Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coyotes clash with humans, small pets in Detroit suburbs
Trapping, shooting considered

Coyote concerns are becoming commonplace in suburban Detroit because the doglike animals have spread widely, according state officials.

Bloomfield Hills, thought to have at least five coyote dens, has allocated $5,000 to study humane removal methods and is considering hiring sharpshooters, city officials said last week.

http://www.freep.com/article/20081221/NEWS05/812210387/?imw=Y

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
"HUMANE" removal huh?I can see it now,animal control setting cage trap's around the city.Then the paper/news reporting that even the "expert's" can't catch them,must be some new "super strain" of coyote:lol::lol: Wonder how long the "sharpshooter's" will lay in wait at the entrance to the known den's?:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
742 Posts
good lord!!! 1000 dollars to trap a yote? id be happy just to get pelt but 1000 bucks... i think thats a lil much. we need to educate people on whats humane and not humane. trapping is humane and doesnt endanger anything if you do it right and if you want to shoot the yotes just pay a few gangbangers 10 bucks and they will wipe out the population out in a few days with the ak47s and stuff. dang city slickers are so dumb about mother nature...:16suspect

·
Premium Member
12,768 Posts
I think they should move some wolves down from the up. Most of the people that support wolves seem to be from that area and wolves do a good job of reducing coyotes.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Just read the article if Fur_FISH-Game about the wolf lovers. I suspect there are many in the "hills"=Rochester, Irish and Farmington. Leave em alone.

Some years ago a trapper attending a meeting of a group like this with a beaver problem had to laugh at their solution to the problem. Castrate em.
He thought it prudent to advise this group that the beaver were not eating their trees with their nuts-but with their TEETH. These coyote people might take the castration suggestion to heart since it would not harm the coyotes.

·
Registered
625 Posts
*laughs* i can see it now...

"~NOW HIRING~ need people to remove coyotes from west bloomfield...$15 an hour, call for details."

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
ilove it when this happens. All the animal rights and anti-gun cityots learn the lesson of hunting helps control animal populations. i'm saprized they havn't got a prograhm for spaying and nuturing coyotes yet.

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cat dukes it out with coyotes, wins

KENNEWICK -- Buddy is the top cat in his house, and arguably the toughest feline in the Tri-Cities.

The muscular 17-pound bobtail cat, which belongs to William and Shannon Secolo, fought off coyotes inside its Kennewick home early one morning last week.

And while Buddy emerged without a scratch from the scrap, his vanquished foes left behind a trail of dung and fur as they fled into the frigid night

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/kennewick_pasco_richland/story/423047.html

·
Registered
742 Posts
those must be some wimpy coyotes if they crapped themselves at the sight of a cat. must be a possesed cat or something

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I think they should move some wolves down from the up. Most of the people that support wolves seem to be from that area and wolves do a good job of reducing coyotes.
I have been saying that all along. Seeing the wolves are so nice to have around lets trap a few from the UP and transplant them to the wolf huggers backyards. I am sure that there would be lots of volunteer trappers in the UP to do it for FREE.

Wrong. Coyotes in Mi are a fairly recent phenomenon.
First coyotes I ever saw were a pair while deer hunting back around 1958 west of Hesperia.

I never saw another until the late 70's. Since then they have exploded all over the state.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I don't believe the story as told. Notice the guy didn't see what happened. The presence of dung to me wouldn't indicate a scared coyote. If there were hair balls I would guess that the coyotes were fighting over who's meal it was. The cat was hiding and the yotes were trying to get at it. When the yotes ran it was because the owner was coming and turned on the light.
Coyotes don't survive by not being able to kill a cat!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts