Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No im not trying to start anything but because i dont know, i was asked by my daughter how many coyotes have been killing deer thru-out the state? Shes 17 and enjoys reading about the wolfs and she nor i have ever seen one but have taken a few coyotes. I know there must be stats or comments on this because in Monroe County area alone, there are more and more coyotes each day!
Have a Merry Christmas all and BE SAFE!

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Coyotes take a lot of fawns. I know a guy that lifes east of Lansing and while bailing alfalfa he found 9 dead and mostly eaten fawns and seen another fawn being drug off by a coyotte. He thinks they wiped the intier fawn crop of the area out that year.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
My cousin lives in the 400 Towers on Lake St. Clair. He saw two coyotes running on the ice recently. They're everywhere.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I've seen coyotes in Lincoln Park, Allen Park, Dearborn, Plymouth and Livona. They are becomming quite the pest.

In plymouth (where I work) I've seen several deer taken by 'yotes. Maybe two per year and thats only 200 acres and what I've found.

I still don't think they're impacting the deer population as much as car/deer accidents.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
they got 2 fawns behind my house a couple of years ago, watched the fawns for about 3 weeks and then they were gone, checked in the woods and found them eaten, That doe had fawns for a lot of years here but never came back to have fawns again, maybe she got killed by hunters or cars I don''t know but she never came back

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Last winter while I was sitting at the computer, suddenly about 10 deer came across the yard going in passing gear. I watched for a while but never saw what spooked them. Suddenly my wife said, "There goes some more." I looked on the other side of the house and 6 more were going full out. I went onto the porch and right behind the deer came coyotes. They saw me and turned around and headed back to where they'd came from. There's no doubt in my mind they had venison on their mind...

·
Registered
137 Posts
yeah monroe county has a lot yotes running around.....my friend shot 1...i have no story behind that.....my lil bro has a trap set but no luck yet......i havnt seen any evidence of a yote killing a deer but i know they are

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Probably not in Mi., but "Wild Extremes" (the Outdoor Channel?) had a clear attack on the program of coyotes circling, making runs at, and then following (as he ran off ) a seemingly healthy buck. The hunter climbed down and tried to follow after and 'save' the deer, but he was too late... the deer had run onto lake ice to escape and couldn't fend off the coyotes attack. It was pretty gruesome when he found the buck still alive but mortally wounded. After he called the local authorities, he did the humane thing and put an arrow through the buck, ending his suffering.

This was an adult buck. If they can attack in a pack like the wolves do and take down a deer with headgear, they can surely kill others.

~ m ~

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
One of the hunting videos I have has a 15 minute segment of about 6 different coyote kills of dear they filmed that year. Yes these were actual filmed as it happened coyotes killing adult deer. I think it's on one of the real tree outdoors videos.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Liv4Huntin' said:
Probably not in Mi. If they can attack in a pack like the wolves do and take down a deer with headgear, they can surely kill others.
But, prolly not all that prevalent in Michigan. Yotes pack but seldom are packs seen in most areas. Sure, they start to pair up toward mating time but, we never have encountered a pack when we are running them with dogs. If we did, they would certainly turn back most hounds and the ones that didn't had better be fighters.

Heck, I wish we could find as many yotes around here....they are slim pickins but alot of fun to run...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Coyotes don't pack SURE!!

You guys need to leave the house in the winter a little more.

I have taken 7 coyotes in sets from an area in one day (less then 40 acres) Took 14 in 4 days off that one location.

I have taken many 3-4 at the same time in one deer yarding area.

Dave

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Rudi,

I don't know where in WMich you are but I lived in Coopersville less then a year ago and have killed a lot of coyotes down there.

Dave

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
What I thought we were referring to were packs of yotes as seen in alot of other states. While we have concentrations in some areas, I still don't think that we have the kind of packing that other areas have.

I wish we did...it certainly would make the runs more fun---we waste alot of time running the roads trying to cut a fresh track to turn out on. I know lots of guys that spend a ton of time afield and they are lucky to see one yote, much less a pack of them.

How many guys have more than a pair come to the calls at the same time? My son only doubled up one time last winter on the pair with a death wish.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I guess I wasn't very clear in the statement I made..... I wasn't referring to coyotes 'packing up' in Mi. What I meant, was that the VIDEO I watched probably WASN'T SHOT in Michigan ('Copper Johns Wild Extremes'.) Sorry for the apparent confusion.

We have packs 'singing' all around us, but mostly when we hear them is the time of year when the young ones begin roaming and singing with them... we hear pups with the adults through the fields and woods down here. MOSTLY... however, we do hear them during deer season, too.

I have seen a coyote at 12:15 NOON in the field behind the house, not 100 yards away, and watched a coyote carry off an adult (Mom, as I found the babies a couple days later) raccoon at 4p.m. --- sunny day, open fields all around and again near the house. They're getting bolder all the time.

I've been coyote hunting a few times north of G.R. about 2 hours, but if I saw one around here, I sure wouldn't hesitate to try to lower the population by one!

~ m ~

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Maybe I confused the issue as well. Yotes are pack animals but, I don't know that we have the packs that other states do. In most areas, they don't need to pack because there is plenty of food for them to eat and they don't need packs to take on their quarry.

Aside from spring/summer litters....how many guys/gals here have ever seen a pack of coyotes in Michigan. Singles, yes....even pairs but packs?

Packing issues aside, I gotta agree with whoever said that while they may kill a few deer, cars sure as hell get alot more of them. Remember, yotes aren't all bad either...they also kill a bunch of critters that raid the nests of other critters that we happen to like.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
lwingwatcher said:
Yotes pack but seldom are packs seen in most areas.

Agree.

I've never ever seen em pack, never come across sign that they pack. By pack I think we mean a solid extended family unit that spends some decent time running together.

Maybe out wes but not in MI, up here anyway, don't know about south.

·
Registered
514 Posts
A woman in Richmond,Macomb Co. had 2 dogs attacked in her yard by 5 coyotes last winter. The largest of the 2 dogs, a Sharpei, killed 2 of them. The smaller of the dogs, a terrier, was injured but survived after being carried off by one of the coyotes. After a DNR investigation an officer said there were at least 5 sets of coyote tracks leading into the yard.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts