Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello I am new to this site, I'm looking for someone to go coyote hunting with. I'm new to this and haven't had any luck with it yet. I have ALL the gear necessary, I think... fox pro call, decoy, camo, 223 and access to over 200 acres of land to hunt. I can talk to them and get them to answer back but can't seem to "close the deal"... can anyone help me, please??? my hunting area is in fenwick, can anyone come here with me and show me how to do this the right way??

·
Registered
261 Posts
i know right where u are if u r in fenwick. i been hunting that area for 20 + years. palo, fenwick , snows lake.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
please help me??? I know I'm going overboard with everything I've bought{and still want to buy} for it but I want to kill a coyote sooo bad.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Get out and hunt!!! It's not an easy task. It took me two years to finally put it all together. Try everywhere u can. Pay attention to wind. Just keep trying and always be ready they can show up at anytime. A shotgun is probably the best weapon of choice. Don't give up.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
:yeahthat: learn from every trip. Pattern them and try to think like them. Put trail cams out so you know the general time they are in each spot. I'm on my second year and still trying to get my first. Josh Mapes told me it took him 4 years before he got his first.

200 acres isn't a lot of property. Coyotes cover miles of area. I'm hunting over 2,000 acres combined over miles apart.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It isn't like deer hunting. I have been at it since bow season ended. They Have To be there to call # 1. # 2 u have to use the wind! # 3 do not call to loud. And when it happens.... dont shoot your caller! I been reading a lot about there behavior, what type of cover they like...etc. watch overdrive outdoors seminar at D&R sports. It will start to click. I have called in 1 Fox and 4 dogs in a month. All the info and questions you can ask will help you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok last night I came really close, I set up n a field and my buddy went into the woods where we thought they would be running. I called for 10 min and they answered, gave them a challenge howl then into pup distress. got them all spun up heard them yipping and howling coming closer:D. then it faded away to nothing. saw my buddies green light and then he came out, showed me where the one that saw him came to-47 steps away from him. said if he had a gun instead of a bow it would have been dead:sad: close but no cigar!!! I have a night vision scope coming soooo i'll just keep trying, still need help with calling though...:dizzy:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
ok last night I came really close, I set up n a field and my buddy went into the woods where we thought they would be running. I called for 10 min and they answered, gave them a challenge howl then into pup distress. got them all spun up heard them yipping and howling coming closer:D. then it faded away to nothing. saw my buddies green light and then he came out, showed me where the one that saw him came to-47 steps away from him. said if he had a gun instead of a bow it would have been dead:sad: close but no cigar!!! I have a night vision scope coming soooo i'll just keep trying, still need help with calling though...:dizzy:
Just keep trying. You've learned. Keep trying different things in different ways. I would hold off on challenge calls unless you hear them do it first. Don't want to scare away the non aggressive ones.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a fox pro electronic call and every time I use the distressed cotton tail I get NO results. what rabbit sound on the fox pro menu should I use, please??? there are so many to choose from its confusing... can someone tell me what sounds I should be using there's a couple of hundred to choose from on the menu...??????

·
Registered
288 Posts
said if he had a gun instead of a bow it would have been dead:sad:
Bow hunting for coyote at night! :confused: That's very interesting and EXTREMELY challenging! Take a shotgun and a rifle and keep at it! :) I don't use an e-call so I can't help you with foxpro sounds.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I have a fox pro electronic call and every time I use the distressed cotton tail I get NO results. what rabbit sound on the fox pro menu should I use, please??? there are so many to choose from its confusing... can someone tell me what sounds I should be using there's a couple of hundred to choose from on the menu...??????
I think in some areas depending on hunting pressure sounds get over used don't be afraid to use bird distress sounds I've hade goo d luck with blue Jay distress and nutty nuthatch.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I think in some areas depending on hunting pressure sounds get over used don't be afraid to use bird distress sounds I've hade goo d luck with blue Jay distress and nutty nuthatch.
:yeahthat:
I've only called in one with rabbit. I've called in several with fawn distress and turkey sounds. I've never had luck with Jay or nuthatch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts