Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you shoot a coyote with a rifle is the pelt worth anything? Where should you aim to get the best value? What is the bare minimum amount of work involved to prepare a coyote pelt for sale at minimum market value? Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just wanted to mention a experience I had with polymer tip 55 grain billet from 223.Animal had hole in pelt the size of a hardball!! Now I won't hunt with nothing besides full metal jacket bullet. It just punches small hole in pelt.You might already know this , just thought I would mention my experiance. I had a hard time believing that hole came from that little bullet.good luck

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If you shoot a coyote with a rifle is the pelt worth anything? Where should you aim to get the best value? What is the bare minimum amount of work involved to prepare a coyote pelt for sale at minimum market value? Thanks.
Right now a coyote pelt is worthless. I don't start hunting coyotes until mid-October and even then they aren't fully prime. Coyotes are going to fetch good money again this year so, for me, killing them when they are worthless is poor conservation.
Conventional wisdom on shot placement is to just avoid big bones like the shoulder. When you take the hide off of a coyote you'll realize how small your target really is. Add to that, when you are ready to shoot you are probably excited, so you might shoot for behind the shoulder but you might be off enough to hit heavy bone. Head shots won't ruin any fur but that target is small too.
The polymer tipped varmint cartridges are made to explode on contact and in my .222 and they rarely exit. I will disagree with the advice to use FMJ bullets on coyotes. They make tiny holes alright but that often means a hit coyote can run a LONG ways before dropping. They might not bleed from 2 pencil size holes either. I'd much rather do some hide sewing on a dead coyote than feel bad (Which I have.) that I never found one I shot witht a FMJ round. Been there done that.
You can sell a coyote whole if you are close to a fur buyer, but you will get "minimum" value. If you're going to shoot coyotes on a regular basis, learn how to handle their fur. 1) Basic skinning. 2) Minimal fleshing. 3) stretching/drying. "Put up" coyotes that are prime will be well worth the effort this year. I hope this helps you out. Good luck.

·
Registered
26,566 Posts
Where should you aim for the best value?

The sandhills of the west in December :)

Bare minimum is skin, bag and freeze. This way you might get a dollar or five for it. Oops I was offered .50 cents for one that way at auction.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Where should you aim for the best value?

The sandhills of the west in December :)
LOL!!! If that's what he meant then he ought to head for the hi-line of Montana. Those pale, sliky coyotes always fetch top dollar...actually lots of dollars. ;)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank s guy's. We have way too many yotes on our property. Unless you are a trapper or fur trader they are useless in my book. I was curious what to do with the yotes I take durring the deer seasons. If they are only worth a few bucks its not worth the hastle of skinning them.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Thank s guy's. We have way too many yotes on our property. Unless you are a trapper or fur trader they are useless in my book. I was curious what to do with the yotes I take durring the deer seasons. If they are only worth a few bucks its not worth the hastle of skinning them.
When you get em post free for the taking.I'm sure you'll find someone local willing to put em up if only for practice.

I take coon from a local dog hunter that has no interest in them.The coon that are excessively shot-up or chewed on I just discard and put up the good ones.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good idea hillbillie. I'll be up this weekend for the early doe hunt. I've taken a yote the last two years during this hunt. From the sounds of it the yotes don't have their winter coats and the fur is not worth much.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If ya need a hand with those pesky dogs lemme know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts