Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you guys help here ? Im trying to see where abouts Coyotes are
in Southern Michigan Im talking south of the rifle zone so if anyone has
seen / shot or trapped Coyotes there please give me a general area.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Everywhere. I know that seems vague but they are. I just had a lady in my office this morning who was talking about a dog like animal that "looked like a small wolf" in her backyard in Rochester Hills. I informed her it most likely wasnt a dog but a coyote, to which she replied "oh my god will they attack us" Coyotes are everywhere nowadays. If you got private land you've most likely got coyotes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with capitan northwood last summer they were in the back yard at noon two of them and i live in the village of dimondale right down the street from the main street its crazy how many there is know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
lwingwatcher said:
There is no distinction in zones for firearms for yotes....
Right you are wingwatcher. Should remind everyone though that only shotguns can be used to take predators at night with a light.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Mr. Ed
You should remind everyone that a .22 or smaller rimfire may also be used at night. Additionally either a rimfire or shotgun can be used at night WITHOUT a light.

Skinner 2

·
Registered
172 Posts
Skinner 2 said:
Mr. Ed
You should remind everyone that a .22 or smaller rimfire may also be used at night. Additionally either a rimfire or shotgun can be used at night WITHOUT a light.

Skinner 2
Don't forget the HMR's:evil: :evil:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Skinner 2 said:
Mr. Ed

Skinner 2
No light? sure you can. just a hand held, or worn on the body light...or mounted on the gun for that matter. you are however restricted to having a light with its own power source, (you cant use a light plugged into your car)

mike

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Doeboy,
Or smaller takes in 17HMR.

mhodnettjr,
Light or no light the choice is up to the person hunting. Lights are not mandatory.

Skinner 2

G

·
It took two or three calls to the DNR officer to get that answer that you can use a rifle in the "southern" area. And that was after a 20 minutes discussion.

Rich

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow ,
Didn't take long for this to get off subject, I used the term " Rifle Zone" loosely to discribe the area I was speaking of. Most hunters are aware of the
rifle / shotgun zones this is why I used it. As for what caliber ? I called
the DNR a few weeks ago to be sure I could use my HMR In the " ShotGun "
zone and they told me the only caliber restriction in Michigan is for The Rifle
season for Deer , So I asked if I could use a 30/30 to rabbit hunt and they said yes " not that I would of course ". They did menton to check into
the Townships to see if they had any regulations though. Back to the
subject... I was looking for actual Sightings, Trapped and or Shot Coyotes
Im trying to see if there is bigger populations in certain areas , I know in the
Port Huron area 2 years ago a guy snaired 45 Coyote " I seen the pictures "
Any help would be apreciated

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
CE,

You will have to do your leg work just like most everyone that calls and traps. Not trying to be forward with you but you have to work.

I just moved off my line I had since I was 11 years old. It a lot of work to start out with a new line. A lot of miles on foot and a lot of miles on the truck.

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Missing the point maybe ?,
Isn't it the reason we all come to these forums so as we can learn from eachother ? As for leg work ... Im not even going to go there .
Dave Lyons
you arent per chance from the North Branch / Imaly city area are you ?
The name sound familiar

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
CE,

I beleive is to exchange info like what calls and what traps and stuff like that storys of the year and just plan good info on what has worked and not, not exact locations. The problems with forums I think is some people think we all should just hand out our info. That just isn't true. I will help get someone going in a right direction but not babysit them and spoon feed them.

If I cared about getting serious about calling I would contact Skinner2 or BVM (I believe thats his screen name) They seem to know a lot about calling. I would never ask them where are your coyotes.

And if I wanted to get into Hound Hunting I would contact BigGame for info on what he though was the best dog and where I might get a dog. I wouldn't just find out where he is running then just drop my dog in the same area.

All I have left to say is there are coyotes in every county in MI. And No one has a problem with leading you in the right direction on this forum.

And no I have never even been over there at all.

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dave ,
Your Asumpsions are pathetic , But I guess you think you own this forum and
what is supposed to be said on it being you have have over 400 posts , But hell ill be outdoors while you post your next 400. Ill give you this , I am not
new to calling or hunting coyote, But I have reacently moved down here from
Upper Michigan and wanted to be sure my trials wern't in vein. With this I will
bid you a fond adew.

·
Banned
909 Posts
give me an IM and we can hook up to do some calling, I found we're just now getting into peak season for yotes down here. i'm game to go anytime, and I love my .17 HMR for night time hunting. need a partner to help me remove some problem fox too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts