacks are rare, but they do happen. A 19 year old girl was killed by a single coyote on a hiking trail in Cape Breton, NP in Nova Scotia a few years back. I hiked the same trail last year and had a moose in front of us on the trail that didn't want to move off the trail, but didn't see any coyotes.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Coyotes are not too worrisome. They are really pretty much wimps when they run into a human. I’ve had them barking at me when I was walking out in the dark. That’s just a juvenile that doesn’t know any better.
I like the yote howls but the wolf howl is even better. I’ve been surrounded on 3 sides by wolves howling a few hundred yards off and was not really concerned. I have no love for the wolf but it was a cool experience.

Large predators with teeth I’m OK but a little harmless snake and I panic. Lol

Bout the only carnivore I am concerned with is a griz. They are killers with a track record to prove it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts