Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Will it be to windy tomorrow in S. MI. to try to call them in? First attempt ever!
Thanks,
Jaren

·
Registered
68 Posts
And to piggyback on his question....

Is there a better time than not to sit and call? If I can make it out, it'll be my first time also. :evilsmile

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Mornings and evenings are best, but I've called them in throughout the day. Try whenever you can get out. Wind or no wind, give it a shot and keep the wind in your face....you know that though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
TankJP said:
And to piggyback on his question....

Is there a better time than not to sit and call? If I can make it out, it'll be my first time also. :evilsmile

I hunt yotes any time of the day, but i've been most successful in the evening. Wind or no wind, coyote are hungry, especially this time of year. They have there ears open and listening for anything sounding like dinner, Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys
But when calling do you call the whole time in your setup or do you call then stop for a couple of minutes then call again.
and wondering how long do you stay in a setup for.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have been logging in several times a day and reading extensively on this wonderfull forum since I discovered it several days ago.
This is my first post, as you can see, and tomorrow I also plan to try my first coyote hunt on the farm behind the house. A few weeks ago, they (I assume coyotes) ripped a chunk of flesh from a little ponny's leg.
Also a couple of days ago there was a road killed doe in the pasture (we live very close to the highway) and after one night the whole doe was gone, just bones and hide left. They cleaned that thing almost spotless.
So, being a total novice to coyote hunting I bought Jonny Stewart 30 min. recording of a cottontail distress, I also pick-up a small remote controlled boombox at Meier's tonight, and I wonder if this set-up could work. I tried it at home and can get about 30 feet away from the box for the remote to work. I was thinking to set it up in some brush pile about 20 feet down the wind from me and hope for some begginer's luck. Do you experienced predator hunter's think this will work or is it a bad idea?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Roman

:confused: :sad:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
the best advice i could give is dont sit there and let the tape play and play and play. call for just a few seconds (10-15) then shut up for a few minutes. if you spot a coyote turn the tape off and lip squeak (like you are blowing kisses to the coyote). the lip squeak is a lot less intimidating than a tape player playing. the only other thing i can say is start off softly then get louder and at the end of your set be quiet again. good luck everyone!

mike

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thank you guys,

Just got back from the morning part of today's attempt. Followed your directions. Did not see anything - as expected.

Afterwards I walked through the entire pasture and saw a lot of tracks. Also found a place about one and a half square foot under the fence where something must be crossing, there was fresh dig out or scraped out dirt from under the fence. Did not see any hair though.

I am thinking to take a challenge call tape tonight and try close to that crossing.

Hope everybody had better luck than I did.

Thanks for the welcome

Roman

1 - 9 of 9 Posts